good news everyone, looks like MS is finally considering toggling (disabling) driver updates from Windows 10 updates

source: https://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-build-15002-leaks-online-heres-whats-new/

some info of new W10 build, 15002, leaked on-line and one of the most notable changes to how Windows Update works is that it appears MS will give us a toggle switch for driver updates:

Build 15002 includes a couple of new features, but they aren’t anything major as I noted earlier. Firstly, this build has a new toggle in Windows Update which lets users exclude driver updates from Windows Update, allowing you to prevent Windows Update from automatically installing updates for drivers.

image_2017-01-07_11-05-07.png

this is very good news, now only a matter of time for this implementation to go live - this is a major pain in the arse for me; on my laptop, if I update the Intel iGPU drivers the Windows Update will revert back to an earlier version

---

update January 10th: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15002-pc/#do166xwo3r0cGDD7.97

MicroSoft had to fuck it up, the toggle will not be available on W10 Home:

We’ve added an option that will now allow you to decide whether or not to include driver updates when you update Windows. This capability will be available on Professional, Education, and Enterprise editions of Windows.

Edited by zMeul

I got interested when I saw you can pause updates until 2nd October 2017, but then I remembered the Americans write their dates wrong and it only means 10th February :/

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Iirc I read a week ago that fast ring is getting an update for picking updates that you want, which is even better news. So a month or two away for everyone else.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

great, i guess this means i can finally remove the AMD gaming evolved app from my mom's netbook without it infinitely returning and making stuff lag to shreds.

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this is very good news, now only a matter of time for this implementation to go live - this is a major pain in the arse for me; on my laptop, if I update the Intel iGPU drivers the Windows Update will revert back to an earlier version

This! And it is not just older, but much older.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

"you can temporarily pause updates from being installed for up to 35 days"

i.e.: still trash. as useless as the privacy toggles.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

You can do that already by simply using your router and blocking all of the IP addresses used by their update servers.

Admittedly, you shouldn't have to do this.

Weird side note: I recently re-installed my copy of Windows 7 (it was time for a clean slate. System was a bit bloated) and I cannot get Windows Update to work at all. It's been "checking for updates" for over a week now, still nothing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

"you can temporarily pause updates from being installed for up to 35 days"

i.e.: still trash. as useless as the privacy toggles.

I was so excited about the driver bit I missed this. This appears to be separate from the driver toggle, and I think finally makes Win10 Updates usable to me without my blocking of it. Basically I can't have my PC rebooting unless I explicitly tell it to, so I can't let the current WU system run. If this 35 day block means it wont reboot for 35 days, that is acceptable. I usually do a manual update after patch Tuesday so 35 days could be minimally acceptable depending on how exactly it works.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Weird side note: I recently re-installed my copy of Windows 7 (it was time for a clean slate. System was a bit bloated) and I cannot get Windows Update to work at all. It's been "checking for updates" for over a week now, still nothing.

Best belongs in another thread, but it is a common problem which seems to go away if you can get the updates current enough. Manually download and install SP1 if needed and the convenience update to get most of the way there. Then you may need to get a bit tricky. As workaround I've taken to using wsusoffline which downloads a local copy of updates, then you can use that to update the system. Run repeatedly until it says no more available and then hopefully the built in one will work in a sane amount of time again. The downloaded updates, if stored on a flash stick or networked location, can be used on multiple PCs.

18 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

You can find a solution in this post:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Driver updates from windows update is extremely useful. Can't understand why some don't like it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Neat addition to update settings. Though never had problem with it as far as GPU drivers. I have latest installed and Windows updated doesn't show anything. As should be.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is great. Had a laptop. Still great, only thing about it is that the GPU is already half dead. If the driver is installed it'll crash. And you have to boot into safe mode. 

But every fuckin time I uninstall the driver. Shit ass win 10 installs it again. Obviously I fixed this by doing all scumy shit. But it'll be real nice if win 10 would stop doing that. 

Again, laptop works great. No problems(problems only came from microshit) developing for the Rpi with that. And don't come screaming at me telling me I should've tossed my laptop away. Only thing that doesn't work 100% is the GPU. It still runs fine on the basic driver. 

Fault doesn't lie with Win 10 automatically updating my driver. Fault lies with win 10 not having an option to disable it. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

32 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Driver updates from windows update is extremely useful. Can't understand why some don't like it.

I think you missed /s there. Can't agree more, what a nice feature, if you have some older hw that is not in ms repository or drivers for it haven't been updated in quite some, it will just decide to delete drivers for it all together every update, updates feel more exciting with it

1 minute ago, ShiftyFella said:

I think you missed /s there. Can't agree more, what a nice feature, if you have some older hw that is not in ms repository or drivers for it haven't been update in quite some, it will just decide to delete drivers for it all together every update, updates feel more exciting with it

This part makes no sense.

