Linus's Disturbing Trend to Clickbait

Eaglerino
1 minute ago, Krytern said:

By just looking at the thumbnails in my feed. As a very visual person I seriously got tired of seeing thumbnails in my feed that look like they're from a children's science show, or Buzzfeed. I am not sure what makes you think it is only during CES, this happened BEFORE CES, it isn't going anywhere. The fact that LinusTechTips on Twitter said so, before CES, proves this.

ok, wasn't sure if it was the titles.

Like to be honest, I think they look fine. I personally don't spend that much time staring at my feed so it's all groovy with me.

sadly youtube is changing direction and instead of encouraging quality content it's now more encouraging to use click baity titles and thumbnails to get views etc. it's a sad change since quality content doesn't get the attention that it deserves right now, unless they resort to click baity practices.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

2 hours ago, Mug said:

My opinion: it's just their way of making money off CES. Like I remember not long ago each video was getting 20,000 views now it's 400,000.

Still, as clickbait goes this is pretty mild and it's only for the duration of CES.

your feed looking like a child's feed, how?

like fair enough, he puts out a lot of videos over CES but you know, that's what we've come to expect for years. In fact, I think this year's coverage is the best yet.

I agree 100%... as I said, I think just excited thumbnails are very minimal when it comes to seeing something like this.... 

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

sadly youtube is changing direction and instead of encouraging quality content it's now more encouraging to use click baity titles and thumbnails to get views etc. it's a sad change since quality content doesn't get the attention that it deserves right now, unless they resort to click baity practices.

read my last post ^^^^^^

Disturbing

If that is all it takes to disturb you, you are going to have a lot issues in your life.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

4 hours ago, Mug said:

ok, wasn't sure if it was the titles.

Like to be honest, I think they look fine. I personally don't spend that much time staring at my feed so it's all groovy with me.

I don't spend much time looking at my feed either but I DO look at it a few times a day and every time I look at it I hate it because of LinusTechTIps. A few seconds or not, it is still several times a day.

Meh.  If you no likey, no clicky.  Quit clicky, numbers go down, things will change.

1 hour ago, chrisholland03 said:

Meh.  If you no likey, no clicky.  Quit clicky, numbers go down, things will change.

Haha.... But unfortunately, as loyal viewers, we want to watch the vids, and that wont change because of a thumbnail, but that makes it look like we want more

I still believe LMG will be pushing content out while at CES.

Give them a chance when it is all done.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

This is what real clickbait looks like:

xZi9Q1W.jpg

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

35 minutes ago, DPersonalized said:

This is what real clickbait looks like:

That is funny because those thumbnails look like LinusTechTips' new thumbnails.

Hello,

I've just joined your forum to speak about something which bothers me these times with LTT videos. See :

gFRoasG.jpg

Don't you see a pattern ? If you do, does it bother you ? If you don't, I'm speaking about Linus grimaces.

Legend says that a grimace on a thumbnail make more views. But another legend says that if the video subject is interresting enough, people will watch it.

I mean : your face is great, Linus. But can you please stop these sensational shots of your face ? I'm a bit sick of seeing you doing strange faces, and  with the CES coverage, I'm prone to unsuscribe to your channel just to stop seeing one of your dumb grimace.

Am I the only one to be bothered by this ? 

NB : sorry for the mistake, english is not my mother tongue.

As a long time viewer, the video thumbnails have gotten to the point where I want to unsub myself. I feel embarrassed clicking on thumbs that look like total clickbait. I still enjoy the content, but the way in which it is being shown off on youtube rubs me the wrong way.

I get that they're trying to tap into the "clickbait demographic" but I feel like that this is a disservice to their loyal fans.

When in doubt, re-format.

I already unsubscribed.

Seeing those thumbnails in my subscription feed are embarrassing. Like if someone caught me watching My Little Pony.

Sadly, according to Linus he will keep using those thumbnails. Doesn't seem like he likes them either, but views have apparently gone up (correlation does not imply causation, might just be CES that is bringing in more views), and more views = more money = the only thing LMG cares about these days.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

more views = more money = the only thing LMG cares about these days.

I like to think there is a reason for that. 

They are out of ideas => new people were employed => more salaries => time for drastic measures for more views

I forgot, but I think in the Razer gifts video he has 10+ people working for him atm?

Not that I am defending him, au contraire, but there are much worse to complain about  like, let's say content?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

considering Youtube's "new" algorithm that is screwing everyone over, Linus will have to keep doing these thumbnails. the majority of LTT's videos felt clickbaity anyways so using these thumbnails doesn't surprise me. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I forgot, but I think in the Razer gifts video he has 10+ people working for him atm?

i'm pretty sure relatives of his employees were there in that video too 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i'm pretty sure relatives of his employees were there in that video too 

Not counting them, their staff list (not counting Linus & Yvone) says 13 on their website, but I'm not going there. 

18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I like to think there is a reason for that. 

They are out of ideas => new people were employed => more salaries => time for drastic measures for more views

Not that I am defending him, au contraire, but there are much worse to complain about  like, let's say content?

I think they have ~15 people employed right now.

Their overhead is ridiculous. It's like Linus thinks more employees = better videos, which it certainly does not.

15 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

considering Youtube's "new" algorithm that is screwing everyone over, Linus will have to keep doing these thumbnails. the majority of LTT's videos felt clickbaity anyways so using these thumbnails doesn't surprise me. 

Blaming "Youtube's new algorithm" is just a shitty excuse people use to get away with making cancerous content that people has gotten bored off.

Also, he only "has to keep doing" things if he values money more than everything else.

Personally I would rather watch a small channel which makes good content, than watch a large channel which makes shitty buzzfeed-tier content.

This video is the best one I've seen which explains the new "YouTube algorithm":

(This thumbnail is also pretty bad, but at least the content is good, because Captain D puts in time and effort into his videos)

For crying out loud, Linus' views hasn't even gone down. They have been steadily going up and up and up. The "algorithm" is a bullshit excuse, because their views has not gone down at all.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I think they have ~15 people employed right now.

Their overhead is ridiculous. It's like Linus thinks more employees = better videos, which it certainly does not.

Eh, if nothing else, it might provide a few new sets of eyes and a new perspective, as well as bring new knowledge into the team, but what do I know. 

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Blaming "Youtube's new algorithm" is just a shitty excuse people use to get away with making cancerous content

This very much.  It's really getting ridiculous. 

If it wasn't for Luke occasionally making vids that are actually interesting (like the cable managment vs airflow vids for instance), I'd have removed LTT's Youtube page from my bookmarks already. 

46 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Blaming "Youtube's new algorithm" is just a shitty excuse people use to get away with making cancerous content that people has gotten bored off.

Also, he only "has to keep doing" things if he values money more than everything else.

Personally I would rather watch a small channel which makes good content, than watch a large channel which makes shitty buzzfeed-tier content.

This video is the best one I've seen which explains the new "YouTube algorithm":

(This thumbnail is also pretty bad, but at least the content is good, because Captain D puts in time and effort into his videos)

For crying out loud, Linus' views hasn't even gone down. They have been steadily going up and up and up. The "algorithm" is a bullshit excuse, because their views has not gone down at all.

i saw that video as well, really like his videos. but he takes time to make them. 

however why else would they change their thumbnails? i don't see any other reason.. 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i saw that video as well, really like his videos. but he takes time to make them. 

however why else would they change their thumbnails? i don't see any other reason.. 

Because they have employed a bunch of new people, causing expenses to rise, and they have to make more money.

3 hours ago, Fooshi said:

Boobs kill men.

Got it.

HAHA yes...