AMD Confirms All Ryzen CPUs are Overclockable + Not Just Octacore Available at Launch

HKZeroFive
7 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

noice, i got a 270.. looking for a second one, but 270's are rare, specially when im trying to find another sapphire.

i would recommend upgrading to something like a 290 ,

those go cheap now and are buff as hell (on par and better as a 970, depending on the game) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

i would recommend upgrading to something like a 290 ,

those go cheap now and are buff as hell (on par and better as a 970, depending on the game) 

not sure its gonna be worth it atm, i mean zen is coming out, i was thinking of moving to Rx series.... crossfired :|

Just now, ArcThanatos said:

not sure its gonna be worth it atm, i mean zen is coming out, i was thinking of moving to Rx series.... crossfired :|

well yea , if you get a good deal on 480´s go for it  

but llike a 290 for 100 bucks is amazing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

8 hours ago, RGProductions said:

Yay for overclocking on the cheap, at this rate that AMD is chugging along at we won't need Nvidia or intel soon! (/s BTW, we need competition)

This was never any different with AMD. The problem with overclocking on the AMD platform was the required knowledge when selecting a platform and no QC.

You can't just grab some grab a random 970/870 board and expect overclocking. Eventhough you're allowed to raise the multiplier, your VRM's say no.

Quality control in this scenario inevitably leads to accusations of 'limiting' or 'sectioning' the market for greedy purposes. Nvidia and Intel both do this.

But that means no people crying wolf why their SLI isn't doing well at 16x4x, or people having unstable systems because their 4+1 phase design is choking under the 8core processors.

The Z170 boards generally are able to provide enough power to warrent overclocking. H110 or B150 boards generally don't. It also means that you can have cheaper baseline products because the manufacturers don't have to anticipate some person trying to overclock on 3+1 with no VRM cooling. Eventhough there are people that can distinguish this for themselves, you have to base it on the lowest common denominator. I don't have that many issues with what Intel is doing with the platforms tbh.

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

well yea , if you get a good deal on 480´s go for it  

but llike a 290 for 100 bucks is amazing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

bit more then 100 in aus haha.

but yeah i was thinking 480's would be the go, in Xfire they are on the heels of a 1080 apparently... and just a bit cheaper.

1 minute ago, ArcThanatos said:

in Xfire they are on the heels of a 1080 apparently

that depends ALOT on the game , stuff like doom? yea , ashes? yea , assasins creed? hell nah 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

that depends ALOT on the game , stuff like doom? yea , ashes? yea , assasins creed? hell nah 

... Mass Effect .. like all of them lol (MEA as well)
ARK..... thats pretty much it atm, its not for performance as such, its more a i just want to an cos i can thing, just to do random benchmarks and over clocks and have fun like that,

1 minute ago, ArcThanatos said:

... Mass Effect .. like all of them lol (MEA as well)
ARK..... thats pretty much it atm, its not for performance as such, its more a i just want to an cos i can thing, just to do random benchmarks and over clocks and have fun like that,

you might wanna shoot for a vega card , in those games 2 cards wont benefit you much 

PSU Tier list

haha im not fussed, i just want a full red build and i want a Sith theme style this time.

and later on ill fix up my AM3 and finish it off my Purple n black build

@ArcThanatos @Space Reptile

The RX480 and the R9 290X from a performance perspective are essentially the same so with that in mind both are a great pick. However if someone was looking at getting a R9 290X get one that has 8GB VRAM, I run dual R9 290X's reference design water cooled on a monitor res of 2560x1600 and with the games coming out in the last 6 months I have started hitting that 4GB limit.

I would wait until after Vega release though as there is likely going to be a flood of R9 290X/390X cards hitting the used market, this is the time to do the price comparison to the RX480 rather than now.

On the topic of wanting to run crossfire I would say don't, it doesn't make sense in the middle performance tier. Spending the same amount of money on a single faster GPU will give better results all round in every use case. Crossfire and SLI only start to make a bit of sense when your at the top of the market, like when I got my R9 290X's, or when buying used equipment and can get them super cheap.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@ArcThanatos @Space Reptile

The RX480 and the R9 290X from a performance perspective are essentially the same so with that in mind both are a great pick. However if someone was looking at getting a R9 290X get one that has 8GB VRAM, I run dual R9 290X's reference design water cooled on a monitor res of 2560x1600p and with the games coming out in the last 6 months I have started hitting that 4GB limit.

