searching for a UP2715K compatible graphic card

Pandry

Hello everyone,

My father bought a computer with a Nvidia Quadro K1200 graphic card.

The problem is that he already had a Dell UP2715K monitor (a 5k 10-bit colour depth monitor), and the K1200 does not support a 5K resolution (as I saw here), and I had some problems with it (here I did ask for help in the Dell forum).

He likes to edit photos, so he would use the computer only to edit photos and, eventually, surf the web.

Now I'm searching for an alternative graphic card with 10-bit colour depth and 5k resolution support.

I saw that the AMD RX 480 supports 5K resolution and even 10-bit colour depth, but I'm not sure about it and I don't know if it would be a valid alternative.

(If possible he would not like to spend too much)

Excuse me if I was unclear or there are mistakes in the post since English is not my primary language.

8 minutes ago, Pandry said:

Hello everyone,

My father bought a computer with a Nvidia Quadro K1200 graphic card.

The problem is that he already had a Dell UP2715K monitor (a 5k 10-bit colour depth monitor), and the K1200 does not support a 5K resolution (as I saw here), and I had some problems with it (here I did ask for help in the Dell forum).

He likes to edit photos, so he would use the computer only to edit photos and, eventually, surf the web.

Now I'm searching for an alternative graphic card with 10-bit colour depth and 5k resolution support.

I saw that the AMD RX 480 supports 5K resolution and even 10-bit colour depth, but I'm not sure about it and I don't know if it would be a valid alternative.

(If possible he would not like to spend too much)

Excuse me if I was unclear or there are mistakes in the post since English is not my primary language.

He needs two things for the GPU:

• Dual DisplayPorts because the UP2715K requires dual DP for that 5K resolution.
  • He also needs a GPU that supports 10-bit color for OpenGL, since he uses it for editing photos.
  • I recommend a minimum of a Quadro M2000 or M4000.  I don't know which AMD cards support 10-bit color for OpenGL.

Check if the current K1200 Quadro GPU he has will support that 5K resolution by connecting the dual DP cables that come with the monitor. If you only connect one cable, you get only a maximum resolution of 3840x2160.  For the 5K resolution, you need to connect two cables.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

He needs two things for the GPU:

• Dual DisplayPorts because the UP2715K requires dual DP for that 5K resolution.
  • He also needs a GPU that supports 10-bit color for OpenGL, since he uses it for editing photos.
  • I recommend a minimum of a Quadro M2000 or M4000.  I don't know which AMD cards support 10-bit color for OpenGL.

and he needs to make sure the GPU he buys is supported by the software he's using as well ;)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

and he needs to make sure the GPU he buys is supported by the software he's using as well ;)

If he is using Windows and Photoshop, they support 10-bit color with the right GPU and drivers.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I already saw the M2000, but I was searching for something more cheap

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

He got the photoshop photographer license (the one with photoshop, lightroom and camera raw)(this one)

So I think most of the GPUs on the market are supported

26 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I don't know which AMD cards support 10-bit color for OpenGL.

Pretty much any AMD card on the shelves right now is capable of doing it, but only FirePro cards will actually allow true 10-bit rendering in Adobe.

"Rawr XD"

1 minute ago, Aniallation said:

Pretty much any AMD card on the shelves right now is capable of doing it, but only FirePro cards will actually allow true 10-bit rendering in Adobe.

I'm not really into the AMD market, could you suggest me a valid AMD card with a 10-bit colour depth in grade of support a 5K display?

32 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

For the 5K resolution, you need to connect two cables.

I already know that, but I'm searching for a card in grade of support a 5K output with a 10-bit color depth

I made him buy a M2000, it's looks it's okay

What about a 1060 or 1070? Those support 10-bit color and have way better performance.

Edit: after looking around, it seems no one really has any information as to whether pascal supports 10-bit using OpenGL (the api used by photoshop). Maybe someone around here can test? If someone knows of someone who can, please tag them.

@OP if no one here can test it, maybe you can call nvidia and ask if you can use 10-but color in OpenGL programs.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.