What headphones are you using?

Craftsman_2222
3 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

They will get loud enough, I wouldn't recommend it though.

i don't follow you on the latter half of this sentence. do you mean i shouldn't get a dac and amp for the 650? 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

i don't follow you on the latter half of this sentence. do you mean i shouldn't get a dac and amp for the 650? 

I wouldn't recommend running it off a phone.  You can, they will get loud enough, but I would at the very least recommend a basic USB powered unit like the Fulla 2.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

32 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Do those make you want to touch yourself or are they just alright?

lol what? 

But, they do sound pretty good IMO

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1 hour ago, Technicolors said:

do you need an AMP and dac to power the 650? also needed for mobile phone? 

Depends on the phone, but the HD 650 is pretty sensitive so it should get loud enough from most phones.

This isn't a good mobile headphone, though, due to the cable length, open back, and size.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:23 AM, SSL said:

Pretty positive. The dynamics and impact are on another level. Amazingly cohesive sound signature; maybe a tad much mid-bass but that's recording dependent. No veil whatsoever; these are probably the most revealing headphones I've had yet and that's without a stupid amount of treble. Tons of top-end extension, though. At some point I'll need to do another mp3 vs flac comparison to see if I can pick out differences beyond 224 kbps. These headphones need top-quality material to show what they are capable of, meaning well-mastered music with tons of detail. Highly processed, dynamically compressed music is enjoyable, but clearly not taking advantage of the resolving capabilities of the headphone.

My only real complaints are again the amount of mid-bass - moving the resonant frequency of the driver down on octave would probably be perfect - and the relative lack of soundstage. Imaging is pretty good, but even the HE-560 feels more spacious. If I'm being really picky, there is a slight emphasis, maybe in the 5-6 kHz range, that could be toned down like a decibel or two.

The best thing about them is how dynamic they are, though. The smooth signature and low distortion means it's possible to crank the volume without listening fatigue or having the drivers shit the bed, and then OH BOY. I'm veeery interested to try these with an upgraded amp.

ifyouwantevenmoredynamicnessgetnfb11

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

HyperX cloud 2's when I'm sitting in front of my computer and CBA unplugging them or playing a game

Beryerdynamic custom one pros when travelling (in a plane or a long car/coach journey) and listening to music at home. 

If you care, sennheiser MM30G IEMs when I'm 'travelling' (as in walking to school, going into town ect.) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

PXC 550 when I'm moving around in the house or outside. OB-1 for when watching movies in front of the pc. SE215 when I'm in bed because it's comfortable.

Using some Apple Earbuds now.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I use a pair of TurtleBeach Earforce X11's because they were only £6 at CEX. Plus they have a stupendously long audio cable which is great for using with my controller in games.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Philips Fidelio x2 

I like them a lot, they are comfy, can use it for hours at a time, great sound (little bit bassy compared to "neutral"). Buildquality Is great.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

senn hd650 are my go to aside from my studio monitors. they have the best clarity and dont give the claustrophobic/ear fatigue that closed back cans give me. you just need an amp that will drive the 300ohm impedance if you dont already have one.

but i also just bought the beyer dt770 80ohm closed can. they are nice and have a more noticeable low end compared to the hd650s. possibly becasue they are closed back. i wouldn't say the bass is better because i think the hd650s sound more flat and accurate.. but i still like them for the purpose of wanting a closed back can. if you listen to dubstep then these are for you. compared to the hd 650s their high frequencies didnt sound as bright and thats why i favor the hd650s. but overall they seemed good enough for listening. im wondering if i had bought the higher impedance versions would they have sounded better? idk maybe. the hd 650s certainly sounded flatter. 

but if im really trying to master something i resort to my studio monitors and sub. 

1 hour ago, nathanmaddux said:

you just need an amp that will drive the 300ohm impedance if you dont already have one.

Not at all. The HD 650 is sensitive enough to be driven from most devices with a decent audio out - so most computers and phones made in the last several years. Also, impedance isn't "driven".

That's not to say a good amp can't improve things, but not having ones isn't a good reason to pass these headphones by.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Not at all. The HD 650 is sensitive enough to be driven from most devices with a decent audio out - so most computers and phones made in the last several years. Also, impedance isn't "driven".

