Intel processor architectures tested clock-to-clock in gaming - results all over the place

Finnish tech news site io-tech.fi has got some weird results testing the new Core i7-7700K against Intels previous processors. They tested Kaby Lake against Skylake clock-to-clock like many other news sites, but included also Sandybridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell in the testing. All processors were run at 4.0 GHz and with 2400 MHz memory speed (except Sandybridge which only supports 2133 MHz).

In synthetic benchmarks and rendering the results were as expected: Kaby Lake and Skylake scored even but otherwise performance had improved slightly by every generation. Kaby Lake beat Sandybridge by around 25-30% depending on the test.

When tested in games with GTX 1080 at 1080p the results don't seem to make any sense however. The frame rates were measured with OCAT. In Battlefield 1 (DX12) Ivy Bridge beat all the others by 12 fps despite several re-runs. With Kaby Lake and Skylake the test hitched in couple of places resulting in noticeable drop in fps. Ivy Bridge suffered from the same behavior, but not in the same level.

In Gears of war: Warhammer (DX12) and Civilization VI AI Benchmark (DX12) Kaby Lake and Skylake beat Ivy Bridge but Haswell rose to the top.

In GTA V (DX11) Haswell and Ivy Bridge were on top of Kaby Lake and Skylake.

Take this how you will. At least it seems that the IPC improvements don't really transfer to games. A small increase in clock speed would lift any one of the processors to the top.

Tell me if you liked me to translate more of the article to English. The testing methology in more detail for example.

Source and all the benchmarks for you to see: https://www.io-tech.fi/artikkelit/intel-core-i7-7700k-core-i5-7600k-kaby-lake/

tmp_29326-kabylake-bench-bf1-1993078123.png

Very interesting

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

I should note that the performance differences were fairly minimal in every other game than Battlefield but still, at least to my understanding, repeatable and valid. However they have no practical effect. For example in GTA V, Haswell was just 2 fps faster than Kaby Lake.

Yay Intel, revolutionizing the CPU world every year.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Intels focus havent really been preformance for a while now and they have just slapped more features onto the CPU but this is indeed pretty interesting results

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I honestly feel that silicon has reached its maximum, Intel or AMD will not really upgrade much from what we already have, aside from optimizations the performance gap is always going to be smaller and smaller... Intel better be already studying replacements for Silicon otherwise the 8th gen will again be nothing more than a Kaby Lake polishing and if you have a "Lake" CPU you'll stay fine enough.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

18 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I honestly feel that silicon has reached its maximum, Intel or AMD will not really upgrade much from what we already have, aside from optimizations the performance gap is always going to be smaller and smaller... Intel better be already studying replacements for Silicon otherwise the 8th gen will again be nothing more than a Kaby Lake polishing and if you have a "Lake" CPU you'll stay fine enough.

now we will see the core race,

DX12? Nope, DX12 wrappers more like it.

Why they insisted on forcing DX12 for all their game tests is beyond me? Probably did the test in DX11 mode and realised the results weren't surprising so they repeated them with DX12 forced.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

nick-young-confused-face.jpg

I think i'm not the only one...

Anyway, seems like getting a haswell cpu a while ago seems like a good idea for the future! :D

It's not like the newer stuff is faster or anything :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

56 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

IDK why but I always knew Ivy was a really strong architecture 

Everyone knows that Ivy and Sandy are really hands-down the best that Intel has made in recent history in terms of just how incredibly well they still hold up.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

35 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

DX12? Nope, DX12 wrappers more like it.

Why they insisted on forcing DX12 for all their game tests is beyond me? Probably did the test in DX11 mode and realised the results weren't surprising so they repeated them with DX12 forced.

I kind of agree with you, at least in that it would have been appropriate to test with DX11 as well after getting those results.

Then again, DX11 or 12, I still don't get why Ivy Bridge is constantly faster (in BF1). It would be a different thing if the results were comlitely random, but no, apparently those were repeatable.

54 minutes ago, Levis95l said:

I kind of agree with you, at least in that it would have been appropriate to test with DX11 as well after getting those results.

Then again, DX11 or 12, I still don't get why Ivy Bridge is constantly faster (in BF1). It would be a different thing if the results were comlitely random, but no, apparently those were repeatable.

In the PCSX2 forums, it was said that Haswell is 30% faster per clock than Ivy in emulation. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

As an owner of a 6 years old CPU struggling to find a logical reason to upgrade, I really hope Zen will blow my mind. Please AMD make it happen

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

can someone add to the chart dual xeon e5 2450?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

pcper a few months back did an interesting test proving that despite minimal changes in average framerates, the newer architectures do give consistent and smoother frame delivery with less stutters when compared to sandy bridge.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Skylake-vs-Sandy-Bridge-Discrete-GPU-Showdown

Bioshock_1920x1080_PLOT.png

GTAV_1920x1080_PLOT.png

GRID2_1920x1080_PLOT.png

MetroLL_1920x1080_PLOT.png

As shown above Metro last light had almost no difference on 1080p single GPU, but as with all the other games moving to an SLI configuration made the situation more CPU bound and allowed the newer architecture to spread it's wings.

MetroLLSLI_2560x1440_PLOT.png

3 hours ago, RGProductions said:

IDK why but I always knew Ivy was a really strong architecture 

Ivy is just die shrunk Sandy though. It was a tock

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

26 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ivy is just die shrunk Sandy though. It was a tock

Fine, Mr. Symantics.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

me and my 3570k have been friends for a long time.. i see no reason for us to part ways.

2 GPU's and counting too... #never-upgrade

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

me and my 3570k have been friends for a long time.. i see no reason for us to part ways.

2 GPU's and counting too... #never-upgrade

You should delid and try to hit 5ghz! they tend to be able to do that.

7 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Fine, Mr. Symantics.

I'm trying to say that this really shouldn't happen xD It's just die shrunk Sandy Bridge

Or maybe die shrinks do more than I think they do

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

I'm trying to say that this really shouldn't happen xD It's just die shrunk Sandy Bridge

Or maybe die shrinks do more than I think they do

yeah, sandy is strong as well.