Click bate with CES content makes it frustrating to know what the product is

MrDynamicMan

Seeing as CES videos don't get their own thread in LTT official I guess this is the best place to post this. I mean seriously, "watercooling made beautiful with one simple product" instead of saying "RGB fittings that make your loop gorgeous" I get that you want to do click bate to optimize for YouTube, but you're making the process for your fans more painful. 

- snip-

2 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Seeing as CES videos don't get their own thread in LTT official I guess this is the best place to post this. I mean seriously, "watercooling made beautiful with one simple product" instead of saying "RGB fittings that make your loop gorgeous" I get that you want to do click bate to optimize for YouTube, but you're making the process for your fans more painful. 

It makes sense, when I read "rgb fittings that make your loop gorgeous", then I know what the entire video is. Why would I bother watching it? Personally, I would rather a non descript title, like "CES EK booth" ( or whoever made that product, haven't seen the video yet). 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Well this is the reason I stopped to watch LTT videos to know what's going on. PCPER is just better to get good information.

LTT is basicly comedy now, so it's funny from time to time, but useless othweise.

Quite sad but as long a people keep wathcing the videos they won't change anything....

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

13 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

It's all about the benjamins, baby. -unknown, 1997

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

17 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Totally agree. It's so sad and frustrating to see that LTT is joining the click bait f*** fest.

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

It makes sense, when I read "rgb fittings that make your loop gorgeous", then I know what the entire video is. Why would I bother watching it? Personally, I would rather a non descript title, like "CES EK booth" ( or whoever made that product, haven't seen the video yet). 

Well it's what differs quality news from click bait. You saying you wouldn't watch the video because the title gives the most important information of the video is like saying you wouldn't read a newspaper article because the title gives the most important information. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

9 minutes ago, -iSynthesis said:

Well it's what differs quality news from click bait. You saying you wouldn't watch the video because the title gives the most important information of the video is like saying you wouldn't read a newspaper article because the title gives the most important information. 

Well... I don't. If a newspaper article is titled "razer showcases new three screen laptop" then I would read it out of interest, becuse there is still lots of unknown info. I wouldn't know screen size, laptop specs, display specs. I wouldn't know how it worked, how the screens folded, and so on. On the other hand, if an article is titled " new rgb water cooling fittings" then I would know that someone took water cooling fittings, added red green and blue lights and allowed the colors to be mixed. What else could I learn from reading the article? 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Well... I don't. If a newspaper article is titled "razer showcases new three screen laptop" then I would read it out of interest, becuse there is still lots of unknown info. I wouldn't know screen size, laptop specs, display specs. I wouldn't know how it worked, how the screens folded, and so on. On the other hand, if an article is titled " new rgb water cooling fittings" then I would know that someone took water cooling fittings, added red green and blue lights. And allowed the colors to be mixed. Why else could I learn from reading the article? 

It's obvious that a title like that draws views. That's what it's for, still doesn't make neutral news though. TBH, the example is quite unfortunate because theres not much to talk about a rgb water cooling fitting, IMO a video on a thing like that is unnecessary. It would be enough to just shortly mention it in another video of EK. I'll give an example where i find the title o.k.: "Slim Gaming Notebook for $800" - Gives precise information. No clickbait, just a short description of what the video will be about. You still want to know more information about the laptop, that's what the video is for. Then i'll give you an example of a worse title: "$599 Cube of DREAMS" - What is this Cube? Is it a Computer? Why would it be a dream of mine? Clickbait at it's finest. The title could just as well be "Cube-shaped computer priced at $599" or something similar and thereby be neutral. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

4 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

LTT is basicly comedy now, so it's funny from time to time, but useless othweise.

Agree. Unsubbed long time ago. Everything feels too cheesy for me. The ridiculous thumbnail, all the obvious product placement, also let's not even forget  about all those "I spend $100000000 on a pc so I am cool" videos. Compare to watching his vids, I prefer sometimes come here and chat with people, see the latest tech related news and stuff. I know I am not the only one who feels this way. So. *hand shake*

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

LTT_Thumbnails.png

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/815706362696998912

Seems like they don't really like it either, but have to "stick with it" because of the stupid youtube algorithm.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

8 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Seeing as CES videos don't geI mean seriously, "watercooling made beautiful with one simple product" instead of saying "RGB fittings that make your loop gorgeous" I

I absolutely agree, the naming of the vids are completely obscure and it's off-putting not knowing what the content is going to be

look at what Paul's hardware is doing - its sooo much nicer
2017_01_09_15_33_03_Paul_s_Hardware_You_

I haven't looked at a single video from CES and I'm probably not the only one

if Linus wants views, he should publish actual watchable content

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I haven't looked at a single video from CES and I'm probably not the only one

if Linus wants views, he should publish actual watchable content

It's what they used too, it seems since the loss of Vessel they've moved to a more "appealing" to some audiences type of pushing their content, which may be working for now, but given YouTubes crack down on clickbait content ( I see quite often a pop-up box asking about if I feel this content is click bait ) it's a failing world that they're trying to start up within.

It's their choice in the end and all we can do is voice our displeasure at how they're moving forward, I am positive though that they will be forced to move back, though, especially when YouTube has another algorithm change.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

39 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I see quite often a pop-up box asking about if I feel this content is click bait

I have never seen this on YT O.o

A lot of channels have been resorting to click-bait lately, including LTT. Vlog channels seem to be the most affected by this, as I've seen several vlogs promising something that's non-existent within said vlog.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I'll still watch it because there's usually 2-3 subjects being talked about. A title can hardly tell you everything, especially if there's more than 1 subject, so watch the vid for that info. 

Also, it's not click bait. Current titles DO say something about the content, or at very least the object the vid is about. Click bait is giving hints and you have to view it to see anything, including what the actual subject is. 

Thumbnails are goofy, but Linus has always been a goof. 

I think a lot of people are focusing too much on "is it or isn't it clickbait", but I don't think that matters. It's just a cheap way of distracting from the real issue. The issue that the thumbnails, titles and content is cancerous 12 year old bait.