Linus's Disturbing Trend to Clickbait

Eaglerino

I don't really know if I would constitute those as "clickbait." Nothing about these thumbnails are "clickbait," more of "This is a growing trend of how people make their thumbnails." I'm guessing that Linus and his team looked into how thumbnails are formatted, experimented with this a bit on their videos, and probably saw an increase in viewership, which led them to make them.

Do I like them? No. I prefer the older styles, in which you saw a clear picture of the product/concept with a nice text title in there. But would I say that these new thumbnails are clickbait? No. Just a trend. 

I wouldn't consider that click bait.. 

Youtube essentially requires clickbait at this point so whatever and most of those actually contain the info mentioned in the title hence they are not click bait rather just good titles

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I think you need to review what clickbait is:

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, yookwh said:

I don't really know if I would constitute those as "clickbait." Nothing about these thumbnails are "clickbait," more of "This is a growing trend of how people make their thumbnails." I'm guessing that Linus and his team looked into how thumbnails are formatted, experimented with this a bit on their videos, and probably saw an increase in viewership, which led them to make them.

Do I like them? No. I prefer the older styles, in which you saw a clear picture of the product/concept with a nice text title in there. But would I say that these new thumbnails are clickbait? No. Just a trend. 

That's literally the title of this thread.

But it's Linsu's trend, not a YouTube trend. YouTubers have been doing this for years, all Linus is missing now is the neon background. At least, for now, their videos still have what the title says.

1 minute ago, Eaglerino said:

That's literally the title of this thread.

But it's Linsu's trend, not a YouTube trend. YouTubers have been doing this for years, all Linus is missing now is the neon background. At least, for now, their videos still have what the title says.

I don't understand. Your title says that it's his trend to clickbait. I'm saying it's not clickbait, but a trend. My argument is that a trend =/= clickbait. 

Looks to be a trend among many people. It's like when someone shares a link on facebook like "Man made a joke, he could not believe the reaction". Linus probably gets a lot of stuff from sponsors but I guess the rest of the crew behind it gotta get paid as well. 

Youtube's been pushing for people to use clickbait recently because more views means more money. Its bullshit and I hate it. Look at the lets play channels, how many don't use CAPS LOCK IN THE TITLES? VERY FEW

Linus also have to make a large amount of video's. At a certain point, there are no moar new interesting tech thingies to talk about. I mean, 2 things happen in a week, while they have to create 10 vids. (random example) So only 2 of them might contain some interesting content. Other 8 are pointless useless not-so-funny vids. I unsubbed back when they moved into their current building.

I don't really see the big deal. At least Linus isn't putting women in bikinis, though I wouldn't complain, on the header.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Linus also have to make a large amount of video's. At a certain point, there are no moar new interesting tech thingies to talk about. I mean, 2 things happen in a week, while they have to create 10 vids. (random example) So only 2 of them might contain some interesting content. Other 8 are pointless useless not-so-funny vids. I unsubbed back when they moved into their current building.

well they make vary good informative quality video also this is CES they need to make some titles that grab attention. also you have no idea what clickbate is  

its not what i would call click bait. he's just taking the piss out of himself. click bait are titles that offer you something like "we reveal the shocking secret how this 70 year has abs", "pharmaceutical companies hate this natural erectile disfunction secret". here this is clickbait found on nzherald

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 13.29.49.png

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

15 minutes ago, yookwh said:

Nothing about these thumbnails are "clickbait,"

Hey now, that banana crotch shot is totally click bait

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

its not what i would call click bait. he's just taking the piss out of himself. click bait are titles that offer you something like "we reveal the shocking secret how this 70 year has abs", "pharmaceutical companies hate this natural erectile disfunction secret". here this is clickbait found on nzherald

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 13.29.49.png

if you want clickbate look at buzzfeed 

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I don't really see the big deal. At least Linus isn't putting women in bikinis, though I wouldn't complain, on the header.

Put dennis in a bikini

4 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Hey now, that banana crotch shot is totally click bait

its click bait if its tricking you into something you want. if crotch bananas are clickbait...

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

well they make vary good informative quality video also this is CES they need to make some titles that grab attention. also you have no idea what clickbate is

So you really pay alot of attention, are you now... The message you quoted, didn't have a single "clickbait" or clickbair referal in it. Please try again @ slaying nerds...

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

its click bait if its tricking you into something you want. if crotch bananas are clickbait...

I wanted to see him balancing a banana there next to the case for scale, it would be hilarious

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

7 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

So you really pay alot of attention, are you now... The message you quoted, didn't have a single "clickbait" or clickbair referal in it. Please try again @ slaying nerds...

do you know what clickbate definition is? i just said CES is a vary competitive time, if you don't watch Linus content why are you in the debate? how can you have an opinion on something you don't watch.

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

I wanted to see him balancing a banana there next to the case for scale, it would be hilarious

its a reddit joke 

5 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Same here, their video quality (at least for me) was going down hill like crazy. So I unsubbed. Now their videos are almost feels like shouting out: WHOOOHOOOOO PCMR FOR THE WIN!!! MACS ARE TRASH!!!! WHOOOO HOOOOOOOO ALL HAIL GABEN!!!!! WOOOOO!!!. Yeah. That's what I feel when I watched a lot of the vids that are produced in the recent years. I remembered questioned some of the thing LTT did, and their video quality at here , this forum. Nah, did not make a difference. 

8 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Youtube's been pushing for people to use clickbait recently because more views means more money. Its bullshit and I hate it. Look at the lets play channels, how many don't use CAPS LOCK IN THE TITLES? VERY FEW

That was what I assume. Especially channel like LTT that have a huge sub base. Youtube might "require" the content creator to adjust their video style or even do certain things. For example like: using a "catching" title, or something like that. I remembered read something about youtube nowadays actually is going back to their old style. Using click bait to generate more clicks , so that the ads are gonna be played a lot more time. Which means their revenue is gonna go up. And google is still claiming that youtube as a platform and a business they owned have YET to make a profit. So, 1st youtube tried this click bait strategy, then changed to the more subtle approach, now it changes it back to click bait. Cos no one like to own a business that is constantly losing money.    

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.