That's not to say a good amp can't improve things, but not having ones isn't a good reason to pass these headphones by.

i used the hd650s in my iphones and my macbook pro and they didnt sound as good. yes they worked but your not getting the result they were sdesigned for.  i could honestly say they werent worth what i payed for them until i amplified them. all the detail was more distinguishable with the amp. 300ohm headphones need an amp. 

Just now, nathanmaddux said:

i used the hd650s in my iphones and my macbook pro and they didnt sound as good. yes they worked but your not getting the result they were sdesigned for.  i could honestly say they werent worth what i payed for them until i amplified them. all the detail was more distinguishable with the amp. 300ohm headphones need an amp. 

Never said they would sound "as" good as with an amp, just that they would sound good. Which they do.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Never said they would sound "as" good as with an amp, just that they would sound good. Which they do.

maybe its just my personal preference then. if i pay good money for headphones i want them to sound their best. because thats how they were tested in the factory. the 80ohm beyers i mentioned certainly could pass without an amp and i have tried them in the dac i have and the iphone and macbook and they didnt have much difference. 

maybe its just my personal preference then. if i pay good money for headphones i want them to sound their best. because thats how they were tested in the factory. the 80ohm beyers i mentioned certainly could pass without an amp and i have tried them in the dac i have and the iphone and macbook and they didnt have much difference. 

Well I hate to break it to you, but you probably aren't hearing the HD 650 at their best unless you have a megabuck tube amp.

What's the phrase the kids like to use? Oh yeah, "full potential".

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Well I hate to break it to you, but you probably aren't hearing the HD 650 at their best unless you have a megabuck tube amp.

What's the phrase the kids like to use? Oh yeah, "full potential".

well i guess its all relative. because connecting them to the dac i had made them that much better imo. but how much of a difference will a really expensive tube amp bring? maybe a little bit more warmth. they are accurate enough for me. amps are really cheap (as cheap as 15 dollars) and they go a long way especially for the higher ohm impedance. im just using a 150 dollar dac because i connect my jbl monitors to and they create damn close to professional quality for the price. if i didnt use the dac i wouldnt be able to hear half the details in the hd650. 

but how much of a difference will a really expensive tube amp bring? maybe a little bit more warmth.

Not at all.

2 minutes ago, nathanmaddux said:

if i didnt use the dac i wouldnt be able to hear half the details in the hd650. 

I disagree. I just plugged my HD650s into my Pixel XL (which doesn't have a strong amp at all) and I can hear everything just fine. Granted I have the volume turned all of the way up and it's not even getting at my usual volume level that I use on my desktop amp, and the sound stage doesn't feel quite as wide, but everything is coming through just fine.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I disagree. I just plugged my HD650s into my Pixel XL (which doesn't have a strong amp at all) and I can hear everything just fine. Granted I have the volume turned all of the way up and it's not even getting at my usual volume level that I use on my desktop amp, and the sound stage doesn't feel quite as wide, but everything is coming through just fine.

lol exactly, your volume is all the way up! thats why you need an amp. thats why i say they are much better with an amp. its all relative. depends on what your doing with them. some people dont care. some people do. thats all.

1 minute ago, nathanmaddux said:

lol exactly, your volume is all the way up! thats why you need an amp. thats why i say they are much better with an amp. its all relative. depends on what your doing with them. some people dont care. some people do. thats all.

I compose music and I listen to music a lot as a hobby, so I know when details are missing. The only things that are missing is the volume and the "wider sound stage" (don't know how else to describe it). Is that what you're meaning by "details"? If so you should choose to say that differently, because that makes it sound like something isn't coming through in the mix that would normally be there.

9 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I compose music and I listen to music a lot as a hobby, so I know when details are missing. The only things that are missing is the volume and the "wider sound stage" (don't know how else to describe it). Is that what you're meaning by "details"? If so you should choose to say that differently, because that makes it sound like something isn't coming through in the mix that would normally be there.

with greater volume comes more detail that i couldn't hear as clearly when they didnt have an amp. i guess thats what im saying. thats why i say its relative because most people are "listeners". i also compose and create sounds from scratch with synthesizers. i guess for me the volume and wide stage made a huge difference in my results.