AMD ramping up Ryzen flagship clockspeeds as we move closer to launch

Humbug
16 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

To be fair, the 5820K for a long time costed the same as the inflated 6700K and it still costs about the same if you look around a bit. The biggest problem is how cheapest x99 motherboards are 2 times more expensive than the cheapest z170 motherboards but you can't blame intel for that...

Intel is the one who makes chipset how can you not blame them? Also x99 is always generation behind if not more. 

My point was what we pay for 4 core a CPU is still way too high. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

There was a difference? :P

A tiny one.

5.png

41 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Yes

But 4Ghz+ versions may slightly exceed originally planned 95 watt TDP... still more efficient than Intel though.

What why is it more efficient????

Intel measures it differently!

8 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Intel is the one who makes chipset how can you not blame them? Also x99 is always generation behind if not more. 

1. Motherboard Manufacturers are the one who chooses what prices motherboards are.

2. Enthusiast series CPUs have a higher TDP thus they need beefed up power deliveries while not factoring in that how a 500MHz overclock on a enthusiast series CPU has a bigger delta than consumer series CPU

3. As enthusiast-grade CPUs have more CPU PCIe lanes and chipset(?) lanes, they have to create a more complex motherboard thus driving up costs

4. And? I don't see any issues with Broadwell-e compared to Skylake...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

36 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Btw he also confirms its not on par with Skylake in terms of single threaded performance, but in multi threaded work loads the 4 ghz boost one can get close to Intel's 6950x 10 core. 

that makes no sense. if single core is worse how could an 8 core beat a 10 core in multi threading.

unless amd did some magic for schedueling and such. but that has to be some big stuff if it could compensate for almost 2 entire cores in a multi thread scenarios.

2 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

that makes no sense. if single core is worse how could an 8 core beat a 10 core in multi threading.

unless amd did some magic for schedueling and such. but that has to be some big stuff if it could compensate for almost 2 entire cores in a multi thread scenarios.

I didn't say beat, I didn't say equel even, I said come close mate .

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

2 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

I didn't say beat, I didn't say equel even, I said come close mate .

close is still good. my point still stands if singular performance is behind but multi comes close than something is compensating for almost 2 cores difference.

4 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

close is still good. my point still stands if singular performance is behind but multi comes close than something is compensating for almost 2 cores difference.

applications scalability beyond 8 cores, the higher clock of the Ryzen CPU and better SMT implementation  could all be valid reasons for that. look at the bulldozer arch when used in multithreaded workloads. 

1 minute ago, 3DOSH said:

applications scalability beyond 8 cores,the higher clock of the Ryzen CPU and better SMT implementation  could all be reasons. look at the bulldozer arch when used in multithreaded workloads. 

Also each architecture is different and could be strong in different types of workloads.

For example the fx-8350 despite it's weak floating point performance had strong integer performance.

34 minutes ago, Humbug said:

A tiny one.

5.png

Exactly. That 5 point difference is only noticeable in benchmarks.

So if the pricing is right AMD has a CPU that'll sell like hotcakes.

Ye ole' train

24 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

Clockspeed. The 6950X only does 3.0GHz base, 3.5GHz boost, 4GHz with Turbo Boost 3.0  (and that's just on a single core boost). If an 8c/16t Ryzen CPU has a base clock of 3.6 and turbos to like 3.8 on all cores it'll meet or exceed the 6950X. Depends on the workload of course.

Ye ole' train

Even better news!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 hour ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

4 core Zen = i3 pricing

6 core Zen = i5 pricing

8 core Zen = i7 pricing

Hmm I think that's a little optimistic don't ya think? haha

So is this going to be like the Fury where it'll come overclocked out of the box so much that you can barely of it yourself? :D

4 minutes ago, SuperShires said:

Actually, not.

Remember, the i3-7350K costs around $180. AMD doesn't have Skylake IPC, so they're going for the same pricing but with a true quad-core with SMT. An i5-7600K will set you back $240, so AMD will hover around that price point but with a 6c/12t CPU. As for the i7 replacement, yeah, that's going to cost more, something like $350-$370. But again, that's an 8 core unlocked CPU (as is the case for all the other Ryzen CPUs). Intel charges that for a 4c/8t i7-7700K.

Again, this is going from Buildzoid's video. He has his sources. If he says it'll be a lot cheaper than Intel's current offerings, it's probably true.

Ye ole' train

11 minutes ago, SuperShires said:

It's from the Hyderabad shipping manifests, they haven't been wrong before

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

13 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

So is this going to be like the Fury where it'll come overclocked out of the box so much that you can barely of it yourself? :D

That wouldn't really make sense considering they're touting the dynamic frequency feature that overclocks based on temperatures, much like GPU boost.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

5 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Huh, well in that case I think AMD will be my choice of CPU when I rebuild my computer :)

8 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Can you post a link, I'm anxious to see the prices.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Can you post a link, I'm anxious to see the prices.

It's on this forum, probably 7-10 pages back by now

$150, $250, $350 and $500 (two different 8 core SKUs at the high end)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

3 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

It's on this forum, probably 7-10 pages back by now

$150, $250, $350 and $500 (two different 8 core SKUs at the high end)

Oh fuck I was spot-on then with my predictions (without the high-end SKU then).

But I still wanna see that source. Not really wanna dig 7 pages deep searching for a link.

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, Ashaira said:

Well the single thread performance was compared to a higher clocked lower core count Intel processor, the 6950X base/boost is lower than the 6900K. It's not a big difference but something to keep in mind.

Also scheduling so many cores and keeping thread coherency is complex, if you can do that more efficiently you can get more usable performance.

Just a quick thought: did AMD mention any Zen CPUs for the mobile market that aren't APUs? I'd like Intel to get some competition in the notebook space as well.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Just a quick thought: did AMD mention any Zen CPUs for the mobile market that aren't APUs? I'd like Intel to get some competition in the notebook space as well.

Not sure, with these potentially such low TDPs they could just use 4c/6c desktop SKUs. Some laptops have already done this with Intel processors. I don't think AMD is all that interested in making mobile chips that aren't APUs. They have invested heavily in to APUs and things like HSA, don't think they'll want to waste that money.

Would be a rather limited application for a mobile CPU that doesn't have integrated graphics.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not sure, with these potentially such low TDPs they could just use 4c/6c desktop SKUs. Some laptops have already done this with Intel processors. I don't think AMD is all that interested in making mobile chips that aren't APUs. They have invested heavily in to APUs and things like HSA, don't think they'll want to waste that money.

Would be a rather limited application for a mobile CPU that doesn't have integrated graphics.

I was talking more like Zen performance with some form of iGPU. The APUs aren't exactly powerhouses like Intel's -HQ scheme.

Ye ole' train