External amp for PS4 (DT990)

nicobombai
Go to solution Solved by nicobombai,

@SSL @Dackzy

Update: He got the Fiio E10K and its working perfectly fine with the plug and play method for his PS4. Thanks guys :D

Quick question, my friend just got a DT990 250 ohms recently, the pc provides plenty of power to the headphones. However, he just got a ps4 and is wondering what amp to use with it, cos its not sounding loud enough.

I have less knowledge with amplifiers for console use, that's why i came here.

Any feedback from you guys would be awesome. Thanks in advance :)

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

@Dackzy @SSL

Sorry to mention you guys like this, but i would like some feedback if possible.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

What I recommend is just to go in and tune it to see which one good but i don't think a ps4 has a amplifier.

3 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

What I recommend is just to go in and tune it to see which one good but i don't think a ps4 has a amplifier.

He used the headphone already, the problem is, they dont sound as loud as the pc, as the pc have a good mobo aaaaand the controller cannot power up the headphone i guess :P

Thats why im asking what amp would be nice and easy to setup for him, since i have little knowledge about amping on consoles....

17 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

It due to hardware. But then just get your friend and you to tune it where it is just right

ya, but he's actually looking for recommendations of amplifiers to use with the PS4.

34 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Quick question, my friend just got a DT990 250 ohms recently, the pc provides plenty of power to the headphones. However, he just got a ps4 and is wondering what amp to use with it, cos its not sounding loud enough.

I have less knowledge with amplifiers for console use, that's why i came here.

Something like the Fiio K5 DAC/AMP (outputting ~150mW @300Ohm) should work when connected over USB, as there are reports of USB dacs working here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69310423 . Goes for US$110 or £95, other regions are permitted to exist...

From Schiit the Fulla2 DAC/AMP outputs ~40mW@300Ohm, is $99, will be quieter at full power, but gives handy volume control.

The Schiit Magni 2 is just an amp, so connection via 3.5mm to phono, but is more powerfull at 260mW@300Ohm.

Might be worth trying to test one to see how powerful an amp you need/want.

1 minute ago, anothertom said:

ya, but he's actually looking for recommendations of amplifiers to use with the PS4.

Something like the Fiio K5 DAC/AMP (outputting ~150mW @300Ohm) should work when connected over USB, as there are reports of USB dacs working here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69310423 . Goes for US$110 or £95, other regions are permitted to exist...

From Schiit the Fulla2 DAC/AMP outputs ~40mW@300Ohm, is $99, will be quieter at full power, but gives handy volume control.

The Schiit Magni 2 is just an amp, so connection via 3.5mm to phono, but is more powerfull at 260mW@300Ohm.

Might be worth trying to test one to see how powerful an amp you need/want.

Schiit is not available here, which sucks.

But fiio is largely available here, SMSL is there and some other brands.

Fiio E10K is around $80 here, would this be ok?

Or just give him Fiio K1 for $35?

9 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Schiit is not available here, which sucks.

But fiio is largely available here, SMSL is there and some other brands.

just give the pinned post a look, also no don't get a k1, it is very weak and only recommended for people who have little to no money and have broken onboard.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

The K1 will likely be just as underpowered as the PS4 at such a high impedance. The E10K would be better but is probably only around 25mW@300Ohm.

Looking at smsl, the sAp-8 look like a good solution. It's only an amp so connection via 3.5mm to Phono, but has a strong output at 160mW@300Ohm, which is probably a good range to be in, not so powerful that it has to be run at 5% volume but not needing to be run at 95%.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

just give the pinned post a look, also no don't get a k1, it is very weak and only recommended for people who have little to no money and have broken onboard.

I read the post several times, my question is, whether those amps can work on ps4, since i have less knowledge on amping to ps4 lol

1 minute ago, anothertom said:

The K1 will likely be just as underpowered as the PS4 at such a high impedance. The E10K would be better but is probably only around 25mW@300Ohm.

Looking at smsl, the sAp-8 look like a good solution. It's only an amp so connection via 3.5mm to Phono, but has a strong output at 160mW@300Ohm, which is probably a good range to be in, not so powerful that it has to be run at 5% volume but not needing to be run at 95%.