I would wait until after Vega release though as there is likely going to be a flood of R9 290X/390X cards hitting the used market, this is the time to do the price comparison to the RX480 rather than now.

On the topic of wanting to run crossfire I would say don't, it doesn't make sense in the middle performance tier. Spending the same amount of money on a single faster GPU will give better results all round in every use case. Crossfire and SLI only start to make a bit of sense when your at the top of the market, like when I got my R9 290X's, or when buying used equipment and can get them super cheap.

yeah i know. i might just crossfire the AM3 rig and just go more sensible with the ZEN, its not for gain, its for knowledge and experience sake i want to Xfire. other thing is i could always get some older cars and drop them in the AM3 and continue to fart ass about with it and learn more on it. it is goign to be a waiting game. 

as long as i can play Mass Effect Andromeda im not fussed, thats all i need, its the only game i really care about. Mass effect is basically all i want to play lol. i want a mid to high pc, but its more for fun an cos i can on that front, but end of day, it has to at least play ME:A

ty for the info on the gpus thou i will have a poke about an look at it more see whats goign for what

(some people in Aus are trying to sell some R9 270x's for like $400 +... i brought mine brand new for $169 thru PCCASEGEAR... this is the problem with buying 2nd hand in aus, some assholes think they can ramp up the price after things arent sold anymore and the items more used then the local hooker)

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

Just get a noctua NH D15S I stead of anything of the listed AIOs. Cheaper quieter and stellar performance. 

I replaced my h110i GT with it, got lower temps and is significantly quieter. 

Now I only have 5820k at 4ghz, but after hours in AIDA64 it never once went over 59 degrees Celsius. On average under Adobe Premiere Pro after a few hours it hits the low 50s as well. 

Fantastic cooler, and unlike my old aio cannot have its pump die. Never mind all the other points of failure. 

I had also considered something like that, or a Cryorig R1, be quiet dark rock pro 3, etc.  But, I kind-of don't want a big heatsink hanging off my CPU when I move the computer around - I'd rather have the heatsink somewhere else if possible.  Also I'd prefer to install something that doesn't require a backplate, or so many steps to install that my 212 Evo required.  (Also being easier to remove it to reapply thermal paste than my current HSF would be good - I haven't repasted since I installed it 2 years ago.)

Just did a quick Aida64 test at stock (CPU+FPU+Cache+RAM), and CPU temps are in the 60s C, some cores being as low as 58, some as high as 72, but fluctuating in that range, mostly toward the upper end.  CPU speed is 4199 MHz, voltage is 1.186V.

Setting it to FPU-only stress test, temps immediately jump to the high 80s, flirting with 90°C, at 4.2 GHz, 1.186V.

The extra points of failure is a legitimate concern for an AIO, too. :/

Yeah expected for overclockability across the CPU board. But great for so called full SKUs release on launch which people questioned.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Here's to hoping their lowest Ryzen part is actually a 4C/8T part so Intel would git gud and get rid of the dual cores, and just make the quad cores their lowest part. I don't believe this would increase the price, as they already have already cashed in on their current schemes. It's time for an advancement. Just like when they phased out (sort of) the single cores :P

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

5 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Here's to hoping their lowest Ryzen part is actually a 4C/8T part so Intel would git gud and get rid of the dual cores, and just make the quad cores their lowest part. I don't believe this would increase the price, as they already have already cashed in on their current schemes. It's time for an advancement. Just like when they phased out (sort of) the single cores :P

It is. They have 4c/8t, 6c/12t and 8c/16t CPUs. No dual-cores exist for Ryzen. Only the APUs for AM4 are 2c/2t and 4c/4t APUs.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

It is. They have 4c/8t, 6c/12t and 8c/16t CPUs. No dual-cores exist for Ryzen. Only the APUs for AM4 are 2c/2t and 4c/4t APUs.

I heard the new APUs are sad :( They could've used something like the Project Scorpio tech for the master race at least!

