Microsoft's tweaking the Windows 10 UI in "Project Neon"

Mira Yurizaki

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/14176806/microsoft-windows-10-project-neon-design

https://mspoweruser.com/project-neon-windows-10-first-look/

Microsoft is currently planning to refresh its Windows 10 user interface elements in an update that will arrive later this year. The software giant will make more use of animations, and visual blurring elements from the Aero Glass era of Windows Vista and Windows 7 in what’s described internally as Project Neon. MSPoweruser has obtained screenshots of concept ideas that Microsoft is currently experimenting with after Windows Central reported on Project Neon last year. The concepts include the ability to blur parts of the navigation areas of apps.

In all honesty, it doesn't look anything like Aero. It looks more like what Apple did with the latest version of macOS. And I don't like it.

Well, I haven't seen these animations so let's hope those are nice.

Interesting ... lets see what comes of it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Anyone else think that Groove now looks almost identical, UI wise, to Zune Desktop Player? Ahhh Zune... you were one of the best Desktop players out there for your time.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yay. Another app design standard I need to adopt :(.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I wish my laptop could use 8.1 instead of 10.... (No driver support :( )

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

This change looks subtle, and is so-so. Windows 10 generally has a sterile feel to it, IMO.

I would prefer to have a Windows 7-style UI as an option, which is why I use startisback, Aero Glass, and I think one other app. I hope that this update isn't going to break 3rd-party Windows 10 mods, like the Anniversary Update did.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Windows 10 drivers are mostly compatible with Windows NT6 (Vista through 8.1).

I had tried with it before, Lenovo doesn't seem to have all the needed drivers available for download.

Might be worth another go if I can get my hands on another m.2 drive to test in it. (That way I don't have to worry about losing my current installation of 10 pro in case it doesn't work out)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I would rather they fix the UI problems like there still being a separate Control Panel vs Settings, for example, over tweaking the visual art style.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I would rather they fix the UI problems like there still being a separate Control Panel vs Settings, for example, over tweaking the visual art style.

That's more of a UX problem than a UI problem.

But otherwise a valid point :P

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's more of a UX problem than a UI problem.

But otherwise a valid point :P

Sure - but I personally use UX and UI in a somewhat interchangeable manner, even though I realize that they technically are distinct :P

Aww, I really liked the more minimalist ui. If I have the option to disable animations I will.

it really is like the apple ui

i like it, but then again i like osx over windows (in design)

and i use an iphone..

as long as its not forcing me to enter in 10 different tabs to get to a thing i want to use, itunes.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Anyone else think that Groove now looks almost identical, UI wise, to Zune Desktop Player? Ahhh Zune... you were one of the best Desktop players out there for your time.

Well the names of the packages for that app are called Zune player.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

26 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Groove IS Zune. They literally just rebranded it.

In any case, those screenshots tell me nothing, I never used a single one of those applications on my desktop, in fact I have deleted them, so I can't even compare "old" vs "new".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Groove IS Zune. They literally just rebranded it.

In any case, those screenshots tell me nothing, I never used a single one of those applications on my desktop, in fact I have deleted them, so I can't even compare "old" vs "new".

Well it's not a literal rebrand, because you can't use it to Sync Windows Mobile devices (Windows 10 Mobile, specifically) - and correct me if I'm wrong, you can't sync Windows Phone 8.1 with it either.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well it's not a literal rebrand, because you can't use it to Sync Windows Mobile devices (Windows 10 Mobile, specifically) - and correct me if I'm wrong, you can't sync Windows Phone 8.1 with it either.

Groove Music is an app for Windows 10 Mobile as well. It's the same app on both Desktop and Mobile.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Oooh sweet. I guess they liked AMD Crimson drivers enough to copy them :D

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well to be honest, Sync never worked for my Zune either... And when it did do something, It would either double every songs or somehow delete everything... 

And we do have Groove on Window Phone, it has support for continuum (as useless as that is right now) and it also does have a "sync" option in the settings. I honestly have no clue what it does though or how it works, it just says "Sync complete" when I click it and doesn't seems to actually do anything?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Well to be honest, Sync never worked for my Zune either... And when it did do something, It would either double every songs or somehow delete everything... 

And we do have Groove on Window Phone, it has support for continuum (as useless as that is right now) and it also does have a "sync" option in the settings. I honestly have no clue what it does though or how it works, it just says "Sync complete" when I click it and doesn't seems to actually do anything?

It syncs your music across devices using OneDrive if i'm not mistaken.

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

IIRC Grove is able to sync player information through Onedrive if you have it [not the music itself just the playlists you own]. I don't know from experience as I don't use anything but Pandora.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Again? Why?

What are they trying to accomplish exactly?

They keep changing stuff around so you constantly need to adjust to their changes and once you are somewhat used to it BAM it's all changed again...

If they want so many designs, what about giving the USER the choice? Yea that's a crazy idea isn't it? (it isn't...)

There is theme stuff probably somewhere in W10 so why don't continue developing that so we can decide for ourself what look we want...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It syncs your music across devices using OneDrive if i'm not mistaken.

Oh I see, that's why it does nothing then. I don't use OneDrive.

43 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/14176806/microsoft-windows-10-project-neon-design

https://mspoweruser.com/project-neon-windows-10-first-look/

In all honesty, it doesn't look anything like Aero. It looks more like what Apple did with the latest version of macOS. And I don't like it.

Well, I haven't seen these animations so let's hope those are nice.

Does this confirm that there won't be a new windows?