MetallicAcid's Fractal Effect 304

MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid's 3rd project - Fractal Effect 304

Sponsored by:
redlogoedit_zpse9fca4dd.jpg

standard-log-c9adad_zps638a2c66.jpg
Inet-logotyp-pos.jpg

rMi983Y_zpsfaed78eb.png

Hello once again! I would like to present to you a build log that I am working on for a friend of mine. 

My friend Henrik approached me just a couple of weeks ago and asked for me to build a computer for him, at which I jumped at the opportunity! After some spitballing about design options, Henrik decided that he really wanted his PC to have a design which was based upon Electronic Arts Mass Effect series... Henrik's most favorite gaming series ever!

Henrik gave me a couple of base guidelines to follow in the design and building of his new PC. These guidelines are as follows:
Simple
Compact
White
Hardware to be able to edit films
Play current games on high/ultra settings
One of a kind
Completed before end of December

With these points in mind, I then introduced him to the Fractal Design Node 304 to which he fell in love with right away. From these  points, I came up with a design based up an armor found in game. These following pictures were used as inspiration, and a base of his design:
N7Armor_zpsaa370bd1.png

masseffect-n7armor4-1024x768_zpsf9afdb61

I present to you the design which was created in Sketchup, and rendered in Indigo Render.

Node304render3_zps95469d47.jpg

Node304render2_zpse0a6b3a6.jpg

Node304_zpsc33a3409.jpg

Node304GPUshroudconcept2_zps6e3d5a68.jpg

Node304Insideconcept1_zps252324bc.jpg

Node304GPUshroudconcept_zps5eeb9da3.jpg

A Quick hardware and shopping list:
Case - Fractal Design Node 304 (Bought)
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe (Bought)
CPU - Intel Core i7 2700K (Bought)
GPU - Nvidia ASUS GTX770 DCII 2GB (Bought)
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1866mhz 8GB (2x4GB) (Bought)
PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 600W (Bought=
SSD -  Samsung EVO 250GB (Bought)
OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1

A small list of mods that will be performed:
Custom GPU Shroud
Sleeved cables
Cut aluminum panels for top of case
Custom LED lighting

Table of contents:

http://www.facebook.com/metallicacidcustomspcs

Looks really cool and clean really want to see this finished it looks like it will be amazing

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

This better not be more renders and no work like the last one.  :P

;) Project 2 is on the backburner until I have the time and money to put into it! But, the design is down, and the work will begin after December, like promised :D

Looks really cool and clean really want to see this finished it looks like it will be amazing

Thanks mate! This mod should be short and sweet, with positive results! Can't wait!

MetallicAcid

Looks awesome!

I am definitely following this.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

This is going to awesome, really looking forward to it!

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

Can't wait

PC everything!

CPU-FX8350@4.2  GPU- Sapphire 7870  RAM-8Gb Corsair Vengence @1866 Case-Arc Midi R2 PSU-Rosewill Xtreme Series 850W  Hard Drive-1.5T MOBO-ASRock 970 Extreme3

Looks awesome!

I am definitely following this.

This is going to awesome, really looking forward to it!

Can't wait

This is already drool worthy 

Cheers for subbing everyone! I will not disappoint :)

MetallicAcid

Looks awesome man LOVE the renders they look outstanding!

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Update 2

Cutting begins!

Welcome to the 2nd update of this fantastic customer build, pegged to take no more than the end of December to complete.

In this chapter I would like to introduce everyone to the alimunium armour pieces that I have cut out, that will be attached to the top of the Fractal Design Node 304. I have just two pictures to show this update, as these cuts were done during the week at work on my lunch break each day. These panels were created from setting up sketchup to print off the design in 1:1 ratio, and then just cut around the lines... Childs play!

photo1_zps68a69995.jpg

photo2_zps8998640d.jpg

I am sorry for the crappy pictures and unprofessional lighting, but I thought the importance to document this step took precedence over a photo shoot.. Once I have the panels glued and filed, I will set the old photobooth and get some glory shots for you guys! 

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think so far of the build :D

MetallicAcid

Nice! Perhaps for the spacing of the body plate you could light up the underneath with red leds?

Nice! Perhaps for the spacing of the body plate you could light up the underneath with red leds?

Yes, I have considered this idea already and presented this to Henrik. This idea is in the testing stage and might not make the final build though if time does not allow for it.

But regardless, thanks for the tip! You have an eye for cool ideas :)

MetallicAcid

Update 3

Wild Bitfenix appears!

I am proud to announce Bitfenix as a partner for this pocket rocket of a PC mod for Henrik. They have generously supplied me with 2 Spectre Pro PWM 120mm fans, and 6 120mm LED strips. I will put these to good use! Here is a couple of pictures to show the items up close.

DSC03913_zps9f98c4aa.jpg

DSC03915_zps2a768c6f.jpg

DSC03916_zps2cc99aa2.jpg

DSC03918_zps56adc2f3.jpg

DSC03919_zpsf2794cf5.jpg

DSC03920_zpse1ef6f70.jpg

Thank you Bitfenix for supplying this build with your fans and LEDs. This will help to make this build even more one of a kind!
redlogoedit_zpse9fca4dd.jpg

As a mini text update, I am taking a half day from work to work exclusively with the mod. Expect some more progress very soon ;)
MetallicAcid

Perfect size strips, here is my approach for the "underglow" effect iwas thinking of. 

1- Use stand-offs (like a motherboard) but use smaller ones on the edges to give the armor the 3D buff look ( like real armor).

2- Tape the bitfenix LED strips on the back of the amor plates and place them next to the edges so you end up with indirect light which is better than the typical small LED circles.

3- Make small holes for the cable routing. ( i don't know the case enough to know where to position them)

4- Make sure the original plate of the case is reflective and without impurities because it will show up with the LED lighting. (perhaps that should be the first step) 

Anyways tell me what you think but I cant wait to see the end result, good luck to you! 

cant w8 to see this gpu

cpu: 3570k cooler: H100i m/b: Asus Maximus V Formula ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance gpu: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII ssd: Samsung 840 pro hdd: WD Black 2tb case: CMStorm Stryker psu:  Corsair AX860 

dayum, subbed

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Update 4

Filing, fitting, fixing.

Welcome to the 4th update of this Fractal Design Node 304 mITX build. Can anyone suggest a better name than Fractal Effect 304 for me?? I swear I am the worst person in the world to think of PC names!!

Anyways, within this update, I want to share my progress after todays work on the plates which will sit on top of this Node 304 case. I have come a long way with the cutting - filing and fitting them together, and would like to share with you some before and after shots. They still are not 100% complete though, and you might see some unstraight lines in the pictures... The final filing and sizing happens when I have the plates sitting on the case :) I have also started sanding in preparation for painting.

Before:

DSC03921_zps9e8f8851.jpg

DSC03922_zps0f0816db.jpg

DSC03923_zps6b8b0f8c.jpg

DSC03924_zpsed690ccc.jpg

After:

DSC03927_zps6214075e.jpg

DSC03929_zpsf120e221.jpg

DSC03930_zps4fd12ed4.jpg

DSC03931_zps17cca185.jpg

That is it for this update and always, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

MetallicAcid