LG is abandoning the modular smartphone idea

It wasn't long ago when modular phone ideas were a thing of the future, and the future seems to become less interesting and less appreciated. Google abandoned Project Ara after seeing little progress being made in its development and the market is quite frankly not as interested as they would've hoped. LG seems to be waving the white flag as well with their LG G5 seeing abysmal sales figures. 

Per The Wall Street Journal, an LG spokesperson commented that consumers aren’t interested in modular phones. The company instead is planning to focus on functionality and design aspects for the upcoming G6, which Chief Technologist Skott Ahn says will be released “in the very near future.”

I'm personally waiting for what LG has to offer with their G6 even if they ditch the modules though it is sad to see it go so soon. I wonder if they will stick with the design of the G5 which wasn't quite impressive in my opinion, and if they proceed with the implementation of removable batteries. 

I'd now like to dwell upon modular phones as a whole. The more I dwell on the idea of having a modular phone the more I become excited though through the process flaws show up and its biggest one is the simple fact that these phones won't earn the manufacturer's as much money as they would with more conventional designs. Sure there will be tons of people buying modules but most of those people will probably hold on to the modules they purchased and wait for a while before even considering buying new ones. Another more pressing problem is the price and implementation of the modules themselves as of now with prices that look like a sore thumb during payment. Looks like Motorola is the only one left in the mainstream market that has yet to announce its direction moving forward though at this point it seems as if they will join LG in this one.

(to be continued, if companies ever actually continue) 

Source: The Verge

I think the LG modular idea wasnt good, but I like the motorola path, and I'm sad to see Ara go cause it was an amazing idea, especially cause it could eliminate alot of waste.

45 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I think the LG modular idea wasnt good, but I like the motorola path, and I'm sad to see Ara go cause it was an amazing idea, especially cause it could eliminate alot of waste.

The g5 modularity isn't, but I love the camera on it, and its so fast to change the battery (press the button on the side, and slide it out). The other reason that recently made me find this phone amazing is how easy it is to repair the phone if anything gets broken in it. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

as long as they keep removable battery and memory expansion, i could care less about what they do with their next device. They already have 2 biggest pluses they can offer

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just for clarity this article is talking about modular accessories and not removable/replaceable batteries and such. I mention this because LG is one of the few companies that hasn't completely shifted into making one piece phones with proprietary, non user replaceable parts. I've had my G3 for nearly three years and it's in perfect condition solely because any time I dropped it in water or cracked the screen I can cheaply and easily replace just about every part of the device.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Color me surprised.

54 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

yeah i mean many screens are good enough for years the S6 1440p amoled screen is comming up on 2 years old in april and you cant complain about it but wouldnt be bad to upgrade maybe the proccesor with the next snapdragon and ram? thats where it was intresting but i never saw it honestly being the future overall.  Smartphones have gotten so well rounded recently theres not much you wish was better in a flagship 

9 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

The g5 modularity isn't, but I love the camera on it, and its so fast to change the battery (press the button on the side, and slide it out). The other reason that recently made me find this phone amazing is how easy it is to repair the phone if anything gets broken in it. 

Yea I never said it wasn't a good phone, in fact I think it's an amazing phone! I just dont like their approach on modularity, or atleast the direction they went with their approach.

5 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

yeah i mean many screens are good enough for years the S6 1440p amoled screen is comming up on 2 years old in april and you cant complain about it but wouldnt be bad to upgrade maybe the proccesor with the next snapdragon and ram? thats where it was intresting but i never saw it honestly being the future overall.  Smartphones have gotten so well rounded recently theres not much you wish was better in a flagship 

Yea I guess but it's still a good idea cause what if you care about a big battery and dont care about the phone being thick (me) then you can do that, or want front facing speakers, or want to solely only pay for the parts that you really want and dont care about like a camera, waterproofing, front facing speakers, etc. ITs just more customizable and you dont have to compromise, but thats more of a first world problem but it would make a customizable software have customizable hardware :b

1 hour ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Yea I never said it wasn't a good phone, in fact I think it's an amazing phone! I just dont like their approach on modularity, or atleast the direction they went with their approach.

I read your post wrong. But i just find it very annoying how most reviews of the phone are not positive even though its quite on par with many other flag ships. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

The worst part is that LG could easily have fixed the modular thing and kept the modular design with removable battery.

Just add a smaller integrated battery and have a larger removable battery with a preference for draining the latter. Hot swappable batteries and hot swappable modules. Done. Problem solved. LG, give me my duffel bag full of cash now.

* barring any patent issues.