Ah ic, will have a look into it and let me know about the suggestion :D

I read the post several times, my question is, whether those amps can work on ps4, since i have less knowledge on amping to ps4 lol

what the actual fuck, I thought the PS4 had a TRS port or something like that, but it doesn't. Okay what your friend needs is a DAC and amp combo with optical in. Like

SMSL SD793-II or micca origen+

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

what the actual fuck, I thought the PS4 had a TRS port or something like that, but it doesn't. Okay what your friend needs is a DAC and amp combo with optical in. Like

Sooooo optical to optical, from SMSL SD793-II to ps4 right?

Micca is not available here.. Le Deep Sigh....

1 minute ago, nicobombai said:

Sooooo optical to optical, from SMSL SD793-II to ps4 right?

Micca is not available here.. Le Deep Sigh....

yep

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well couldn't you just get an amplifier that has 3.5mm/6.3mm input and just run it off the PS4 controller's 3.5mm output? 

The only problem I see with this a mile of cabling and a box hanging off the controller...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well couldn't you just get an amplifier that has 3.5mm/6.3mm input and just run it off the PS4 controller's 3.5mm output? 

The only problem I see with this a mile of cabling and a box hanging off the controller...

yes, but that would remove the wireless part of the controller...

yep

Rogerino

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well he is playing the ps4 with a small monitor like how we play the pc, sooo the cable shouldn't be a concern for him :D

2 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Rogerino

Well he is playing the ps4 with a small monitor like how we play the pc, sooo the cable shouldn't be a concern for him :D

well he could go with a SMSL sApII then.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

well he could go with a SMSL sApII then.

I told him about it, the shipment is around 1 month is for SMSL LOL

Anything from fiio will get the job done? K5 is kinda out of the budget tho for him.. Damn, he is soo picky :|

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yes, but that would remove the wireless part of the controller...

But I'm pretty sure a DAC+amp wouldn't help either as that would just remove the wireless part of the controller as well :P (due to how you'd need to run at least one cable from the PS4...)

But what do I know about audio using a cheapo LP-A6 for me (free) speakers and a SB omni...(hey, don't blame meh, the onboard sound died on my old laptop and they were on a 75% off discount...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But I'm pretty sure a DAC+amp wouldn't help either as that would just remove the wireless part of the controller as well :P (due to how you'd need to run at least one cable from the PS4...)

But what do I know about audio using a cheapo LP-A6 for me (free) speakers and a SB omni...(hey, don't blame meh, the onboard sound died on my old laptop and they were on a 75% off discount...)

if he got the combo then he could still throw the controller, when some 12 year old kills him in a game xD 

Anything from fiio will get the job done? K5 is kinda out of the budget tho for him.. Damn, he is soo picky :|

umm gimme a couple of minutes 

6 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

okay fiio has the A3, not the most powerful thing ever. Not even sure that I would recommend it. That is really the only one they have right now.

You may or may not be able to find a Fiio E11, since it is old, but it would be better than the A3

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

okay fiio has the A3, not the most powerful thing ever. Not even sure that I would recommend it. That is really the only one they have right now.

You may or may not be able to find a Fiio E11, since it is old, but it would be better than the A3

Last question, Q1 / E10K / A3 ? Been reading on the web, USB amp/dacs should be detected by ps4, so technically its usable?

20 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Last question, Q1 / E10K / A3 ? Been reading on the web, USB amp/dacs should be detected by ps4, so technically its usable?

huh I did not know that the PS4 could detect USB, I am not a huge fan of Fiio, since I don't think they offer a good value on most of their things, but the Q1 would also work with his phone if he wanted to, but I have heard better things about the E10k

huh did not know that the PS4 could detected by the PS4, I am not a huge fan of Fiio, since I don't think they offer a good value on most of their things, but the Q1 would also work with his phone if he wanted to, but I have heard better things about the E10k

USB* :P

Hmmm, i'm reading that you can plug in a usb soundcard/headset and get sound from it, buuuuut.. Can't use the controls on it, let say for example: Hyperx cloud 2.

10 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

USB* :P

Hmmm, i'm reading that you can plug in a usb soundcard/headset and get sound from it, buuuuut.. Can't use the controls on it, let say for example: Hyperx cloud 2.

If he can wait then wait and get a SMSL. I dunno man, the PS4 is like a grey area for me. If he gets a A3, then he cannot connect a mic to the controller, so E10k it is?