PFSense

Jay.Reber

I was looking into setting up a pfsense box for my networking and firewall. What kind of hardware is needed to be needed to build and implement this in a home setup. Thanks

For a home setup, you can get away with rather basic setup, but it mostly comes down to how many additional features/plugins you will be using, VPN for example).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, Jay.Reber said:

im needing it to be a wifi and 4 ports

pfSense does not have support for WiFi, you will need to set up an access point yourself.

Other than that, a cheap dual-core Celeron or something from AMD line-up should do the trick.

You will need at least 2 LAN ports (aka interfaces). Also it is highly recommended to use Intel NICs, Realtek ones have been causing issues in the past.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Dual core anything from the Core2Duo series and up, 4GB of ram and Intel network adapter(s), 1Gbit ones preferably, that will do any home connection with ease.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

• 2 weeks later...

well got it up and running granted i dont have the 2nd nic card, would it be wise to get a 2 or 4 port card to take some of the load from the cpu.

current specs

pentium dc 2.7gh

4gb mem 

60gb hd

Check out Sophos XG Home Edition before you get too far, see which one your prefer. Both are really good but you might like one more than the other.

On 1/8/2017 at 4:30 PM, jj9987 said:

pfSense does not have support for WiFi, you will need to set up an access point yourself.

Other than that, a cheap dual-core Celeron or something from AMD line-up should do the trick.

You will need at least 2 LAN ports (aka interfaces). Also it is highly recommended to use Intel NICs, Realtek ones have been causing issues in the past.

What do you mean it doesn't have support for Wifi?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

13 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

What do you mean it doesn't have support for Wifi?

I have phrased that badly. What I meant is that for Wi-Fi, you need a separate network interface card or set up an access point (additional hardware). Even the existing products on the pfSense homepage do not include WiFi, you will need to buy one for it.

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

I have phrased that badly. What I meant is that for Wi-Fi, you need a separate network interface card or set up an access point (additional hardware). Even the existing products on the pfSense homepage do not include WiFi, you will need to buy one for it.

Correct, a supported Wifi card is all you need. This isn't a PfSense thing though, UNIX support for Wifi cards has always been...frustrating to say the least.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

has anyone set up wifi with an addon card? what recomendations. i just ordered a 2 port intel nic so ill throw it in sat when it arrives. 

if i dont go with the wifi addon card, how should i set up my netgear with the box, and also with the dsl modem  

thanks guys

13 hours ago, Jay.Reber said:

has anyone set up wifi with an addon card? what recomendations. i just ordered a 2 port intel nic so ill throw it in sat when it arrives. 

if i dont go with the wifi addon card, how should i set up my netgear with the box, and also with the dsl modem  

thanks guys

Have used a TP-LINK WN881ND which worked out of the box.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply