Should I leave ECO mode "ON" or "OFF"

Go to solution Solved by Techicolors,

looking at your system in your signature you're nowhere near reaching the limits of your PSU. ECO Mode will just turn off the fans, acting like a silent mode. the fans will turn on when there's enough load, and overclocking your 4690K isn't going to significantly increase power draw.

Greetings,

I have recently purchased an EVGA 850G2 PSU for my system.  It has a switch on the back that says "ECO" on it that supposedly is suppose to keep the fan off until the PSU gets to a certain temperature (tbh idk exactly how it works, I hope you guys can educate me on that as well).  I plan on overclocking my i5 4690k so...  should I keep ECO "on" or "off"?

I am sorry I am so new to this, I just want to be safe with my system.

Thanks,

Joe DiCristo

2 minutes ago, amazinjoe555 said:

Greetings,

I have recently purchased an EVGA 850G2 PSU for my system.  It has a switch on the back that says "ECO" on it that supposedly is suppose to keep the fan off until the PSU gets to a certain temperature (tbh idk exactly how it works, I hope you guys can educate me on that as well).  I plan on overclocking my i5 4690k so...  should I keep ECO "on" or "off"?

I am sorry I am so new to this, I just want to be safe with my system.

Thanks,

Joe DiCristo

I am pretty sure the ECO mode will be fine. I would personally leave it on ECO mode all the time just because it would be quieter.

Main Rig: Ryzen 5 5600X with ID Cooling SE-234 || Gigabyte Aorus B550I Pro AX || Asus Dual OC 3060Ti || 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz || 500GB Samsung Evo Plus || 500GB Kingston A400 || 1TB WD HDD || Cooler Master SFX V750 || Cooler Master NR200P

Secondary Rig: i7-7700K with Corsair H115i || MSI Z270 Pro Carbon AC || MSI Gaming X 1060 6GB || 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz || 500GB Adata SX8200 || 2x 1TB WD Blue || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Laptop: Macbook Pro 16" || i9-9880HK || Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB ||32GB RAM || 1TB SSD

Just now, spacemen13579 said:

I am pretty sure the ECO mode will be fine. I would personally leave it on ECO mode all the time just because it would be quieter.

Ok, I heard online that it also limits the amount of voltage/power.  Is this true?

looking at your system in your signature you're nowhere near reaching the limits of your PSU. ECO Mode will just turn off the fans, acting like a silent mode. the fans will turn on when there's enough load, and overclocking your 4690K isn't going to significantly increase power draw.

2 minutes ago, amazinjoe555 said:

Ok, I heard online that it also limits the amount of voltage/power.  Is this true?

It doesn't. It just turns off the fan under a certain temperature. 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

Ok, yeah I know the power supply is overkill, it was a gift.  Does ECO mode limit the amount of power being able to be drawn, as well as turning off the fans?

1 minute ago, amazinjoe555 said:

Ok, thanks!

Glad I could help.

3 minutes ago, amazinjoe555 said:

Ok, yeah I know the power supply is overkill, it was a gift.  Does ECO mode limit the amount of power being able to be drawn, as well as turning off the fans?

here's a graph that should have been on the packaging of your PSU (there was one on the side of my G2 750 PSU)

Image result for evga eco mode graph

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

here's a graph that should have been on the packaging of your PSU (there was one on the side of my G2 750 PSU)

Image result for evga eco mode graph

Awesome, thanks very much!  I read up on ECO mode of some other forums posts, which based on the information said here, are spreading misinformation.  Thanks for clearing everything up for me!

ECO mode off does keep temperatures lower if you want that "peace of mind" but does make more noise and draw in more dust. 

"Rawr XD"