Dell's Alienware 15 and 17 are now available with an RX470 8GB

captain cactus

Sauce: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/category/laptops/alienware-laptops?~ck=bt

AMD's statement at the time:

Marking another milestone in our valued collaboration with Alienware, they (Dell) have just made an exciting announcement by unveiling their latest line of premium gaming laptops: the new Alienware 15 and new Alienware 17, both available with the future-proof Radeon™ RX 470 graphics card. This isn’t a mobile variant; this is the full-powered RX 470 featuring our latest Polaris GPU architecture. Expect it to unleash uncompromising, ultra-quality 1080p visuals in your favorite games.

After announcing that they're having an RX470  in their Alienware 15 and 17 notebooks some months ago (http://www.eteknix.com/alienware-squeezes-rx-470-into-a-laptop/) the notebooks have gone on sale as of today.

First up is the Alienware 15.

laptop-alienware-15-black-non-touch-fron

Starting at $1349, it gets you an Intel Core i5-7300HQ quad-core CPU, 8GBs of single-stick single channel RAM and a 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive.

Moving up to the Alienware 17 now.

laptop-alienware-17-black-right-bsf-hero

$1449 gives you an Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 8GB of single-stick single-channel RAM and a 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive.

The RX470 in both of these is the full desktop 2048 stream processor one with 8GB of GDDR5 memory, and if AMD is to be believed with their "full desktop RX470" quote it runs at the same 926/1266 MHz as the desktop cards. Both of these laptops come with a 68 Wh battery, upgradable to a 99 Wh one for $50.

One thing they both don't have though is a FreeSync-enabled display. That's a bummer, seeing how the GeForce 10-series editions of the Alienware 15 and 17 do have a GSync display.

Interesting devices. The RX470 is no slouch at 1080p, so for the prices given they're actually pretty great notebooks.

Ye ole' train

30 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

After announcing that they're having an RX470  in their Alienware 15 and 17 notebooks some months ago (http://www.eteknix.com/alienware-squeezes-rx-470-into-a-laptop/) the notebooks have gone on sale as of today.

Starting at $1349, it gets you an Intel Core i5-7300HQ quad-core CPU, 8GBs of single-stick single channel RAM and a 1TB 72 RPM hard drive.

72 RPM wow thats slow.... lol

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

9 minutes ago, sof006 said:

72 RPM wow thats slow.... lol

They put a record player in it? Now that's what I call legacy support.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

they kinda of had to put the full desktop card in otherwise they would be a laughing stock compared to Nvidia's current line up 

I lurk a lot

5 minutes ago, peej said:

they kinda of had to put the full desktop card in otherwise they would be a laughing stock compared to Nvidia's current line up 

There aren't any RX470 "mobile" in the first place. It's either a desktop RX470 or a desktop RX470.

Seeing how later RX-series GPUs have become more power efficient and overclock higher than their earlier versions it won't actually consume that much power either. I mean, a stock-clocked RX480 only pulls like 87W when under full load (JayzTwoCents' XFX RX480 GTR did at least), an RX470 will pull even less than that.

Ye ole' train

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

There aren't any RX470 "mobile" in the first place. It's either a desktop RX470 or a desktop RX470.

Seeing how later RX-series GPUs have become more power efficient and overclock higher than their earlier versions it won't actually consume that much power either. I mean, a stock-clocked RX480 only pulls like 87W when under full load (JayzTwoCents' XFX RX480 GTR did at least), an RX470 will pull even less than that.

I'm saying AMD had to make their full desktop card work in laptops sorry for the confusion:/ 

I lurk a lot

on the bright side this may make it easier to use as an hackintosh (and i'll spend the next months scouring tony's forum in hope to find someone that gets one of these up and running)

downside: 1080p screen and hard drive for the base model

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

So how exactly does this compare to the notebook 1050ti and 1060 in terms of price and performance?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

So how exactly does this compare to the notebook 1050ti and 1060 in terms of price and performance?

Smoking a 1050Ti by about 30-40% just like on the desktop. 1060 will probably be a bit faster (depending on the API though).

Dell didn't want a 1050Ti in their Alienware notebooks but also wanted something specced lower and cheaper than a 1060 so they called upon AMD and put an RX470 in there. Do wonder though why they went with the 8GB version with a 1080p screen.

Ye ole' train

Nice, though how come not RX480 ?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

32 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Do wonder though why they went with the 8GB version with a 1080p screen.

Becasue MOAR memory equals MOAR power in the minds of 90% of consumers. I assure you someone will pick the RX 470 over the 1060 "because it's faster cuz of the more memory".

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

19 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Nice, though how come not RX480 ?

Too high of a power draw with too much heat coming off of it. It'll also cannibalise the 1060 sales since an RX480 is equal or faster with more VRAM on it too but at a lower price.