And yes, the Moto line is probably still the better design for actual modules but those don't have removable batteries.

It would never take off with current technology. Modularity is fine in something like a big PC where space is a non-issue but something like a smartphone where space is precious requires precision and optimization.

Modular cell phones never made much sense to me. Most people don't even know what's in their phones now, they wouldn't want to bother learning about which modules they should pick or what would benefit them. We're probably a good 10 to 15 years before the majority of the buying public might be enough savvy to understand the benefits. By then, technology will be so far ahead that modular components won't be viable.

While I understand why they ditched the modules, it sucks for those who bought the phone when LG was saying it'd be supported on the next model as well. They'll likely lose even more market share. That, and their boot loop issues are really digging a deep pit for LG.

LG also failed in the module department. The camera grip apparently wasn't that great feeling, plus it added little. The audio module was neat, but wasn't available in every market. Moreover, when you can get the same stuff incorporated into other flagship phones...why buy modules you have to change? Once you add the price of the modules in, you can easily buy a phone that is thin, has everything incorporated, and has other features the G5 lacks.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

as long as they keep removable battery and memory expansion, i could care less about what they do with their next device. They already have 2 biggest pluses they can offer

Well technically speaking,  a lot of phones with "non removable batteries"  can have their batteries replaced.  You just need to know your way around a toolbox,  soldering iron and heat gun

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Well when they don't market the new product much at all....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

modular phones suffer basically from " we got no idea on what the hell to do for said phone."  Or  " We got some half-assed modular idea for the phone" 

Modular phones should have a base size. For example, they have just their own little screen and self-battery and nothing else, then have attachments to be applied to work with them. Like Project Ara, it looked a very cool concept and actually made a lot of sense, but then they changed the way it was going to work. 

A modular phone should have the modularity not affect with the original base phone itself and allow easily/seamless swapping of the modular parts. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Well technically speaking,  a lot of phones with "non removable batteries"  can have their batteries replaced.  You just need to know your way around a toolbox,  soldering iron and heat gun

yeah, let's do that every time you run out of juice lel

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

yeah, let's do that every time you run out of juice lel

Not what i meant.  Just a way to replace it when the battery dies out from too many charge cycles.  Aside from that,  i see where you are coming from,  but why not use a battery bank? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Not what i meant.  Just a way to replace it when the battery dies out from too many charge cycles.  Aside from that,  i see where you are coming from,  but why not use a battery bank? 

why be tethered to a battery for 45 minutes when i can just waste 1 minute to swap batteries. 

Battery banks are nice... if i'm in lab and i just leave my phone in the backpack charging, but when i'm on the go, on the train, using the phone and see it at 10%, swaping the battery and not have to worry about adding strain the usb port is the reason why i prefer phones with removable batteries 

4 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Yes cause you are out and about and your phone battery runs out so you whip out your heat gun and soldering iron. Lol

I don't think it was the idea that was bad, but the implementation, and I'll still give them credit for that. 

16 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I too hope LG sticks to removable battery. G5 is pretty ugly and still 3000mAh. I want my next phone to last. Is that too much to ask for? 

It also has a lot to do with optimization. Look at how iPhone 6S can outlast most phones out there with much, much larger batteries. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

39 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I want a phone that can get back to full charge in a jiffy, and won't become a paperweight after 2 years of use. 

Well I am more than satisfied with my G2. I am looking for an upgrade this year, but my god it is aging well. That Snap 800 really is the shit. And it charges pretty fast as well. It may not have QC2 or anything never, but it's quite fast regardless. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

23 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I too hope LG sticks to removable battery. G5 is pretty ugly and still 3000mAh. I want my next phone to last. Is that too much to ask for? 

Latest G6 rumors state we may lose the removable battery.

The best rumor we have so far is from Android Police journalist David Ruddock, who posted the following to Twitter: "Source: LG G6 will not have a removable battery, LG will move to an all-glass design language similar to Samsung. Headphone jack is a go."
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/lg-g6-release-date-specs-rumours-and-price-explained#TFbhq8kdZUvWtfOX.99

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

30 minutes ago, No Nrg said:

Latest G6 rumors state we may lose the removable battery.

i'll wait and see, last year they said the same for the G5 when it was rumoured to be an all metal phone. And frankly i think it's not impossible to make an all glass phone phone with removable battery

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'll wait and see, last year they said the same for the G5 when it was rumoured to be an all metal phone. And frankly i think it's not impossible to make an all glass phone phone with removable battery

For sure, obviously still the rumor mill, so take with a spoonful of sea salt

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP