Do AMD coolers all use the same tension mount?

TechnoSword

Do they all use the same mount? The mounting brackets have different screw holes- yes. 

I know FM2(+) and FM3(+) share the same tension mount system, but does even their C32 socket share the same mount? I know it has a tension mount, but I have no idea if it's the same. 

From pictures, NO. 

C32

Image result for C32 socket

AM3+

Image result for am3+

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

From pictures, NO. 

C32

Image result for C32 socket

AM3+

I know the mount holes are different. Already stated that,but do they use the same tension mount? 

C32 mount

CPU-Cooler-Retainer-Bracket-AMD-Socket-7

AM3 mount

meU3IrIj7FIIBz-X9g7vAZA.jpg

They look the same. 

1 minute ago, TechnoSword said:

I know the mount holes are different. Already stated that,but do they use the same tension mount? 

C32 mount

CPU-Cooler-Retainer-Bracket-AMD-Socket-7

AM3 mount

meU3IrIj7FIIBz-X9g7vAZA.jpg

They look the same. 

No, the clip location are different, they are only one clip on AM3 but you can see ~2.5 clip on c32. 

Magical Pineapples

9 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

No, the clip location are different, they are only one clip on AM3 but you can see ~2.5 clip on c32. 

Yes but all the C32 specific coolers I've seen only use the center pegs just like AM3/AM2 coolers. 

The real question is if the length between those two pegs is the same as it is on the consumer platform. If it is, then I can use any AMD cooler. How would you go about finding that out though?

Has no one here worked with a C32/F board before? Anything Intel made has mounds of paperwork and user experience on it, but it seems like AMD stuff is foreign to everyone. Googling anything related to AMD server stuff gets you results that look like they're 15 google pages deep on the first page. 

I've look around in various places and it seems to be a common theme that people will interject their opinion using conjecture. We have theories here, but no definite "I've worked with this, and no you can't". Only "I think that maybe this is how it works". Which I could ask the same question to a random guy on the street and get the same kind of answer. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Grabbed a stock AMD heat sink for a AM3+ FX CPU. 

It does work. You can use any heat sink with socket C32 that uses AMD's tension mount system, as long as you get the bracket for it. The bracket for it is not proprietary to its own special socket specific cooler line- all AMD tension mounted coolers will work. 

Downside- the Opterons 4184 TJMAX that I got is only 70C. It's rated at  a 95 watt TDP, but despite the cooler being rated for a 125 watt FX chip- it doesn't keep it under that when put under a synthetic max load, as I assume the FX chips have a much higher TJMAX.

I ran IntelBurnTest, and it reached 70 for few secs here or there during the run (the board gave me some unpleasant overheating warning beeps aswell). That said, it got the same score as a Phenom II 1055t with turbo off (I have a friend with one). So despite having a different architecture name, the only real differences seems to be the higher TJMAX of the Phenom, the lower voltage (1.35 vs 1.475) of the Opteron, and the lack of turbo boost.

Did some heavy gaming on it and logged temps, and in real world gaming scenarios (ones that do use all 6 cores properly too mind you) I've never had it go over 65C. It averages between 50C and 60C. The idle tempature (with the cooler set to max speed in BIOS) is 25C (ambient is 60F). It should be noted that it only has a single temperature sensor for the whole CPU, instead of one per core. 

Hope this info helps someone eventually *shrug*