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Too high of a power draw with too much heat coming off of it. It'll also cannibalise the 1060 sales since an RX480 is equal or faster with more VRAM on it too but at a lower price.

Hmm it's not that much more power draw though. Maybe we see it later on.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Hmm it's not that much more power draw though. Maybe we see it later on.

TDP of an RX470 is 120W, RX480 is 150W. In a notebook with limited cooling that's a massive difference.

Not that the RX470 in here draws 120W. I'm pretty sure they've been binned to some degree to only get the ones that consume the least amount of power.

Ye ole' train

54 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

TDP of an RX470 is 120W, RX480 is 150W. In a notebook with limited cooling that's a massive difference.

Not that the RX470 in here draws 120W. I'm pretty sure they've been binned to some degree to only get the ones that consume the least amount of power.

Yeah true, though for sure RX480 could be seen in better cooled laptop, question is how much would it be worth it I guess.

9 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Smoking a 1050Ti by about 30-40% just like on the desktop. 1060 will probably be a bit faster (depending on the API though).

Dell didn't want a 1050Ti in their Alienware notebooks but also wanted something specced lower and cheaper than a 1060 so they called upon AMD and put an RX470 in there. Do wonder though why they went with the 8GB version with a 1080p screen.

Skyrim Mods.... Lots, and lots of Skyrim mods. 

13 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Skyrim Mods.... Lots, and lots of Skyrim mods. 

IIRC correctly, the 480 is on par with the GTX 970, so you could also do plenty of Fallout 4 mods.

I'm running Fallout 4 on a Strix 970 and a 4690k, with about 90 mods. Although these are in a desktop with a 280mm AIO water cooler.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 06/01/2017 at 0:23 PM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I mean, a stock-clocked RX480 only pulls like 87W when under full load (JayzTwoCents' XFX RX480 GTR did at least), an RX470 will pull even less than that.

"RX470 will pull even less than that"

I mean my 1270MHz RX470 pulls around 98watts underload only for the core so maybe it highly depends on which wafer is used for the RX470 you're talking about :P 

But to be fair, AMD's E9550 has a TDP of only 95watts (including board and memory power) while containing a full polaris 10 chip so I think that once back ups the argument of how gloflo is rubbish at creating consistent 14nm wafers :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

On 7-1-2017 at 4:39 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

"RX470 will pull even less than that"

I mean my 1270MHz RX470 pulls around 98watts underload only for the core so maybe it highly depends on which wafer is used for the RX470 you're talking about :P 

But to be fair, AMD's E9550 has a TDP of only 95watts (including board and memory power) while containing a full polaris 10 chip so I think that once back ups the argument of how gloflo is rubbish at creating consistent 14nm wafers :P 

GloFlo's earlier 14nm wafers were a bit crap indeed. It's why the earlier RX480s were so crap at OC'ing since you had to push a crapload of volts trough the chip for like 1375 MHz resulting in total board power being up around 160W. Now we have RX480s on lower voltages pulling around 130W total board power at like 1450-1475 MHz. Same GloFlo wafer, just with consistent good quality wafers.

Ye ole' train

5 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

GloFlo's earlier 14nm wafers were a bit crap indeed. It's why the earlier RX480s were so crap at OC'ing since you had to push a crapload of volts trough the chip for like 1375 MHz. Now we have RX480s on lower voltages pulling around 140W total board power at like 1450-1475 MHz. Same GloFlo wafer, just with consistent good quality wafers.

Too bad my RX470 was one of those shitty wafers :/ 

12 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Too bad my RX470 was one of those shitty wafers :/ 

You got it early I presume?

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

You got it early I presume?

I got it used...totally didn't get a review sample as I later found out xD 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Starting at $1349, it gets you an Intel Core i5-7300HQ quad-core CPU, 8GBs of single-stick single channel RAM and a 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive.

Moving up to the Alienware 17 now.

laptop-alienware-17-black-right-bsf-hero

$1449 gives you an Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 8GB of single-stick single-channel RAM and a 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive.

The RX470 in both of these is the full desktop 2048 stream processor one with 8GB of GDDR5 memory, and if AMD is to be believed with their "full desktop RX470" quote it runs at the same 926/1266 MHz as the desktop cards. Both of these laptops come with a 68 Wh battery, upgradable to a 99 Wh one for $50.

One thing they both don't have though is a FreeSync-enabled display. That's a bummer, seeing how the GeForce 10-series editions of the Alienware 15 and 17 do have a GSync display.

Interesting devices. The RX470 is no slouch at 1080p, so for the prices given they're actually pretty great notebooks.

your article is misleading and implies that it uses the desktop RX 470 rather than a custom designed laptop version.

The RX 470 for notebooks uses a lot less power= and is a different SKU entirely to that of the desktop version.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),