[Build Log] BBR4 - Hackintosh

BBR4 - Hackintosh

By Tommy-b-10

So I only got into custom PC's at the start of 2013, and began this build around August.

I started with the goal of building an all round computer that will last me for a few good years, whilst running both Windows and Mac OSX.

The parts guide on the tonymacx86.com website were extremely handy in the planning.

Parts

Red is for unpurchased items

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

This board was the best board I could find that supported the OSX platform, and didnt cost a butt tonne

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.5GHz and 1.13V

May as well spend and extra $100 and get the i7 than the i5. Even though I probably wont be doing any heavy editing or rendering, its nice to know I still have the options.

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB

4GB will be needed to drive 1440p well.

Storage: 1x Samsung Evo 250GB SSD

2x Seagate 1TB HDD

I'm using the SSD partitioned into 2x 125GB partitions for the OS's, one 1TB for storage and the other as a backup drive

Ram: 16GB 1600MHz GSkill

Matches the colour scheme, and I find myself using the full 8GB on my current PC

Case: Fractal Design R4 Black with Window

Loved the front of it, and the build quality is outstanding.

PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W

Perfect size and is fully modular

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

I wanted to be able to OC my CPU, and figured why not. The LED on the middle is perfect with the colour scheme.

Also using Noctua NF-F12's to cool the rad as the H100i stock ones were too loud.

Fans: 4x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition

Using as 3 intake and one exhaust.

Sleeving: MDPC-X Black and Aquamarine Blue

Beautiful and Cheap. Nil's does a really good job!

Mouse: Func MS-3

Ever since Linus's ad for this, i have really wanted it. I like to Palm my mouse, and I have relatively large hands.

Keyboard: Apple Numeric Keyboard

I know people hate membrane keyboards, but I love the one on my MacBook Pro, and I prefer the numeric keyboard version.

Monitor: Asus PB278Q

I just love the look of the monitor. Its 27" 2560x1440 and looks amazing. Whilst its expensive, its one of the cheaper 1440p ones out there. (excluding korean)

Photos

Excuse the photos. Most of them are taken on a shocking old point and shoot, and the rest are iphone quality :/

hvln6zuh.jpg

bO4Dns6h.jpg

The place I purchased the case from only had the non windowed version, so I picked up a window online for $50

xQkcpiMh.jpg

Package from PCCaseGear. Accidentally ordered 2 Fan twin packs. Turns out I needed them though so alls good :)

fuq94gah.jpg

All of the boxes for the first order :D

OsRgJTwh.jpg

Amazing case!

BhWjTP9h.jpg

w/o window

9k0PNEeh.jpg

w/ window. So much nicer.

CxNJQtRh.jpg

Insides

CZauSn1h.jpg

SP120's installed in the front.

More Soon!

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

This is going to look ballin', nice work :).

Corsair 350D - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Intel 3770K @ 4.6Ghz - Corsair H100i - G-skill Trident X 2666Mhz 4x4Gb - 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4Gb @ 1250Mhz - Corsair 860i - 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 240GB (Raid 0)

UPDATE

The Gigabyte board was delivered. Forgot to take pics though :(

Next, I went out and bought 2 cans of blue plasti dip. That stuff is amazing! I totally forgot to take and progress photos. :(

am6lSGl.jpg

Here are the pci grills sprayed. I also did all of the drive trays. NOTE: The white one was a test, but when I get a graphics card. I will be taking it out.

PwnpvPl.jpg

I also recieved my shipment of MDPC-X sleeving! Nil's does a great job, and I love the little drawing he did. NOTE: This was my first time sleeving, and the only tool I used was some paper clips and a heat gun for paint stripping.

ny6JUKD.jpg

Board installed with the sleeving and a fan :D Looking great!

WbkC21m.jpg

The backs abit of a mess. Not too bad though if I do say so myself! Still have to route the sata cables and shorten the fan controller's molex. NOTE: The sleeving for the front io connectors was very simple. I just stripped back about 10cm of the black hard sleeving, and did a short single sleeve over the small cables inside. Looks very clean, and didnt involve stripping back the entire cable.

Bs5V2nY.jpg

The 24pin looks really good!

4fGhkbf.jpg?1

SSD! The only way to unbox the next parcel.

