Registering Hardware?

I had a friend tell me that i need to register all my hardware to ensure warranties and such. I went to my motherboard manufacturers website and registered it. But like... did it even do anything.

It was kinda a long and annoying process punching in all the serial numbers and information about when and where you bought it. I built my computer about 6 months ago so I can barley remember what i bought where and when.  

Is registering your hardware worth it in any way and should I go through the hassle of finding authentic information or should i just say fuck it? 

Some manufacturers require you register within a certain amount of time for them to honor the warranty. Some don't require you to register at all.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Some manufacturers require you register within a certain amount of time for them to honor the warranty. Some don't require you to register at all.

is it the company that do or do not require it or can it be fluid between products of the same manufacture? 

6 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Like can i google if MSI requires registration then i know all MSI products rather do or dont?

4 minutes ago, Romeo Bodmon said:

Like can i google if MSI requires registration then i know all MSI products rather do or dont?

They should have their warranty policies on their websites.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

It varies on the products and the manufacturer.   You'd have to check out the Manufacturer information and product information.  Some products may be warrantied for limited amounts of time.  Others may be warrantied only if you subscribe to a warranty service.  Some companies only warranty from manufacture defects.  It can vary greatly.  Highly recommended to fill out warranty information.  Odds are for every 10 items you register a warranty with, only 1 will require service.  If it is available, then you want to be able to use it when you need to, and it can save great amounts of money, overall.  if you don't, the only thing lost is a few minutes of time.  

I don't think I've ever.  Only RMA's I've had to do were of HDDs and LCDs over the years.  Doesn't hurt to do it if such is offered, but in reality, it mostly just puts you on a email list to get spammed informed of new product offerings.