HTC Announces Viveport - a subscription based VR service.

Remixt

HTC has announced its new subscription based VR service at CES today. It seems to be kind of like netflix for VR games, with the added bonus of social media interaction and personalization.

Capture.PNG

Today at VRLA, we are announcing Viveport as a place where people can discover the latest and greatest in VR content and experiences. Viveport will feature content across exciting, new categories for VR–like information, edutainment, social media, 360˚ video, news, sports, health, travel and shopping. The upcoming release will also introduce an update to Vive Home, which is our personal and customizable virtual space with interactive widgets and more.

A developer beta will be available in a few weeks, and consumers in 30 countries will be able to browse crazy-cool, immersive experiences in the store later this fall. We will be inviting both the creator community and Vive users to Viveport as the destination to discover, create, connect, watch and shop for the things they love and need in life.

https://blog.vive.com/us/2016/08/05/introducing-viveport/

With it comes a new website that allows you to sign up for a free trial when it becomes publicly available. No prices are listed on the announcement page at this time.

https://www.viveport.com/

I'm pretty excited for this personally. One of the few things that prevented me from jumping into VR was the cost of buying games. I don't really care much about the social media stuff, but it might be cool to check my spacebook page while in vr.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

3 hours ago, Remixt said:

I'm pretty excited for this personally. One of the few things that prevented me from jumping into VR was the cost of buying games.

I don't think this will help you there, at least not in the short to medium term.

-Vendor #44540: We are very exited to bring you this awesome feature, a subscription service that *completely tuned out whatever fucking followed*

-Me: So...more fucking bills? No thanks, bye.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

-Vendor #44540: We are very exited to bring you this awesome feature, a subscription service that *completely tuned out whatever fucking followed*

-Me: So...more fucking bills? No thanks, bye.

Maybe not so good for regular consumers, but this could be really useful at work - we have a Vive. A subscription model may allow us to get more games for a better price.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 1/6/2017 at 10:07 PM, Sakkura said:

I don't think this will help you there, at least not in the short to medium term.

It's in the short term it would help him out. He gets access to a large collection of games for the fraction of the price. Buying all the games upfront would be far more expensive.

It's in the long term he gets screwed over, because the money goes into a dark hole. If he ever cancels the subscription he lose all games.

Might be a good way to demo things though.

1) Buy Vive.

2) Sign up for this.

3) Try a bunch of games for 1 month.

4) Cancel subscription.

5) Buy the games you liked.

Edit: Looked though the news and it doesn't seem like this is game focused. So replace the word "games" in my post with "programs".

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Maybe not so good for regular consumers, but this could be really useful at work - we have a Vive. A subscription model may allow us to get more games for a better price.

I'm am now infinitely more curious to know what was the reasoning to write off VR as an office expense to get one. You work developing software/games or just have an enthusiast manager/owner that wanted to fuck around with VR?

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm am now infinitely more curious to know what was the reasoning to write off VR as an office expense to get one. You work developing software/games or just have an enthusiast manager/owner that wanted to fuck around with VR?

I work for a Public Library, so we will be offering free Vive playtime to the public.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I work for a Public Library, so we will be offering free Vive playtime to the public.

That sounds great. I wish our public libraries had cool stuff like that.

I would be pretty worried about hygiene though.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

That sounds great. I wish our public libraries had cool stuff like that.

I would be pretty worried about hygiene though.

Hygiene is a concern, but that's been thought out. We'll be replacing the standard foam cushion with a vinyl/leather/pleather type one, and just wipe em down with Alcohol disinfectant wet wipes after each use. Same thing with the DT990 Premium headphones we're using with it.

We got the idea from a local VR Arcade that does this after every session.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

1) Buy Vive.

2) Sign up for this.

4) Cancel subscription.

By the third hour you're holding on the line arguing with your 5th manager somewhere in the Philippines or Mexico that is honestly waiting for you to hang up and has not the slightest intention of canceling your subscription and fuck up his retention goal bonus for the month you'd regret this method.

I am not saying this is universal but this "try it free/cheap and cancel whenever you want" is one of the oldest "gotcha!" companies use to fuck people since they know most won't bothering canceling right away and will stay 2-3 months.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:32 AM, Remixt said:

HTC has announced its new subscription based VR service at CES today. It seems to be kind of like netflix for VR games, with the added bonus of social media interaction and personalization.

Capture.PNG

https://blog.vive.com/us/2016/08/05/introducing-viveport/

With it comes a new website that allows you to sign up for a free trial when it becomes publicly available. No prices are listed on the announcement page at this time.

https://www.viveport.com/

I'm pretty excited for this personally. One of the few things that prevented me from jumping into VR was the cost of buying games. I don't really care much about the social media stuff, but it might be cool to check my spacebook page while in vr.

Yo, dawg! I need the OP fixed if you want me to read it!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's in the short term it would help him out. He gets access to a large collection of games for the fraction of the price. Buying all the games upfront would be far more expensive.

It's in the long term he gets screwed over, because the money goes into a dark hole. If he ever cancels the subscription he lose all games.

1) Buy Vive.

2) Sign up for this.

4) Cancel subscription.

Edit: Looked though the news and it doesn't seem like this is game focused. So replace the word "games" in my post with "programs".

Yeah that's normally how I'd view subscriptions too. But in this case, it's not like Viveport has a lot of content to offer yet. That could take a while (if it even ever happens).

I mean look through their library now. Not exactly impressive... I think the only thing in there I'd want to purchase (if I didn't already have it elsewhere) is Whirligig.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

1) Buy Vive.

2) Sign up for this.

4) Cancel subscription.

what I do is buy vive games, play them for a little bit, if i dont like it i refund it then use the money to buy another game, and repeat 

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That is what "subscription" service is all about. You don't buy shit. You rent it. 

All price are fictional ones.

Microsoft office for example:  

Before: $300 for one set. 

Now: $15 a month. 

Before: use it for 3-4 years.

Now: after 20 months you basically need to buy a new set of office then after that another , it never ends. (15*20=300)

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Really? of all the problems vr has it was the cost of GAMES that put you off? Like really?

Can we get an AR implants already ?! 

Like the one in Black Mirror season 3 episode 2 "Playtest". 

That episode is insanely good ! That conceptakes me drool. The ending was mindblowing :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

3 hours ago, Thony said:

Can we get an AR implants already ?! 

Like the one in Black Mirror season 3 episode 2 "Playtest". 

That episode is insanely good ! That conceptakes me drool. The ending was mindblowing :)

I mean, LITERALLY mindblowing, yes :P

I for one avoid subscriptions whenever I can.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.