Intel processor architectures tested clock-to-clock in gaming - results all over the place

Just now, RGProductions said:

yeah, sandy is strong as well.

Probably Intel's biggest generational leap, and their best architecture to date. Sure the newer stuff is faster, but it's just revisions to Sandy Bridge let's be honest

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

You should delid and try to hit 5ghz! they tend to be able to do that.

eh maybe. not with my current cooler lol. But the thought has crossed my mind a couple times.

Mostly im too scared to delid without one of those fancy tools made for it, but im also too lazy to buy one. it'll probably happen one day though lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

There are several tests already comparing 2-6 gen i7s and the tests show very different results. Digital foundry crisys/witcher 3 tests show that, and many others.

IDK If the problem here was dx12, but that is not right. Every other test made prove otherwise.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

40 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Probably Intel's biggest generational leap, and their best architecture to date. Sure the newer stuff is faster, but it's just revisions to Sandy Bridge let's be honest

Was Sandy that big of a jump over Westmere? I figured the jump to Core (2) was far larger than from Westmere to Sandy. Probably closer to what Nehalem was to Core. Or was there something I missed from the launch reviews? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Was Sandy that big of a jump over Westmere? I figured the jump to Core (2) was far larger than from Westmere to Sandy. Probably closer to what Nehalem was to Core. 

Hmmmmm I wasn't around for that. I was born in 2011 when Sandy Bridge released so

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

DX12 in battlefield 1 is broken AF. When it doesn't crash, I get 30fps under my average DX11 rate w/ a 6850k.

Just now, Rune said:

DX12 in battlefield 1 is broken AF for Nvidia cards

FTFY :D

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

FTFY :D

The statement holds true. It's broken for the majority of the people who play it.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

The statement holds true. It's broken for the majority of the people who play it.

This is not a ground-up DX12 Title is it. Just patchwork DX12 to keep hip

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Levis95l said:

I still don't get why Ivy Bridge is constantly faster (in BF1).

The game is horribly optimized so results though repeatable are quite arbitrary, thus you can get odd results such as these.

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It would probably be worse if full dx12 since that allows for more dev error

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

21 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hmmmmm I wasn't around for that. I was born in 2011 when Sandy Bridge released so

According to the anandtech review, the 2700K was nipping at the heels of the i7 hex core of the time even in worst case scenarios. 30% or so over Lynnfield, which at the time was a 2 year old architecture. While not exactly the Conroe moment, that is quite a big improvement compared to what we've seen since. 

My eyes see the past…

12 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

can someone add to the chart dual xeon e5 2450?

Why?!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

13 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Why?!

why not?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

this isnt that shocking, the reason is that whilst Sandy and Ivy appears extremely impressive, they are running "faster then normal" with that 4GHz clock rate. This means other parts of the CPUs, like the Cache and other sub-structures will also be boosted. Whilst in the case of the Haswell, Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs, they are technically "underclocked" slightly, yes it is the base clock, but said base clock is lower then normal operating speeds.

Then again, Hyperthreading makes any product way more relevant. Even if IPC isnt a big factor, HT is

Newer CPU shows bigger lead.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

this isnt that shocking, the reason is that whilst Sandy and Ivy appears extremely impressive, they are running "faster then normal" with that 4GHz clock rate. This means other parts of the CPUs, like the Cache and other sub-structures will also be boosted. Whilst in the case of the Haswell, Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs, they are technically "underclocked" slightly, yes it is the base clock, but said base clock is lower then normal operating speeds.

Then again, Hyperthreading makes any product way more relevant. Even if IPC isnt a big factor, HT is

The funny thing is hyperthreading doesn't add more raw compute. It simply allows for better utilization of the existing compute resources. The core is just too wide for individual threads to fully saturate at all times. One could say that Hyperthreading is an integral part of the architecture to get the most out of it, and not just a feature. 

My eyes see the past…

5 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

why not?

Your chance of seeing that is only if someone here, has that exact setup and are willing to spend their entire day running the same exact benchmarks that was presented in the article. Otherwise, no one is going to dumpster dive, spend their money on building system, based on your silly request.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

16 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

me and my 3570k have been friends for a long time.. i see no reason for us to part ways.

Indeed, it is still a solid CPU. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Your chance of seeing that is only if someone here, has that exact setup and are willing to spend their entire day running the same exact benchmarks that was presented in the article. Otherwise, no one is going to dumpster dive, spend their money on building system, based on your silly request.

*holds a large stack of office PCs grabbed from work*

What? We're not doing benchmarks across the Intel years?

*mournfully goes to put PCs back before anyone notices*

My eyes see the past…

16 hours ago, Rune said:

16 hours ago, Energycore said:

I keep reading about that and I've had zero issues with it on my 980. I can run it maxed out just fine and keep a consistently high framerate. I've not noticed any weirdness either.

25 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*holds a large stack of office PCs grabbed from work*

What? We're not doing benchmarks across the Intel years?

*mournfully goes to put PCs back before anyone notices*

DO IT!

JUST DO IT!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

21 hours ago, cj09beira said:

now we will see the core race,

didn't and spread start that with FX?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 1/6/2017 at 8:46 PM, bcredeur97 said:

eh maybe. not with my current cooler lol. But the thought has crossed my mind a couple times.

Mostly im too scared to delid without one of those fancy tools made for it, but im also too lazy to buy one. it'll probably happen one day though lol

It took 1.5V for me to get 5Ghz on my 3770K.  And after a year the overclock degraded.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

so my 3960X at 4.8GHZ stable is still good after all this time?

Nice!

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

On 1/6/2017 at 8:35 PM, crisro996 said:

*looks at 3770k*

EucIfYY.gif

*looks at 4770k*