AMD says that their Ryzen CPU's will last 4 years.

♠FlamieMeister♠

According to AMD's Mark Papermaster at CES 2017, he confirmed that the new Ryzen CPUs will last 4 years before you'll need to upgrade to a newer processor. According to Jim Anderson, the chips will be available from day 1, and they will NOT have another "paper launch." They plan to not have any chances, and want to have an explosive launch.

According to the PC World website,

AMD spent four years developing its Ryzen microprocessor, and that’s the same length of time the company expects it to live on in its ongoing war with Intel in the PC processor space.

Mark Papermaster, AMD’s chief technology officer, confirmed the four-year lifespan in a conversation here at CES 2017 in Las Vegas, though he declined to discuss specifics.

AMD’s Ryzen—the CPU brand which is the public face of its Zen chip architecture—enters at a particularly serendipitous time. Rival Intel just released its mainstream quad-core Kaby Lake microprocessors, and the chips have met with mixed reviews from the tech press. In part, that’s because Intel’s famous “tick-tock” manufacturing model stuttered, resulting in a third 14nm chip, Kaby Lake, instead of the previously expected two. 

AMD, meanwhile, has worked hard developing a fresh approach, aiming and apparently hitting a 40 percent performance improvement target over its previous chip architecture, Excavator.  The combination of a relatively mild Intel launch and a radical new architecture has AMD executives and enthusiasts buzzing about true competition in the PC processor market for the first time in years.

With everything riding on Ryzen’s launch, AMD isn’t taking chances. Jim Anderson, senior vice president and general manager of AMD’s Computing and Graphics business, told PCWorld that Ryzen chips will be available from day one. “We’re not going to do a paper launch,” he said, referring to a “launch” where customers have to wait weeks or months for the products to actually arrive. “We’ve done that before. We’re not going to mess with it.”

My opinion on this is that this could be one of the most anticipated launches of a cpu in Tech history, and definitely the most hyped up launch for 2017. If their claims that the CPU will have a 4 year lifespan, then this could secure AMD a wider audience who want to not spend money every refresh or launch and keep their current one.

Link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3155129/components-processors/amd-says-its-zen-cpu-architecture-is-expected-to-last-four-years.html

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

this has been already posted here

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

So after 4 years there should be some other awesome stuff? Looking at the rate Intel has been going the last 4-ish years that's going to be far from exiting...

I think ryzen will last much longer but oh well :3 I won't complain tho!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

this has been already posted here

Please read the title. I'm confirming that it will last for four years. Not that it's overclockable.

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

1 minute ago, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

Please read the title. I'm confirming that it will last for four years. Not that it's overclockable.

please read the article 

Unbenannt.PNG

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

please read the article 

Unbenannt.PNG

Just saw that. Still, my article focuses on a different thing than his. I just elaborated a bit more on it.

*AMD releases them all, takes market by storm, uses the architecture for four years to grow new chips and ideas.  Expands Zen via Zen+ and their other lines.  Turns out to stagnate like Bulldozer, inb4 cri.*

Or until Intel launches their new architecture. That's something that AMD and everyone who thinks AMD will succeed, haven't thought about.

100% Intel has a hidden architecture that they haven't released, which they will release sometime after Ryzen comes out. One that will crush AMD.

And Ryzen will suddenly be called Fallyn.

Basically what I'm saying is that AMD hasn't thought about the future.

Ryzen will be great. But they don't have anything after it. To fight against Intel.

And that's where the problem arises.

AMD is hoping that they'll make something better 4 years from now. But they won't.

And unfortunately the Intel monopoly will continue. Well at least it won't continue this year, hopefully.

1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

Or until Intel launches their new architecture. That's something that AMD and everyone who thinks AMD will succeed, haven't thought about.

100% Intel has a hidden architecture that they haven't released, which they will release sometime after Ryzen comes out. One that will crush AMD.

Ryzen will be great. But they don't have anything after it. To fight against Intel.

AMD is hoping that they'll make something better 4 years from now. But they won't.

And unfortunately the Intel monopoly will continue. Well at least it won't continue this year, hopefully.

Zen+ maybe??

Not surprised. AMD seems to like to introduce one BIG architecture every four years and in between they release one revision each year (just look at phenom and bulldozer). And they seem to be able to get as much a performance uplift each year as Intel does with a brand new architecture every two years.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

as long as they keep improve on the ryzen architecture and don't halt any new rnd on newer tech i don't care to much since it is already sort true for many higher end intel cpu's if you are a normal consumer, unless  you bought an already low to mid end cpu, but then you can't complain about not having enough power for what you bought imo.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Yeah, this just means that they'll re-iterate on Zen for the next four years at least. Just like Intel does. Zen will be their Core iX-equivalent.

It does not mean that they'll release Zen and that's it for the next four years. Zen+ will launch sometime next year and then another Zen line-up the year after and so on.

Intel has announced that they'll be discontinuing their Core iX architecture in 2019. AMD will apparently discontinue Zen in 2021. This could mean that AMD is in trouble if they have no response to whatever Intel is working on that should be (presumably) significantly different from existing products. At least for the two years that they'll still be on Zen. That's all speculation though.

Most likely,  what he means is that there will be a refresh ( think zen+)  before then,  just like piledriver was to bulldozer,  but they will release a new cpu architecture in 4 years.  Not that they will have the zen SKU launched in 2017 last until 2021 on an old 14nm process. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I get what they're trying to say, so good, I personally don't upgrade a PC before 4y cycle at least. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Daymn the Ryzen CPU might actually be the Q6600 or i7-920 of today.

It's good today, and it's going to stay good 5 years in the future. Maybe even more with the overclocking potential (not sure about the ability).

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I mean, the Core 2 Quad has lasted 10, and some of the Phenom II X4 and X6 CPUs are still formidable to this day, so four years is kind of BS...

I believe it's less about how long you can use it but how long between new cpus. Intel do new ones every year this will mean on amd you don't have to update every year to be on the best.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

that just doesn't make sense imo, they would outcompete themselves then and waste quite a huge investment into the z270 chipset and fuck over a lot of board makers in the process. you can't just surprise release an architecture like that in a reasonable time span. 

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I mean, the Core 2 Quad has lasted 10, and some of the Phenom II X4 and X6 CPUs are still formidable to this day, so four years is kind of BS...

they will be referring to the architecture design. They will not make major changes for example we have had FX since 2011 so it has lasted 6 years

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

This is such a stupid comment. You really think AMD hasn't thought about the future? You're delusional. 

100% Intel has a hidden architecture that they haven't released, which they will release sometime after Ryzen comes out.

Here, you'll need this

*hands tinfoil hat*

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Reminds me when I made a troll post exposing linus for being nvidia bias and even got Slick to comment on it.

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I believe it's less about how long you can use it but how long between new cpus. Intel do new ones every year this will mean on amd you don't have to update every year to be on the best.

If we don't count Broadwell, which was a lost generation for desktop CPUs, and Kaby Lake, which is an insult to our intelligence, RyZen will be one generation behind the 8-ball in terms of IPC when it debuts. That's actually not bad. What would be bad is AMD banking on architecture that's one generation behind today holding up for four years without becoming another FX-style joke.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I mean, Intel has a lot of CPU that are up-to-date and are 4 or more years old, and a CPU should be fully functional if well cared for 20 or more years, I honestly feel AMD is going a bit too far on their marketing trying to squeezing every little thing into their hype, the more they try to make this a huge deal while it isn't the more disappointment consumers are likely to have by the time this hits the shelves

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)