Microsoft's tweaking the Windows 10 UI in "Project Neon"

Mira Yurizaki
1 hour ago, Agost said:

improve hi dpi scaling pls

You mean: Improve High-DPI for unsupported applications.

It has been improved with the coming up Creators Update. Text and elements are more sharp. Steam is as blurry mess as before, if you wondered.

You should complain to the devs of the software that don't support high-DPI. They might need to be reminded that 2012 has long past away, and high-DPI displays is common.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You mean: Improve High-DPI for unsupported applications.

It has been improved with the coming up Creators Update. Text and elements are more sharp. Steam is as blurry mess as before, if you wondered.

You should complain to the devs of the software that don't support high-DPI. They might need to be reminded that 2012 has long past away, and high-DPI displays is common.

Not even Microsoft's own programs has proper support for high-DPI...

Face it, Window's APIs for high DPI are garbage. For crying out loud, even the official APIs you want developers to use only fetches the DPI info at user login, which means that if your resolution ever changes you will need to logout and login to refresh that info, or else you start seeing that terrible bitmap stretching again.

Microsoft has been saying that they have "fixed" the APIs ever since Windows Vista, but like clockwork they come out with an announcement that this time they have "fixed" the issues. These days even Microsoft themselves, after the anniversary update, say that they still haven't implemented all the things which might be necessary for developers to implement proper high-DPI scaling.

In the same blog post they actually describe the process they went though when trying to make some of their first party programs work well. If you read between the lines a bit, you can feel how frustrating Microsoft's own developers think it is (or as the developer himself describes it "pain").

In fact, it was so painful for them, and flat out broken, that they just gave up and redesigned the way Windows handles scaling (this was during the development of Windows 10).

Even if we ignore what Microsoft has said (that their current APIs are not enough for developers to fully update their desktop applications to handle scaling well), and we assume that the APIs are currently perfect, they were delivered extremely late. It's not been that many months since Windows 10 anniversary started rolling out (which fixed some major limitations with the APIs). You can't blame developers that "it's not 2012 anymore" when Microsoft only started providing them (and for many developers, still aren't) with the APIs needed a handful of months ago.

Link to the blog, and some relevant quotes from it:

[...] during the development cycle for the first release of Windows 10 we decided to start improving the way Windows handled dynamic display scaling by updating some in-box UI components, such as the Windows File Explorer, to scale correctly.

This was a great learning experience for us because it taught us about the problems developers face when trying to update their applications to dynamically scale and where Windows was limited in this regard. One of the main lessons learned was that, even for simple applications, the model of registering an application as being either System DPI Aware or Per-Monitor-DPI Aware was too rigid of a requirement [...]

[...]This helped us feel the pain that developers face when trying to adhere to the rigid model that Windows required of them.

[...] Lesson learned. It was clear to us that we needed to break apart this rigid, process-wide, model for display scaling that Windows required.

During the first Windows 10 release we developed functionality that would enable non-client area to scale dynamically, but it wasn’t ready for prime-time and wasn’t released publicly until we released the Anniversary Update.

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update delivers useful API for developers that want to update desktop applications to support dynamic DPI scaling in their applications, in particular EnableNonClientDpiScaling and SetThreadDpiAwarenessContext (also known as “mixed-mode”), but there is still some missing functionality that we weren’t able to deliver. Windows common controls (comctl32.dll) do not support per-monitor DPI scaling and non-client area DPI-scaling is only supported for top-level windows (child-window non-client area, such as child-window scroll bars do not automatically scale for DPI (even in the Anniversary Update)).

We recognize that these, and many other, platform features are going to be needed by developers before they’re fully unblocked from updating their desktop applications to handle display scaling well.

We recognize that there are still gaps in the DPI-scaling functionality that Windows offers desktop application developers and the importance of fully unblocking developers in this space.

its not BAD but it sure isnt any better either

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

They're at least listening. I think this is what windows 10 should have looked like but let's hope for at least some consistency, that to me is more important than what design language the go for, that they are consistent with it (looking at you explorer)

Isn't it weird that the kde project has had this for years despite being foss and ms still has to get their crap together?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Isn't it weird that the kde project has had this for years despite being foss and ms still has to get their crap together?

inb4 random rant about linux and terminals being bad for idiot-joe-sumers

yeah, completely agree. And funny thing: there's a distro named KDE Neon xD

https://neon.kde.org

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 06/01/2017 at 1:49 AM, TheKDub said:

Lenovo doesn't seem to have all the needed drivers available for download.

