Super slow usb 3 transfer speeds

Go to solution Solved by Thx And Bye,

Well if the drives perform similar on different devices, I don't see a problem with your system.
I'd say that either your one harddrive is slowly dieing or just can't keep up with the speed of your other drive.
You could check the S.M.A.R.T values of your drives with CrystalDiskInfo. Also you could try to connect the slow drive via sata (take it out of the case) and see if it gets higher transfer rates. (that would make the one USB 3.0 case the culprit)

So I was putting some movies ( most are mp4 and about 1GB to 2GB in size) on a usb 3 ssd ( PNY 64GB, FAT32) for a friend of mine. I noticed that the transfer speed maxed out at only 33MB/s. I know that I have done file transfers before and have hit 100MB/s. To my knowledge I have not made any changes to my computer that would effect transfer speeds. 

Pc parts list  https://pcpartpicker.com/user/priceytomato/saved/W3j7YJ

Running Windows 8.1 Pro

I tried the usb 3 port on my case, monitor and finally a usb on the back of the motherboard and their was no change in transfer speed. I also tried some usb 2 thumb drive on plugged into usb 3 ports and usb 2 ports with speeds maxing out at 10 MB/s. 

And for the sake of science I hooked up a usb 3 WD My Passport Hdd ( NTFS format) and was hitting 100MB/s speed no problem. Am I just missing something here? The usb 2 drives are older but both of the PNY and the WD are less than 2 years old with very very minimal use. All transfers where done from my 2 TB HDD with nothing running else running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also please forgive any tech forum fopa I am kind of new to this. 

Does the affected drive hit higher transfer speeds on other computers or is this only affecting your setup?

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

12 hours ago, Thx And Bye said:

Does the affected drive hit higher transfer speeds on other computers or is this only affecting your setup?

So I took the usb 2, usb 3 and the usb 3 hdd and did some transfers on my friends laptop. The usb 2 and 3 did the exact same and the usb 3 hdd dropped about 4 or 5 MB/s. So is the usb 2 just older and getting worse, the usb 3 is just not that great and the usb 3 hdd is the best usb 3 device I got. Does that sound about right?

Well if the drives perform similar on different devices, I don't see a problem with your system.
I'd say that either your one harddrive is slowly dieing or just can't keep up with the speed of your other drive.
You could check the S.M.A.R.T values of your drives with CrystalDiskInfo. Also you could try to connect the slow drive via sata (take it out of the case) and see if it gets higher transfer rates. (that would make the one USB 3.0 case the culprit)

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-