O5TgpYW.jpg

ixcEcXa.jpg

In the drive cage.

yGDhNEE.jpg

2 of the complete trays. The rest are still drying. The finish is awesome! It has a slight texture, and the colour is perfect.

And thats all for now! Will update in a few days.

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

This is going to look ballin', nice work :).

Cheers!

Looks awesome. A great project, can't wait to see more.

Hello Internet!

Looks great so far,can't wait to see more. :)

Looks awesome. A great project, can't wait to see more.

Cheers, more soon!

Great work! Good to see more hackintosh builds here!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

we should have a how to make a hackintosh thread here 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

we should have a how to make a hackintosh thread here

The problem with that is that there are so many different variables. It would take a lot of time to put together, and there's already a dedicated forum to it: tonymacx86.com

Great work! Good to see more hackintosh builds here!

No joke! I feel like a rare breed :P

There are a few of us around. Been a hackintosh user for over 2 years

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

UPDATE

So this is it in its current stage.

ZvAglls.jpg

Mostly everything is installed/done. Just missing graphics card and proper ram.

BQZEsoR.jpg

The HDD sleds turned out pretty much perfectly. Perfect colour. A few minor paint drips here and there, but for my first time properly spray painting, I think I did a good job :P

IpxtpIb.jpg

H100i is installed.It fitted perfectly, except it had to be moved closer to the window and the cpu 8 pin didnt allow it to be centered.

nwzlI3P.jpg

Can see here what I mean. And yes I am planning on swapping out the stock h100i's fans for either SP120's, or Noctua NF-F12's. The colour of these isnt really important as you dont see them.

2Uh7pMJ.jpg

Cable management. Its not too bad. Probably could have cleaned it up abit but ohwell. Maybe later.

5fnqr4C.jpg

HDD power cable. Sleeving was just for shits with this one as it cant really be seen. The end connector ended up being too short so I had to extend that after I had sleeved it. Shows that its best to fit and measure instead of just eyeballing it :P

xfPtQBX.jpg

Guess what I'v been browsing :P The front panel picks up fingerprints very easily. But it still looks beautiful.

eAClPDs.jpg

She boots! :D Thats the battlestation.

And thats all for now! Now I'm saving up for a graphics card and a good 16gb set of RAM. Hopefully I should be set around christmas, or earlier! I'm also still needing a keyboard, mouse, and a monitor :(

Well done bro! Beautiful end product. Enjoy it! That board is awesome. Same one I have. What theme is that one shown? I'm using the regular black theme. Yours looks great!

Well done bro! Beautiful end product. Enjoy it! That board is awesome. Same one I have. What theme is that one shown? I'm using the regular black theme. Yours looks great!

Theme is LoginToLion. The mavericks logo is in a different folder and there was some renaming to do, but im sure you will figure it out. Tutorials here

that is awesome, love hackintosh computers, but why no Ubuntu. you could've had the entire party D;

that is awesome, love hackintosh computers, but why no Ubuntu. you could've had the entire party D;

Haha yeah I'm still considering it. However I don't want to waste space on my SSD as iv only got 125gb for each operating system :( if I was to do Ubuntu I'd just have a bootable usb or something

Always great to see a Hackintosh build  B)

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

Man this build really looks outstanding with R4 and the blue and black color scheme i wish my build looked half as good

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

Nice build man.

Always great to see a Hackintosh build  B)

Man this build really looks outstanding with R4 and the blue and black color scheme i wish my build looked half as good

Thanks guys! Theres still more to come but wont be for a few months 

UPDATE

Just a small update this time. I got sick of the fans that came with the h100i, so I decided to go out and splurge on 2 Noctua NF-F12's. I normally would buy something that would fit the theme of the build, but seeing as it will barely be seen, and the benefits are great, why not!

RfTUVA4.jpg

$58 worth of fans!

foBugz4.jpg

There they are!

8BWK5fl.jpg

Thats pretty much the only view you can get of them other than the top view, which is covered by a shelf.

very nice build, love the r4 and the blue colour theme.

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Well done I think you've done the R4 justice :).

Corsair 350D - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Intel 3770K @ 4.6Ghz - Corsair H100i - G-skill Trident X 2666Mhz 4x4Gb - 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4Gb @ 1250Mhz - Corsair 860i - 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 240GB (Raid 0)