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

ermmm...8x/8x on the highest end chipset? o_O

If this was to compete against intel's enthusiast CPUs then...where are the 16x/16x/8x (or 16x/8x/8x but you get the idea of 40 total CPU/equivalent PCIe lanes) configs? Or even 8x/8x/8x...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If this was to compete against intel's enthusiast CPUs then...where are the 16x/16x/8x (or 16x/8x/8x but you get the idea of 40 total CPU/equivalent PCIe lanes) configs? Or even 8x/8x/8x...

i suspect that is just the PCIe lanes from the board alone 

PSU Tier list

8 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

I heard the new APUs are sad :( They could've used something like the Project Scorpio tech for the master race at least!

The current APUs aren't based on Zen. They're coming later, presumably with a Vega GPU on board and HBM. Yeah. Zen APU with a Vega GPU. Let that sink in for a moment.

Ye ole' train

6 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The current APUs aren't based on Zen. They're coming later, presumably with a Vega GPU on board and HBM. Yeah. Zen APU with a Vega GPU. Let that sink in for a moment.

I believe this is the reason there was a rumour that intel "wants" AMD iGPUs on their CPUs. If Project Scorpio really is just a Ryzen-based APU with Vega tech then this would bring a major advancement in technology. Imagine it, Project Scorpio running games at 4K, even if it was cinematic that would be a milestone for APUs.

Also, to correct/clarify my previous reply, I thought upcoming APUs are still based on Bristol Ridge. These were actually the current ones (A12-XXXX).

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

The thing is, while the core count, clocks, and demos so far are comparing against Intel HEDT CPUs, it seems the Ryzen platform (at least initially) is only targeting mainstream.

Check out the slides at http://hothardware.com/news/amd-announces-x300-and-x370-am4-motherboards-for-ryzen - note I haven't been able to verify them even by finding them at other sites. Still, it indicates the CPU itself provides 2x8 PCIe 3 for SLI/crossfire use, pretty much the same as Intel mainstream. The top chipset only provides 8 lanes of PCIe 2? I would assume that other bandwidth hogging features are baked in so don't detract from the available lane count. 

Combined with that they appear to only have dual channel ram, places Ryzen very much in mainstream platform not HEDT.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Combined with that they appear to only have dual channel ram, places Ryzen very much in mainstream platform not HEDT.

To be fair, if the CPU performance is up there then I doubt people would even care about the 16X PCIe lanes or only having dual channel RAM assuming it's cheaper than HEDT chips :P (not like 16X of PCIe lanes isn't enough or quad channel actually makes CPUs run any faster)

34 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

To be fair, if the CPU performance is up there then I doubt people would even care about the 16X PCIe lanes or only having dual channel RAM assuming it's cheaper than HEDT chips :P (not like 16X of PCIe lanes isn't enough or quad channel actually makes CPUs run any faster)

Until I learn of a situation where dual channel isn't fast enough for me, I'm fine with it.

I just want to be able to install more than 4 sticks of RAM, without having to spend like $200-300+ for the equivalent of an LGA2011 enthusiast/server board.

At minimum, I'd like to be able to have 8, preferably 12 or 16, sticks of RAM, at least 32 or 64GB each.  (I was looking on Wikipedia, and apparently the DDR4 standard supports 512GB DIMMs.  Would it ever be possible, at least before DDR5 comes out, to see those in non-ECC, non-registered DIMMs?)

34 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Depends on your uses. A stock 6700k already can be limited even by OC dual channel ram. If Ryzen 8C is even half as good as they say it is, I think people will start noticing ram impact more often.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Until I learn of a situation where dual channel isn't fast enough for me, I'm fine with it.

I just want to be able to install more than 4 sticks of RAM, without having to spend like $200-300+ for the equivalent of an LGA2011 enthusiast/server board.

At minimum, I'd like to be able to have 8, preferably 12 or 16, sticks of RAM, at least 32 or 64GB each.  (I was looking on Wikipedia, and apparently the DDR4 standard supports 512GB DIMMs.  Would it ever be possible, at least before DDR5 comes out, to see those in non-ECC, non-registered DIMMs?)

Why would you need so much RAM tho? I know 1 million pages of pornhub on google chrome would eat RAM like no tomorrow but the point still remains :P