So I just got a PS4...

mckrackin5324

Congratulations on your purchase, and sorry that you feel like games for your new console are too expensive.

Out of love for numbers, I did some math with my Xbox One library. For I am lazy, it doesn't include games from sites like Kinguin (they sell console games too) or promotional free copies.

This compilation holds 94 titles acquired over 15 months. 60 from GwG, 16 digital copies purchased from Microsoft and 18 physical discs. Average cost is 25.35 euros for a physical copy, 9.99 euros for a digital copy and 0.72 euros for a GwG title. All combined the average price is 7.01 euros per title. Individual prices range from 53.90 to 2.37 euros (GwG excluded).

I prefer physical discs for consoles over digital copies for security and resell value, so I'm happy to pay a little extra for a good game. Sometimes that's simply not possible, which is why just two digital copies make up 25% of the total cost, and 75% of my digital copies are 10 euros or less.

You can find console games for cheap if you know how to find them.

I nabbed a brand new Ratchet and Clank for $10 bucks at Gamestop (holiday sale special)

Shadow of Mordor used $9.  Batman Arkham Knight for $16 used. Need for Speed for $25.

The nice thing with physical console games.  You can play them, finish the game, and then trade them in for money towards the next game.  That how I actually have my current PS4 games.  I did not pay a dime on them.  Store credit from previous games I traded in.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Part of the reason why PC games are generally cheaper is because there is no used market for PC games. You can't go on steam and scroll through the used game section because there isn't one. Any game you get on PC, dodgy key sites excluded, is you paying the people who made that game available directly. Not so with console games. With console games a non-trivial percentage of purchases are for used games. That's money that doesn't go to the developer, publisher or platform holder. Which in turn means less money that can be made per game sold. So what do they do in response? They charge more and don't reduce the prices as aggressively. That's the first part of it.

The second difference is that with PC games there aren't really physical copies of games and there aren't really defined generations. There isn't competition between generations. For example when the Nintendo Switch comes out with its versions of Splatoon and Mario Kart people who want those games on the Switch will have no option but to buy those new versions. Regardless of how little has changed they can charge the full new release price because that's your only option. On PC the previous version would be in the same search results. Why buy the buggy PC version of Arkham Knight for full retail when you haven't played Arkham City and it's currently $5?

But even so there are still deals on consoles. Digital stores still have sales for consoles even if they're not as aggressive as they are on PC. There's the used market as previously mentioned which does inflate the prices of new games but is still a cheaper option. And there are still the annualised releases which still have their prices crash because there is basically no resale value. And they are still in competition with PC so the prices don't usually go too crazy. But in general? Consoles are more expensive.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

On 1/4/2017 at 5:25 PM, mckrackin5324 said:

-snip-

they dont make much of any profit on the console itself. they're banking on you purchasing games, and online services, and addons. the money is made on that, not the system itself.

Multiple reasons.

Consoles are sold at a loss

Games need to be licensed to work on a console so basically the console manufacturers are getting a cut of sales, this isnt a factor on PC in some cases or is less of one.

Retail chain

Lastly the used market eats up a TON of new sales, and cuts into the profit devs and publishers get from each title sold. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

On 4.1.2017 at 11:25 PM, mckrackin5324 said:

I want to know. Why are the console games so much more expensive when the console itself is priced so high?

Because Peasants are easy to fool. But hey, like you said. Consoles are so much cheaper..muhaha xD

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

16 hours ago, Praesi said:

Because Peasants are easy to fool. But hey, like you said. Consoles are so much cheaper..muhaha xD

It probably has a lot to do with how easy it is to pirate on PC vs console right now. Every game that got major discounts on the last steam sale other than Just Cause 3 is cracked and freely downloadable.

On 1/5/2017 at 1:34 PM, mckrackin5324 said:

I just don't understand why console games are regularly double the price

On 1/5/2017 at 2:20 PM, kirashi said:

Because they sell the hardware at a "loss" and make up for it in the Games, Controllers, and all other accessories.

google the video game crash of the '80s to understand why there are licensing & higher game prices with consoles. there is also a documentary on youtube about the ET game that explains it. its got nothing to do with selling hardware at a loss, its about controlling the software ecosystem and maximising profits. they do have amazing markup on accessories but they definitely do not sell consoles cheaper than OEM prices on hardware

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It probably has a lot to do with how easy it is to pirate on PC vs console right now. Every game that got major discounts on the last steam sale other than Just Cause 3 is cracked and freely downloadable.

Most People i know buy their Games, i doubt piracy has anything to do with with the behaviour of Console Publishers/Devs.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

its got nothing to do with selling hardware at a loss, its about controlling the software ecosystem and maximising profits. they do have amazing markup on accessories but they definitely do not sell consoles cheaper than OEM prices on hardware

They control the ecosystem by selling things at the prices they set - this is literally how manufacturers make us consumers overpay. However, I should have clarified that they "sell console hardware at a loss" because that's how they market it. Manufacturer's most definitely do not actually lose money on hardware sales, but they like us to believe they do so they can justify charging way too much for the accessories and games we buy after the fact. It's rather sick really (I'm cynical as all can be toward corporations, so take my opinion with a grain of salt), but then again, that's sort of the definition of how for-profit companies work.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

They control the ecosystem by selling things at the prices they set - this is literally how manufacturers make us consumers overpay. However, I should have clarified that they "sell console hardware at a loss" because they market things like this. Manufacturer's most definitely do not actually lose money on hardware sales, but they like us to believe they do so they can justify charging way too much for the accessories and games we buy after the fact. It's rather sick really (I'm cynical as all can be toward corporations, so take my opinion with a grain of salt), but then again, that's sort of the definition of how for-profit companies work.

i have not seen any marketing where they market consoles as more cost effective for the consumer. most marketing is on game exclusives. for example destiny on ps4 has ps4 only content. there is no such thing as overpaying if the retail prices and retailer margins are tight, there is only a sales strategy to provide a return investors/share holders. pepsi in NZ sells at 1/2 the price of coke; does this mean you are over paying? no you are buying a commercial product with a business model that involves heavy investment in branding and advertising.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 1/4/2017 at 5:25 PM, mckrackin5324 said:

-snip-

This is a serious question. Not trolling.

I want to know. Why are the console games so much more expensive when the console itself is priced so high?

licensing is part of it. the console itself is sold near production value (banking on you buying games and online service for the profit), packaging, shipping, and being a physical media is most of the rest of it. and if a pc guy wants a game and the price tag is too high, there are PLENTY of 3rd party sites that will have keys at a discount.

4 hours ago, lettuce head said:

if a pc guy wants a game and the price tag is too high, there are PLENTY of 3rd party sites that will have keys at a discount.

And plenty of places to get the games for free.

Yo add me.

Almighty_Doge. We should play destiny sometime

Breaking things 1 day at a time

On 12.1.2017 at 5:52 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

And plenty of places to get the games for free.

Only Assholes pirate these Days.

Not that I'm condoning pirating. But buying from G2A is even more chickenshit since it costs the studios actual money in the form of chargebacks when some dickhead uses a stolen credit card to buy keys and sell them on G2A. So piracy is less shitty then using key resellers.

7 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Not that I'm condoning pirating. But buying from G2A is even more chickenshit since it costs the studios actual money in the form of chargebacks when some dickhead uses a stolen credit card to buy keys and sell them on G2A. So piracy is less shitty then using key resellers.

*yaaaawn*

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Best post I have ever read from you tbh

And that was the last one i read from you. Life is to short to waste time with you.

27 minutes ago, Praesi said:

And that was the last one i read from you. Life is to short to waste time with you.

And then you went back to posting shit again