Look up what individual parts the laptop consists of, then look for drivers at the parts manufacturers' sites or on the download section of other laptops that use the same parts. 

When I wanted to upgrade my XP netbook to Vista (Win7 wasn't out yet) , Packard Bell didn't have any drivers for it either and their helpdesk told me it was impossible to get it working.  Took me a couple of hours to find them all but it was worth it ... if only to prove them wrong.

Slightly more on-topic :

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Microsoft has been saying that they have "fixed" the APIs ever since Windows Vista, but like clockwork they come out with an announcement that this time they have "fixed" the issues.

They also say that they're going to care about PC gaming and that the new version of Windows is the most secure ever, so I'm taking any of their claims with a mountain of salt. 

Of all the things that need fixing, they choose to focus on the UI.  I can't even ...

15 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

With aero and fraps, you can record your desktop. Great for tutorials or need to show a video on something you need help on. It stopped working since win8.

Dude. Use OBS. Its free and much more configurable.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

surprisingly enough i quite like the design + im not really that bothered by windows 10 so i welcome the visual improvements - IMO

Would love to see more translucent UI elements make a come back.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

inb4 random rant about linux and terminals being bad for idiot-joe-sumers

yeah, completely agree. And funny thing: there's a distro named KDE Neon xD

https://neon.kde.org

knew about it, but I like arch ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For everyone with Groove Music not syncing from OneDrive: It only works in a handful of countries.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

On 1/6/2017 at 5:11 AM, dalekphalm said:

What a cop-out comment.

On 1/6/2017 at 5:11 AM, dalekphalm said:

But I cannot understand your stance here.

Welcome to how I feel in most Microsoft-related threads.

You might say that Microsoft gets a bad rep around here, but this forum also has a large number of people who will defend Microsoft unconditionally.

Well done Microsoft!

Now, how about you fix your broken fucking piece of crap WDM Audio Architecture?

Sadly these are just for the new UI apps, the explorer and older page elements will remain ugly foreever, making the OS have super pretty Store apps and super ugly old explorer, typicall from MS....

Give it a few years and most of the controls users had back in Windows 7 will be restored to Windows 10.

People still won't be suited. and in the end it is each to their own. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

9 hours ago, Qub3d said:

Dude. Use OBS. Its free and much more configurable.

And it crashes a lot.

11 hours ago, deviant88 said:

Sadly these are just for the new UI apps, the explorer and older page elements will remain ugly foreever, making the OS have super pretty Store apps and super ugly old explorer, typicall from MS....

Afaik, they are working on a new UWP explorer

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, dalekphalm said:

Anyone else think that Groove now looks almost identical, UI wise, to Zune Desktop Player? Ahhh Zune... you were one of the best Desktop players out there for your time.

Zune literally is windows 10. but many years early.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Afaik, they are working on a new UWP explorer

Oh God no... That would be absolutely horrible. How would that even work?

Goodbye customization. Goodbye proper GUI. Good bye changing file permissions (UWP can not run as admin, so for example changing file permissions, and reading/writing to protected folders like C:\Windows will not work).

Hello confused users. Hello slow animations.

looks nice, me likes

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Does windows really need a UI upgrade? Why not focus your time and resources on fixing and adding other features Microsoft. Take a leaf out of Linux's book, where the UI is basically never changed and they focus all their RnD on actually useful stuff. 

Here's a few of ideas that could get you started: Fix Window's trash search feature, Improve stability on exotic hardware, fix security issues, make windows update the all inclusive driver update feature so that users dont have to go diking arround in a hundered different updaters and finally finish moving away from control panel and have all settings in one place.

1 minute ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Does windows really need a UI upgrade? Why not focus your time and resources on fixing and adding other features Microsoft. Take a leaf out of Linux's book, where the UI is basically never changed and they focus all their RnD on actually useful stuff. 

Here's a few of ideas that could get you started: Fix Window's trash search feature,

They're doing that as part of Windows by using more telemetry and by having Cortana. Except most people take this the wrong way and get mad.

Improve stability on exotic hardware,

Exotic?

fix security issues, make windows update the all inclusive driver update feature so that users dont have to go diking arround in a hundered different updaters and finally finish moving away from control panel and have all settings in one place.

I never touch control pane anymore....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),