How does folding on a laptop ruin it's lifespan?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
5 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Wow.

I still have NO idea why it just completely destroys laptops...

The hotter the components the shorter the life time. Laptops run hot. 

I can't seem to understand how folding on a laptop for any amount of time, whether it be 1 day or 1 week, can cause it to be permanently damaged (not including the battery).So, what do you suppose will happen to a laptop if I fold on it for a prolonged period of time? Will it fail? If it will, why exactly will folding without a battery damage it?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Check the cooling of the laptop. if the CPU, pegged at 100%, runs very hot, then don't fold. some laptops really aren't built for 100% CPU usage at all times.

if the laptop runs cool enough, I don't really see a problem.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Check the cooling of the laptop. if the CPU, pegged at 100%, runs very hot, then don't fold. some laptops really aren't built for 100% CPU usage at all times.

if the laptop runs cool enough, I don't really see a problem.

Then how does 100% CPU usage damage a laptop, if there are no heating problems?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

9 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

I can't seem to understand how folding on a laptop for any amount of time, whether it be 1 day or 1 week, can cause it to be permanently damaged (not including the battery).So, what do you suppose will happen to a laptop if I fold on it for a prolonged period of time? Will it fail? If it will, why exactly will folding without a battery damage it?

see most laptops dont have great cooling capabilities and theyre cooling capabilities are only ment for the time its battery will last ie 4 for example and if it goes for more than four hours especially on load the heat will not be able to be cooled permantly damaging your cpu and gpu same reason why you do not want to overclock a pc before folding and most laptops have terrible cooling systems and underclocked cpus and gpus also please specify what laptop you have

What kind of laptop? One similar to a yoga where it can rotate almost 360o? If you continuously move the hinges aggressively, I could see how that would damage it however I fail to see how normal use would be damaging. Laptops are designed to be somewhat to very mobile, unless you have a very old laptop I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: I just realized you meant if your computer is on and under load...

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

1 minute ago, courtiousdoge said:

see most laptops dont have great cooling capabilities and theyre cooling capabilities are only ment for the time its battery will last ie 4 for example and if it goes for more than four hours especially on load the heat will not be able to be cooled permantly damaging your cpu and gpu same reason why you do not want to overclock a pc before folding most laptops have terrible cooling systems at nd underclocked cpu and gpus also please specify what laptop you have

Lets say, on a dell XPS 13

2 minutes ago, JerrBear said:

What kind of laptop? One similar to a yoga where it can rotate almost 360o? If you continuously move the hinges aggressively, I could see how that would damage it however I fail to see how normal use would be damaging. Laptops are designed to be somewhat to very mobile, unless you have a very old laptop I wouldn't worry about it.

ha, ha

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

which mac?air or pro?

Sorry, I changed the example

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

ha, ha

just realized he meant if the computer is running ;p

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

6 years back, I started using BOINC on my laptop, after a year of BOINC I killed the GPU which was the endgame for that one. (FYI it had AMD HD4XXX series gpu not sure which one though)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

6 years back, I started using BOINC on my laptop, after a year of BOINC I killed the GPU which was the endgame for that one. (FYI it had AMD HD4XXX series gpu not sure which one though)

Wow.

2 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Wow.

in my case one of the VRMs were done.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

Wow.

first of all look at my previous post for the answer and secondly you cant do shit with a mac it has passive cooling and cant even stay cool for the duration it has batter life(Which btw is lower than the iq you need to buy one) and the pro has extremely tiny fans and most macs have a igpu and terribly underclocked cpus that are beaten by mobile phones 

first of all look at my previous post for the answer and secondly you cant do shit with a mac it has passive cooling and cant even stay cool for the duration it has batter life(Which btw is lower than the iq you need to buy one) and the pro has extremely tiny fans and most macs have a igpu and terribly underclocked cpus that are beaten by mobile phones 

Half of your statement is incorrect.

And I was not even talking about a mac.

"the pro has extremely tiny fans and most macs have a igpu and terribly underclocked cpus that are beaten by mobile phones "

What do you mean by "cpus that are beaten by mobile phones" ? Was that a typo? There exists no such phone less expensive than a mac that is more powerful than a macbook pro from the recent years.

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

Half of your statement is incorrect.

And I was not even talking about a mac.

"the pro has extremely tiny fans and most macs have a igpu and terribly underclocked cpus that are beaten by mobile phones "

What do you mean by "cpus that are beaten by mobile phones" ? Was that a typo? There exists no such phone less expensive than a mac that is more powerful than a macbook pro from the recent years.

not a macbook pro a macbook air lol 

Just now, courtiousdoge said:

Still, incorrect.

A macbook air still is more powerful than any phone less expensive than it.

If you are talking about the macbook air with butterfly switches, then you are probably correct.

Not even. only the MacBook with one USB-C port has a core M which really sucks. other than that the macs are at least more powerful than phones

Desktop:

Laptop:

34 minutes ago, JerrBear said:

Edit: I just realized you meant if your computer is on and under load...

Ahahaha I lol'd

That's an F in the profile pic

laptop = bad cooling

folding = 100% usage for long periods

100% usage = high temps

high temps = faster wear on components

faster wear on components = rip 

rip = cry

cry = being a little bitch

being a little bitch = single

single = more money

more money = more laptops to fold with

more laptops to fold with = ??? 

Folding with a laptop will destroy your battery at first then the temps are going to be hotter if not maintained then internal components will be weaker. so don't do it.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I've been running the chrome version of folding on my laptop whenever I'm at school for a bit over a year now. My laptop's still going strong but I only do it when I'm in school because my school likes to run the AC at 16C or something. Besides I use the exhaust of the laptop to warm my fingers.

Edit: I might have just necroed the thread. Crap. >.<

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

On 1/15/2017 at 4:58 PM, Geralt said:

I've been running the chrome version of folding on my laptop whenever I'm at school for a bit over a year now. My laptop's still going strong but I only do it when I'm in school because my school likes to run the AC at 16C or something. Besides I use the exhaust of the laptop to warm my fingers.

Edit: I might have just necroed the thread. Crap. >.<

cool