When a driver is already in ms repository it will always be in that repository. It does not get removed.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Fetzie said:

I got interested when I saw you can pause updates until 2nd October 2017, but then I remembered the Americans write their dates wrong and it only means 10th February :/

Wait what? I thought dates were the same across the world but just written in a different order. Like today is 1/7/17 for me, but for you it is written as 7/1/17 (not including time zone difference, just example)  Nevermind.. I got what you meant. The order made the month look different

56 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You can find a solution in this post:

Awesome. Thank you.

I find myself wondering if this issue is related in any way to Windows 10. If I had to guess I'd say all their update servers are busy handling Windows 10, so Windows 7 just gets left in the dust.

It would make sense, considering all the stuff M$ has been doing since Windows 10 came out, to force people off of Windows 7 and onto the newer OS.

43 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

If you have no driver, or an out of date one, an update can be a good thing. The problem is when Windows thinks it knows better, and it sounds like myself and zMeul have encountered cases where if you install the latest Intel GPU driver, Windows Update thinks its older one is better and downgrades it for you. Also I have seen cases in the past (pre-Win10) where it can get confused and actually try to install the wrong driver.

While fire-and-forget is fine most of the time, for more critical things like this I would at least like the option of user intervention to choose if a driver should be updated.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Awesome. Thank you.

I find myself wondering if this issue is related in any way to Windows 10. If I had to guess I'd say all their update servers are busy handling Windows 10, so Windows 7 just gets left in the dust.

As in, another artificial and hostile Microsoft tactic to try to get people to move to Windows 10? Yep, it's that.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

As in, another artificial and hostile Microsoft tactic to try to get people to move to Windows 10? Yep, it's that.

I didn't want to flat out accuse them of that. At least not over this.

I mean, even I can't really be that angry about it. Their new product is being adopted, and it makes sense logistically that most of their servers would be re-tasked to service that product rather than the old product. Aggravating as hell, but not really that evil. It wouldn't make sense for them to spend the money to roll out new servers to service the new product and keep so many other servers running for the old product. It's not entirely unreasonable, I would be angrier if they did it to businesses, but as a general consumer I expect the short end of the stick (we don't spend enough money to be "important")

I'm just waiting for them to get their heads out of their asses, and allow us to toggle updates, turn off the telemetry, and not have cumulative updates. Once those three things happen, and I don't have to finagle the damned thing to be secure, I will adopt Windows 10.

11 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Awesome. Thank you.

It would make sense, considering all the stuff M$ has been doing since Windows 10 came out, to force people off of Windows 7 and onto the newer OS.

I had read the reason Windows 7 updates are so slow now is because when a new version of Windows comes out the older versions get updates from servers with older hardware and a much smaller server farm (i.e. less bandwidth/connectivity). Since Windows 7 is basically ancient at this point in internet years it's probably hosted on a fraction of the servers of Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

-KuJoe

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

This part makes no sense.

When a driver is already in ms repository it will always be in that repository. It does not get removed.

I'm not talking about MS repository servers. I'm talking what MS update system decided to do to your system, when there is no drivers for an older device in its repository or its policy when drivers in that repository hasn't been updated in some time.  Every update it always deletes drivers for my Skystar dvb s2 pcie tuner, with alert in action centre saying MS update system removed older drivers, as they haven't been updated in over 6month. Last drivers released for it were for win7 but they work perfectly on win10 without any issues but MS policy is annoying. Anniversary update flat out deleted half of my programs, even updated ccleaner got nuked saying it got rid of old and incompatible software, after that update win10 now refuses to work with my old pci AverMedia analog tv tunner, despite it working perfectly before using xp drivers for it, same thing happened to my HP All in one but I got it fixed by using windows generic drivers not the one that HP supplies. Resetting file type\program preferences occasionally cause it thinks it detected some bogus issue is annoying too, this is extra comical when it resets its own Office 2013 to store version of Office365 that I don't have installed and it always takes you to MS Store page Get Office, if you forgot to change things back when you open excel or word document

7 minutes ago, ShiftyFella said:

I'm not talking about MS repository servers. I'm talking what MS update system decided to do to your system, when there is no drivers for an older device in its repository or its policy when drivers in that repository hasn't been updated in some time.  Every update it always deletes drivers for my Skystar dvb s2 pcie tuner, with alert in action centre saying MS update system removed older drivers, as they haven't been updated in over 6month. Last drivers released for it were for win7 but they work perfectly on win10 without any issues but MS policy is annoying. Anniversary update flat out deleted half of my programs, even updated ccleaner got nuked saying it got rid of old and incompatible software, after that update win10 now refuses to work with my old pci AverMedia analog tv tunner, despite it working perfectly before using xp drivers for it, same thing happened to my HP All in one but I got it fixed by using windows generic drivers not the one that HP supplies. Resetting file type\program preferences occasionally cause it thinks it detected some bogus issue is annoying too, this is extra comical when it resets its own Office 2013 to store version of Office365 that I don't have installed and it always takes you to MS Store page Get Office, if you forgot to change things back when you open excel or word document

M$ seems to be trying to be Apple.

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

because if I install a newer driver that MS has, Windows Updates will force install the older driver instead

why is it so hard to understand

the same goes the other way around: if you have a older driver, because new ones give you shit, MS will force the driver it has in Windows Updates