Norway becomes first country to kill FM radio

In 1933 the world was introduced to a new way of broadcasting audio to the masses that had better quality over AM radio yet was still accessible to listeners which laid the foundations for a boom in the music industry. FM radio is still one of the places many people discover music and this has been the case for years from people listening in the sanctuary of their home to commuters and riders trying to escape from the stresses of traffic. It is now 2017 and many people have streaming services such as Spotify on their devices which gives them access to a massive amount of music from different artists albeit at a premium for some services such as the aforementioned one. Norway's parliament has ruled that FM radio should be killed which the populace hasn't seemed to agree with.

Norway will become the first country to switch entirely from FM radio to digital broadcasting, after an unpopular decision from parliament gave the go-ahead. Few are happy about this move: a poll showed that 66 percent of Norwegians opposed the switch, while only 17 percent supported it.

Popular Mechanics pointed out the many problems with the decision to push forward digital services over the FM broadcasting method

They have some good reasons to worry. Though Norway currently broadcasts using both traditional FM and digital methods, many people still listen the old fashioned way. Particularly concerning are the 2 million cars on the road that can't receive a digital transmission. To do so, they'd need to buy a digital audio broadcasting (DAB) receiver, which costs the equivalent of $175 in U.S. currency. In the case of an emergency, these cars may not be able to hear a crucial radio broadcast. Elderly people are also less likely to listen to the radio digitally, putting them more at risk for missing out on an emergency announcement.

Norway isn't the only nation that is looking into the phasing out of the aging FM radio with Switzerland inching closer towards the decision, a report from the Washington Post says 

A number of countries have suggested they might also shut down FM at some point soon. Switzerland, for example, has set a date of 2020 for a switch from FM to AM. “Many countries are now looking to Norway to learn,” Ole Jorgen Torvmark, head of a project called Digital Radio Norway being run by national broadcasters to aid the transition, said when the 2017 shutdown was first announced in 2015.

I am personally on the line as to whether the decision is to be called for or not given the many implications it has for the millions of listeners who rely on FM radio as a means to receive entertainment. On the other hand, it is quite inevitable to see such an old broadcasting method to be replaced by digital means which has already been happening for televisions' with the slow death of cable against the uprising of services such as Netflix and Hulu. The decision seems to mainly focus on the cost of keeping such systems in place for FM radio to survive. I am not quite sure what to think of this; I must say as disclosure that I use streaming services that quite frankly replace the AM and FM radio stations I used to tune in at. 

Sources: Popular Mechanics, Washington Post

Damn. Never expected this to happen.. That's what you get from That area of countries that are always making weird decisions.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

It'd never happen in the US. Too much of an industry built around the FM and AM bands. I could eventually see control of the airwaves being handed over to private industry, but even that would be a mess.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

Over in the States, you'd be better off pushing a boulder uphill. Not only is the install base for FM receivers massive, replacement with digital equipment, particularly for older cars is like to be cost prohibitive.

What digital standard is set to replace FM anyway? Cell service tends not to be very reliable for those commuting through rural areas (in my case, non existent). Satellite Radio for some reason also commands a price premium few will pay for essentially the same function as an FM receivers. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Yeah cars are the big one. It's where people do most of the their radio listening, and in the UK cars are still being sold without DAB as even an option. And then there are all the cars that can't easily be upgraded, old ones pre 2000 being pretty easy, newish cars being near impossible without a janky, untidy solution that almost certainly won't respond to the steering wheel controls.

My 2004 Subaru Legacy for example would need a new headunit, for which it would need the eye-watering expensive fascia adapter that you can only get from Japan. And then there is the aerial, which is incorporated into one of the rear windows, I don't know if I'd need a new aerial or if an adapter would work with it? Either way if it involves taking the headlining out I'm not even entertaining the idea. My 1994 Mazda MX5 (Miata for or American cousins) would be pretty straight forward though.

Luckily in the UK the government have stopped talking about shutting off the FM signal, so I'm safe for a few years yet.

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

What digital standard is set to replace FM anyway? Cell service tends not to be very reliable for those commuting through rural areas (in my case, non existent). Satellite Radio for some reason also commands a price premium few will pay for essentially the same function as an FM receivers. 

In Europe, and I believe Australia, it's something called DAB or DAB+ depending on country (because customer confusion really drives uptake right?). Very similar to how FM works, just being digital saves a hell of lot of wavelength space. In the US you have satellite radio instead.

Well we knew this was about to happen since it was announced some time ago. We even had a thread almost 2 years ago. No reason to be surprised. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

50 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Over in the States, you'd be better off pushing a boulder uphill. Not only is the install base for FM receivers massive, replacement with digital equipment, particularly for older cars is like to be cost prohibitive.

and you think it isnt going to cost a fucking fortune for us too? The people of the country DOES NOT WANT DAB+. Yet it is forced down our throats irregardless, and the reason is that this whole fucking mess turned into a massive political moon-landing. If the government were to give up now and not do it, it would destroy their relationship with the people (as if they havent done a good job at that already).

