AM4 Platform question.

So I know all the new AM4 "Ryzen ready" Motherboards are showing up as CES today, There's like 6 videos on it in my youtube feed, as well a ton of artcles online I'm sure.

One question I didn't haven't seen answered is what older chips is going to be supported on the new platform? I know I saw somewhere that they're going to be re-releasing AM4 compatible versions of older chips, but I never saw list of the chips that are going to be released.

Edit:

Okay I'm even more confused now, I just finished watching the Paul's Hardware video and he said they were going to reconfigure the current 7th gen APUs for AM4

Why go for an older chip that's been updated to work on AM4 than buying a chip that was made from the ground up for AM4?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

new platform, new chip, new socket....... far as I know. no backwards compatibility.

I don't know what the pricing on the new Ryzen chips are going to be, and it's not actually for me. My co-worker wants to build a budget AMD system, and I doubt any of the new Ryzen chips are going to be budget.

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

I am pretty sure none of older CPUs will be supported

Why are they being refered to as "Ryzen ready" then?

54 minutes ago, Deusrex said:

I don't know what the pricing on the new Ryzen chips are going to be, and it's not actually for me. My co-worker wants to build a budget AMD system, and I doubt any of the new Ryzen chips are going to be budget.

Why are they being refered to as "Ryzen ready" then?

Who are "they"

Absolutely none of the older cpus will work. They massively increased the number of pins and changed the layout significantly and 0 AMD cpus have support for ddr4 ram.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

3 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

Who are "they"

PCPer is the source of that specific quote. However I've heard it from other outlets. 

3 hours ago, incarnate said:

Absolutely none of the older cpus will work. They massively increased the number of pins and changed the layout significantly and 0 AMD cpus have support for ddr4 ram.

I see so thety just haven't announced any of the chips that are going to go on the AM4 platform?

Edited by Deusrex

23 minutes ago, Deusrex said:

PCPer is the source of that specific quote. However I've heard it from other outlets. 

I see so thety just haven't announced any of the chips that are going to go on the AM4 platform?

No but they did announce the pin count... They added about 400. So yeah, you can rule out all current cpus

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

10 hours ago, Deusrex said:

Still haven't answered my question. You said "Why are they being refered to as "Ryzen ready" then?" so i am pretty sure you think about some older CPUs so say what older CPUs are "ryzen ready"?

Zen is the architecture. Ryzen are the first CPUs on that architecture.

AM4 motherboards will only accept Zen CPUs (so only Ryzen at this point) and AMD 7th gen APUs (forgot what they're called). All FX and Phenoms and Athlons won't be supported.

Ye ole' train

9 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

Still haven't answered my question. You said "Why are they being refered to as "Ryzen ready" then?" so i am pretty sure you think about some older CPUs so say what older CPUs are "ryzen ready"?

Mother boards are being refered to as "Ryzen ready" which lead me to believe that other things could go into them.

9 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Zen is the architecture. Ryzen are the first CPUs on that architecture.

AM4 motherboards will only accept Zen CPUs (so only Ryzen at this point) and AMD 7th gen APUs (forgot what they're called). All FX and Phenoms and Athlons won't be supported.

AMDs 7th Gen APU/CPUs are called Summit ridge.

Just now, Deusrex said:

Mother boards are being refered to as "Ryzen ready" which lead me to believe that other things could go into them.

AMDs 7th Gen APU/CPUs are called Summit ridge.

What motherboards?

Okay I'm even more confused now, I just finished watching the Paul's Hardware video and he said they were going to reconfigure the current 7th gen APUs for AM4

44 minutes ago, Deusrex said:

The 7th gen apus are the 9XXX series which are only compatible with am4

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-am4-desktop-platform-bristol-ridge-apu-a-series-hp-lenovo/

My rig: