X99 Motherboards for Servers

Hello guys,

I'm going to build a server for my home and I'm looking to use a X99 motherboards, exactly the Asus X99-M WS/SE, the processor that i will use is the Xeon E5-2620v4. I´m going to have any issue between these components?

P.S: The operating system it will have installed will be Ubuntu server. I will execute on it virtualizations, game servers, file servers (Plex, Samba, FTP, ...), web servers, ...

Thanks.

1 minute ago, supersonido said:

Hello guys,

I'm going to build a server for my home and I'm looking to use a X99 motherboards, exactly the Asus X99-M WS/SE, the processor that i will use is the Xeon E5-2620v4. I´m going to have any issue between these components?

P.S: The operating system it will have installed will be Ubuntu server. I will execute on it virtualizations, game servers, file servers (Plex, Samba, FTP, ...), web servers, ...

Thanks.

No problems as far as I can tell. Was gonna say: No ECC, but that board supports ECC DDR4.
Although if you're still gonna buy the board, try looking at server oriented board. There might be a chance you could pick up a similar board for the same price that will take your Xeon, but has either an additional NIC or even a 10Gb Nic on board. Having the extra nic can be usefull if you ever decide to run things like a virtualized router. You could feed it both NIC's (1 WAN & 1 LAN). 10 Gb Nic because of well... SPEEED ( Jeremy Clarkson - Not that long ago)

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

24 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably get a server board for it, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182931

You get remote management, and a builtin gpu, so you don't need to add a gpu.

or stick with  Asus X99-M WS/SE cus it sounds like its spare part and put any non used gpu you have lying around unless u are gonna use a server case.