I own a car, it costs 2.5k NOK (300ish USD) to get a decent DAB+ adapter for a car (there are cheaper options but they are unreliable. My brother is a car mechanic and has warned me of all the brands they very frequently get complaints about).

If we extrapolate on that thought, there is 3,450,143 Vehicles that commonly feature radios (Cars, trailers, tractors, buses, combi vehicles, company vehicles) in norway, if we assume everyone goes for the most stable product (2.5k ish nok) we are talking about a cost for the Norwegian society of around 8,625,357,500 NOK, that is slightly more then 1 billion USD, that the people of the country have to pay to keep listening to radio.

Even if we go by the cheapest and shittiest DAB+ adapter there is atm, which costs 699 NOK, we are still looking at 2,411,649,957 NOK in order to listen to radio. That is 282,545,144 USD.... That the 5.5 million people in norway will have to pay in order to listen to radio.

The sinister part here is that everything in norway has a 25% flat out VAT. Meaning out of the money we pay, the government will get 602,912,489 to 2,156,339,375 NOK in tax revenue from this plan.... So if you think that isnt bad enough, 25% of my money would go back to the government that screwed me over in the first place. Usually i dont mind paying VAT due to the obvious benefits i get from doing so, but this time i am totally against the notion. Sadly what the government doesnt understand is that quite alot of people are just going to not bother and listen to CDs or plug in their phone with a AUX cord.

My only worry is emergency use of FM and AM but then again military and ambulance has theirs and such an emergency use where all radios are dead would only happen in case of massive solar flare or something else generating massive pulse. So we're safe I guess.

1 minute ago, edsdrafts said:

My only worry is emergency use of FM and AM but then again military and ambulance has theirs and such an emergency use where all radios are dead would only happen in case of massive solar flare or something else generating massive pulse. So we're safe I guess.

not that the emergency news function worked in Norwegian FM outside of the three biggest cities anyways. Same with the Traffic Announcment thing (TA). Was barely if ever used, and half of the time it just sounded like static cuz the system was broken.

When the government needed to spread emergency news, they used their own 3 radio stations (P1, P2, P3) and paid privately run stations to broadcast the news too.

26 minutes ago, Prysin said:

and you think it isnt going to cost a fucking fortune for us too? The people of the country DOES NOT WANT DAB+. Yet it is forced down our throats irregardless, and the reason is that this whole fucking mess turned into a massive political moon-landing. If the government were to give up now and not do it, it would destroy their relationship with the people (as if they havent done a good job at that already).

I own a car, it costs 2.5k NOK (300ish USD) to get a decent DAB+ adapter for a car (there are cheaper options but they are unreliable. My brother is a car mechanic and has warned me of all the brands they very frequently get complaints about).

If we extrapolate on that thought, there is 3,450,143 Vehicles that commonly feature radios (Cars, trailers, tractors, buses, combi vehicles, company vehicles) in norway, if we assume everyone goes for the most stable product (2.5k ish nok) we are talking about a cost for the Norwegian society of around 8,625,357,500 NOK, that is slightly more then 1 billion USD, that the people of the country have to pay to keep listening to radio.

Even if we go by the cheapest and shittiest DAB+ adapter there is atm, which costs 699 NOK, we are still looking at 2,411,649,957 NOK in order to listen to radio. That is 282,545,144 USD.... That the 5.5 million people in norway will have to pay in order to listen to radio.

The sinister part here is that everything in norway has a 25% flat out VAT. Meaning out of the money we pay, the government will get 602,912,489 to 2,156,339,375 NOK in tax revenue from this plan.... So if you think that isnt bad enough, 25% of my money would go back to the government that screwed me over in the first place. Usually i dont mind paying VAT due to the obvious benefits i get from doing so, but this time i am totally against the notion. Sadly what the government doesnt understand is that quite alot of people are just going to not bother and listen to CDs or plug in their phone with a AUX cord.

I really don't want to take away your right to be concerned, but this really is a #firstworldproblem

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

17 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I really don't want to take away your right to be concerned, but this really is a #firstworldproblem

is it? is it a firstworld problem when your government forces you to pay large sums of money to keep doing something which has been working perfectly fine for nearly 90 years? In other countries, this would be considered a form of oppression of information. Despite our living standard, not everyone can afford the new DAB+ units. Not to mention that when the government started warning about the closure of FM network, they said everyone should move to DAB. Problem is, they later changed the system so now only DAB+ is going to work, so an additional 300,000-500,000 DAB units will have to be scrapped after just 4-5 years, because the government further changed their minds and made even DAB not work... This further generates revenue for the government in the form of harvesting VAT through purchases

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

is it? is it a firstworld problem when your government forces you to pay large sums of money to keep doing something which has been working perfectly fine for nearly 90 years? In other countries, this would be considered a form of oppression of information. Despite our living standard, not everyone can afford the new DAB+ units. Not to mention that when the government started warning about the closure of FM network, they said everyone should move to DAB. Problem is, they later changed the system so now only DAB+ is going to work, so an additional 300,000-500,000 DAB units will have to be scrapped after just 4-5 years, because the government further changed their minds and made even DAB not work... This further generates revenue for the government in the form of harvesting VAT through purchases

It really depends what you compare it to. Our government has doubled the price of petrol within less than a decade. If you take a look at the Middle East, or north Africa, losing one kind of radio suddenly seems like a nitpick.

