What headphones are you using?

Craftsman_2222
1 minute ago, nathanmaddux said:

with greater volume comes more detail that i couldn't hear as clearly when they didnt have an amp. i guess thats what im saying. thats why i say its relative. i also compose and create sounds from scratch with synthesizers. 

I would have agreed with you 100% two years (or more) ago until I ventured out into more headphones than just my HD280s. Louder doesn't mean more detail. Well mixed and mastered music for example is what will matter the most.

Also, what synth do you use? I'm going to be dropping the cash for a Korg MS20 pretty soon.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I would have agreed with you 100% two years (or more) ago until I ventured out into more headphones than just my HD280s. Louder doesn't mean more detail. Well mixed and mastered music for example is what will matter the most.

Also, what synth do you use? I'm going to be dropping the cash for a Korg MS20 pretty soon.

well i plan on going modular at some point. but right now i use a soft synth called serum. its excellent!  i love it! i do understand the nature of analog and people opinions on analog vs digital. but for now software is meeting alot of my needs. i find it to be more flexibleon the fly. analog can get expensive fast. ultimately has the best quality and character but def expensive. im just thinking how i can reproduce some of the things i create in serum into an anolog form. haha my modular grid plans are def expensive. haha. well see how far i get. but im honestly very happy with serum rn. 

1 minute ago, nathanmaddux said:

well i plan on going modular at some point. but right now i use a soft synth called serum. its excellent!  i love it! i do understand the nature of analog and people opinions on analog vs digital. but for now software is meeting alot of my needs. i find it to be more flexibleon the fly. analog can get expensive fast. ultimately has the best quality and character but def expensive. im just thinking how i can reproduce some of the things i create in serum into an anolog form. haha my modular grid plans are def expensive. haha. well see how far i get. but im honestly very happy with serum rn. 

A guy I work with uses Reason with a midi keyboard. I was personally thinking about splurging on a FL Studio package but with what I specifically want, it would come out to be just as much as the Korg, so I figured I may as well get the Korg since I like having the real thing. Lol

19 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

A guy I work with uses Reason with a midi keyboard. I was personally thinking about splurging on a FL Studio package but with what I specifically want, it would come out to be just as much as the Korg, so I figured I may as well get the Korg since I like having the real thing. Lol

yeah it comes down to what your prefer. analog just has that character especially if you grew up with a synth. my problem is that while they sound great the prebuilt ones can be limited. and thats why i think modular is coming back. i currently use ableton live 9. honestly would skip the nicest version and just get the mid level package. because i end up using fab filters for compression, eq, limiting, more. i used abletons stock audio effects racks for years but fab filters is def worth the money. it comes very close to really nice studio hardware. the fab filter compressor is thought of as the best peice of software in for the price in the entire industry haha.  i just really like ableton for the gui. before i went modular i planned on trying out reaktor which seems to mimic the concepts of routing pretty well. i would recommend it if you felt limited with your korg. i started out like most in fl studio but def liked ableton more. 

49 minutes ago, nathanmaddux said:

yeah it comes down to what your prefer. analog just has that character especially if you grew up with a synth. my problem is that while they sound great the prebuilt ones can be limited. and thats why i think modular is coming back. i currently use ableton live 9. honestly would skip the nicest version and just get the mid level package. because i end up using fab filters for compression, eq, limiting, more. i used abletons stock audio effects racks for years but fab filters is def worth the money. it comes very close to really nice studio hardware. the fab filter compressor is thought of as the best peice of software in for the price in the entire industry haha. and i agree with my experience. i just really like ableton for the gui. before i went modular i planned on trying out reaktor which seems to mimic the concepts of routing pretty well. i would recommend it if you felt limited with your korg. i started out like most in fl studio but def liked ableton more. 

This particular Korg has a ton of knobs and then a custom patching system which is really cool and opens up a lot of options like using guitar pedals to modify the synth.