i5 CPU performance degrading while i5 iGPU working??

D4n

So, since I discovered that a DVI-VGA adapter doesn't work on the GTX 1060 (Nvidia disabled the VGA capability it seems) I plugged in my 2nd screen into the motherboard (using my i5 6600K iGPU), now if I play a video (YouTube/Twitch) on my 2nd screen, my fps drop down terrible in games on my main screen (using HDMI, 1060). I thought Intel is smart and makes the iGPU INDEPENDENT on the cores performances? Why is iGPU dependent on core performance then? wtf Intel?

Erm... I think you are mistaken. From what I know, iGPU does not work at all when you have a dedicated GPU

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

While I cannot state that NVIDIA disabled any sort of analog output on the 1060, they changed the DVI port to be DVI-D instead of DVI-I, which would have the four extra pins on the connector to carry analog signals.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No, it doesn't cripple the cpu cores performance (unless you limit it's max power draw to a very low figure).  

The problem is probaly that you can't use the igpu and the gtx 1060 at once. You're either using your igpu or your 1060 not both. The igpu can't play games.

But those are just theories, that the GTX 1060 sends the video signal back into the motherboard (via PCIe?) and the motherboard outputs it via the mobo DVI (and other video-outputs) output? Can PCIe 3.0 really be used to also send video data back into the mobo?

On 1/7/2017 at 5:02 PM, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Erm... I think you are mistaken. From what I know, iGPU does not work at all when you have a dedicated GPU

Of course it still works. Your motherboard will probably turn it off by default if there is a PCIe graphics card installed, but you can just go turn it back on in the BIOS. I use mine for a old VGA monitor that I'd need an active adapter to use with my GTX 1070. I'm not having performance issues with it like this, though.

HA and exactly THAT is what I don't like about Intel, that my whole CPU seems to slow down once the iGPU is working hard...

3 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

HA and exactly THAT is what I don't like about Intel, that my whole CPU seems to slow down once the iGPU is working hard...

I'd have to do some testing with mine. In my case, this is actually my third monitor, and it's normally just used for my Steam chat windows, or maybe a Chrome window on occasion. I'm sure I've used it for Youtube a few times before during a gaming session and I don't remember any issues, but I'll take a closer look when I get home from work.

This might be a dumb question, but did you install the Intel HD Graphics drivers?

I already did yes. Thx for investigating :)

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Wow thanks! :) Will do eventually, if I get confirmation on my question (if iGPU workload will affect CPU cores).

I run a similar setup, with my primary TV connected to my 960,and another one connected to the motherboard. I can confirm that video signal goes back through PCI-e to the motherboard HDMI port. The IGPU itself does almost nothing unless I decide to use Quicksync. 

However, it may be possible that games may choose to use the iGPU as the primary. A couple games allow you to choose between the two. I believe you can set the DGPU as primary in BIOS to fix this. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…