But I said it on my post, I don't want to keep you and your compatriots from your right to complain about it. Your government just did away with a service in a non gradual way after all.

I do have to wonder though, how does a government enforce that? Like, do they make it illegal to broadcast FM waves?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

Damn. Never expected this to happen.. That's what you get from That area of countries that are always making weird decisions.

What weird decisions?

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It really depends what you compare it to. Our government has doubled the price of petrol within less than a decade. If you take a look at the Middle East, or north Africa, losing one kind of radio suddenly seems like a nitpick.

But I said it on my post, I don't want to keep you and your compatriots from your right to complain about it. Your government just did away with a service in a non gradual way after all.

I do have to wonder though, how does a government enforce that? Like, do they make it illegal to broadcast FM waves?

doubled the price of petrol... (rofl) where do you live?
I mean, we get increased petrol prices each half year for the sake of "enviroment"... as if screwing over the transport and shipping sector is going to change anything other then the Norwegian economy...

They wont shut down or make FM illegal. FM will still exist onwards, but the network will be sold to private entities and operated by small local radios. Thus coverage will be shitty and channel selection even worse.

They will "effectively" shut it down by migrating every big and popular radio channel from FM over to DAB+. All government channels will be DAB+ only by the end of 2017. Alongside that will be P4 and Radio Norge. Which together with P1, P2 and P3 more or less accounts of 80%+ of all radio listeners.

doubled the price of petrol... (rofl) where do you live?

A country that promised no petrol price increases xD

It's not because of environment, it's because our petrol company is owned by the government and so corrupt it absorbed the budget forany new infrastucture. So we had to start importing petrol.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

They wont shut down or make FM illegal. FM will still exist onwards, but the network will be sold to private entities and operated by small local radios. Thus coverage will be shitty and channel selection even worse.

They will "effectively" shut it down by migrating every big and popular radio channel from FM over to DAB+. All government channels will be DAB+ only by the end of 2017. Alongside that will be P4 and Radio Norge. Which together with P1, P2 and P3 more or less accounts of 80%+ of all radio listeners.

I see. Well that sucks. But maybe radio stations have an internet stream you can listen to through your phone?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

A country that promised no petrol price increases xD

It's not because of environment, it's because our petrol company is owned by the government and so corrupt it absorbed the budget forany new infrastucture. So we had to start importing petrol.

I see. Well that sucks. But maybe radio stations have an internet stream you can listen to through your phone?

sure they do, but that is besides the point, mostly because LTE+ (yes, we have superspeed LTE in norway) and normal LTE will eat your phone battery in half a day... Phones hit their "top" about 2 years ago, with the SD806 SoC... everything after that is just trying to catch apple at performance whilst ignoring battery life. And as a result, it is a hopelessly impractical solution. Not to mention, if you stream it on your phone, you will most likely be the only one able to listen.

sure they do, but that is besides the point, mostly because LTE+ (yes, we have superspeed LTE in norway) and normal LTE will eat your phone battery in half a day... Phones hit their "top" about 2 years ago, with the SD806 SoC... everything after that is just trying to catch apple at performance whilst ignoring battery life. And as a result, it is a hopelessly impractical solution. Not to mention, if you stream it on your phone, you will most likely be the only one able to listen.

I gotcha. It's not a perfect solution and removing FM in such a blunt way will stir the population, with good reason.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I gotcha. It's not a perfect solution and removing FM in such a blunt way will stir the population, with good reason.

it already has. There has been appeals and protests but the government does what the governments all over do. Live inside their own "west side OSLO" bubble where everything is perfect, public transport works, DAB+ works, LTE+ works, immigration is a non issue (cuz no immigrants can afford to live there) and all the best hospitals and scools are situated.... aka, the one place in norway where there is no real issues aside from #Firstworldproblems

it already has. There has been appeals and protests but the government does what the governments all over do. Live inside their own "west side OSLO" bubble where everything is perfect, public transport works, DAB+ works, LTE+ works, immigration is a non issue (cuz no immigrants can afford to live there) and all the best hospitals and scools are situated.... aka, the one place in norway where there is no real issues aside from #Firstworldproblems

Good ole nobleman syndrome

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Good ole nobleman syndrome

yup... and people in the media and in politics wonder why Brexit and Trump happened. Could it be because they have no fucking clue how their fellow countrymen feel?

I'm not surprised that this happened considering plenty of countries been pushing for it, as there tons of moneys to be gained from all the licensing scheming. I just always thought it would be Swiss or Brits to jump on this wagon 1st.This is not analog tv where killing was justified to clear the way for LTE, so what they will do with all that free space?

Wont happen! :D (DAB will fail!)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

3 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

Norways policy makers appear to be tech literate hipsters.

- snip-

5 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Norways policy makers appear to be tech literate hipsters.

And the rest of the world just realized that now?! xD

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro