So I just got a PS4...

mckrackin5324

The news of The Last of Us Part 2 made me run out and buy a Playstation.

I looked at the Pro and the 8 core AMDs and decided the "older" PS4 is what suited me.

My question is this...

The new consoles are not cheap. The PS4 Pro price rivals a really good gaming PC in price. I'm basing that on a GTX 1060 central build.

So what justifies the price of the games on console?

All these $60 games in the Playstation Store are on my PC and I gave under $5 for a LOT of them.

This is a serious question. Not trolling.

I want to know. Why are the console games so much more expensive when the console itself is priced so high?

iirc licensing a game for a console is significantly more expensive than licensing for PC. 

Also the Playstation store is overpriced AF

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

why would anyone buy a playstation, or a nintendo switch? exclusives. 

honestly you should have gotten a ps4 pro. even if you may not have a 4K TV there is a noticeable improvement in PS4 Pro-supported titles. though it's not the end of the world that you've bought a vanilla ps4. 

and psn sales are getting there. for example FFXV and the last guardian received a surprisingly hefty price cut during the holidays. 

16 minutes ago, mckrackin5324 said:

The news of The Last of Us Part 2 made me run out and buy a Playstation.

I looked at the Pro and the 8 core AMDs and decided the "older" PS4 is what suited me.

My question is this...

The new consoles are not cheap. The PS4 Pro price rivals a really good gaming PC in price. I'm basing that on a GTX 1060 central build.

I beg to differ:

While licensing may be part of it, development costs are a huge part of it. Marketing eats up a ton of money. Voice actors act like they're on the same level as A-List Hollywood celebrities. Competent software developers aren't cheap.

All these $60 games in the Playstation Store are on my PC and I gave under $5 for a LOT of them.

Going on G2A doesn't count.

I want to know. Why are the console games so much more expensive when the console itself is priced so high?

Because that's always been the model: sell the hardware at a loss and profit from software sales. Any company that tried to do the opposite (except Nintendo) has failed miserably.

ps4 are cool but not even close to a 1060 i have a older ps4, i got it as a gift i usually use remote play with vita. 

Probably because of the practicality of having a console and a controller opposed to a computer which is a lot more work and a lot more complicated. You don't need knowledge to have a PS4, it'll do just as everyone else's, but that's not the same at all with PC's (overclocking and just choosing components in general). Also it's a family friendly advice, but that's all I can think of

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you have just described why i have sold my ps4

ps4 is really good my parent use one as a media center, when i go home i sue the ps4 as a remote play for my vita. 

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I beg to differ:

While licensing may be part of it, development costs are a huge part of it. Marketing eats up a ton of money. Voice actors act like they're on the same level as A-List Hollywood celebrities. Competent software developers aren't cheap.

Going on G2A doesn't count.

Because that's always been the model: sell the hardware at a loss and profit from software sales. Any company that tried to do the opposite (except Nintendo) has failed miserably.

G2A?

But anyway...There are tons of games on console that are 500% cheaper on PC.

Dues Ex MK for example. $10 on PC vs $60 on console.

Saints Row IV is $60 on console and I paid $3 on PC.

Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I got the bundle for $10 on PC.

Mars War Logs and The Technomancer...$60 each on console and $2 MWL and $5 Technomancer on PC.

Star Wars Battlefront/Crysis 1,2 and 3/Battlefield 3 and 4/Dragon Age Inquisition/Mirrors Edge Catalyst and a host of others...free on PC with $5 subscription.

Just Cause 3 $5 on PC.

The Division $10 on PC.

The Steam sales just blow all consoles away as far as pricing.

PC games have developers,actors and everything else that consoles have.

19 minutes ago, mckrackin5324 said:

G2A?

But anyway...There are tons of games on console that are 500% cheaper on PC.

Dues Ex MK for example. $10 on PC vs $60 on console.

Saints Row IV is $60 on console and I paid $3 on PC.

Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I got the bundle for $10 on PC.

Mars War Logs and The Technomancer...$60 each on console and $2 MWL and $5 Technomancer on PC.

Star Wars Battlefront/Crysis 1,2 and 3/Battlefield 3 and 4/Dragon Age Inquisition/Mirrors Edge Catalyst and a host of others...free on PC with $5 subscription.

Just Cause 3 $5 on PC.

The Division $10 on PC.

The Steam sales just blow all consoles away as far as pricing.

PC games have developers,actors and everything else that consoles have.

• Humble Bundle does consoles.
  • PS+ gives you free games every month. I believe Xbox Live Gold does the same thing
  • EA Access is available for Xbox, which is the equivalent of Origin Access.
  • The PS store occasionally has flash sales that drop the price down of games to Steam levels
  • Amazon and Best Buy occasionally have sales on console games.
    • I can also get 20% any new game any time I want with Best Buy's Game Club. I purchased something like four games and the thing paid for itself. It was enough that I declined to buy BF1 or Titanfall 2 on Origin when it was 30% off because on top of the 20% off I get already, I have Best Buy credit. I can get those games cheaper than when Origin had it on sale any time I want (or at least until the credit expires).
  • And in general, I'm going to call most of your points BS because a lot of those games are not $60 on consoles for even the regular price and even something that's $60 now getting it for single digits on PC is unheard of unless you bought it from a gray market or something like the Humble Bundle.

And since you mentioned "sales": I can wait as long as I want for a game to go on sale to pay the price that I want. Game sales are not something exclusive to PC gaming and PC gaming does not have them more frequently.

Also Steam is now a heaping pile of crap. 40% of its games were released in the last year and you can bet your butt most of them were not anywhere near B quality.

1 hour ago, mckrackin5324 said:

I seriously, seriously doubt that.  Please prove me wrong, though.  I'd like to see a PC Part Picker build complete with name-brand components, an OS, mouse keyboard worth using, Wi-Fi, quality case, etc... all $400.  

1 hour ago, mckrackin5324 said:

Have you been to a Gamestop recently?  Have you seen all the cheap games?   Games for consoles drop in price, too.   If you haven't noticed, you just haven't been looking.   ... or looking long enough. 

Also, Steam is a heaping pile of steam because of the competition.  There are THOUSANDS of games in there.  Developers/publishers have to try to get their games noticed some how.   

22 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

I seriously, seriously doubt that.  Please prove me wrong, though.  I'd like to see a PC Part Picker build complete with name-brand components, an OS, mouse keyboard worth using, Wi-Fi, quality case, etc... all $400.  

Have you been to a Gamestop recently?  Have you seen all the cheap games?   Games for consoles drop in price, too.   If you haven't noticed, you just haven't been looking.   ... or looking long enough. 

Also, Steam is a heaping pile of steam because of the competition.  There are THOUSANDS of games in there.  Developers/publishers have to try to get their games noticed some how.   

Rivals does not equal the same.

But yeah...$80 for AMD 8320e CPU which is way more powerful than console.

$189 for a GTX 970 which is way more powerful than console.

And about another $300 to get them working.

$500-$700 for a PC that outperforms any console and your first three games makes them equals in price.

And why do you say quality case? To rival the chunk of plastic the consoles are in?

Thanks for the Game Stop tip though.

Their pre-owned stuff is a legit option...Except GTA 5 for $54 used. lol

If you buy a pre-owned game...how does activation work?

I know a lot of games with multiplayer can't be used more than once.

34 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And since you mentioned "sales": I can wait as long as I want for a game to go on sale to pay the price that I want. Game sales are not something exclusive to PC gaming and PC gaming does not have them more frequently.

No AAA console games are ever on sale for $2. Never.

PC game sales are all the time somewhere. I never give more than $20 for a PC game.

As for my use of sales...I was comparing Holiday sale prices.

PC was way less than half when both platforms were on sale.

Even if we omit sale prices...PC is way cheaper day to day.

I'm not trying to argue anyway. I just don't understand why console games are regularly double the price.

I could spend $2000 on a PC and after buying 50 games on each platform,I'd be money ahead on PC.

1 minute ago, mckrackin5324 said:

No AAA console games are ever on sale for $2. Never.

PC game sales are all the time somewhere. I never give more than $20 for a PC game.

As for my use of sales...I was comparing Holiday sale prices.

PC was way less than half when both platforms were on sale.

Even if we omit sale prices...PC is way cheaper day to day.

I'm not trying to argue anyway. I just don't understand why console games are regularly double the price.

I could spend $2000 on a PC and after buying 50 games on each platform,I'd be money ahead on PC.

Still calling BS on those prices you claimed to have gotten, I mean you're free to provide proof. There's always a console game sale somewhere too. And even if you omit sales price, console games are almost never "double the price" that you claim.

Regardless, the MSRP on games always drops. If you want to add in the waiting game, then that throws the whole argument of pricing out the window because again, I can simply wait for the price to get to where I want.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Still calling BS on those prices you claimed to have gotten, I mean you're free to provide proof. There's always a console game sale somewhere too. And even if you omit sales price, console games are almost never "double the price" that you claim.

Regardless, the MSRP on games always drops. If you want to add in the waiting game, then that throws the whole argument of pricing out the window because again, I can simply wait for the price to get to where I want.

Why would I need proof?

Game prices are not worthy of conspiracy.

I gave what I gave and at the time it was 3-5 times cheaper.

It is what it is...

7 minutes ago, mckrackin5324 said:

Why would I need proof?

Because you seem to have claims that other people disagree with.  You're a new console owner, and some other people have been in the game [pun intended] longer than you.   Duration notwithstanding, they're your claims, and it would appear the burden of proof is on you. 

Why would you buy a Playstation right now for The Last of Us Part II? That game probably won't be out any earlier than the Christmas 2018 season. The consoles aren't priced badly. I got my PS4 Slim with Uncharted 4 for $230 from newegg last month. I saw the XBox One S last month for like $225 with Battlefield 1, a second controller, and a $25 gift card. I imagine piracy and scam key resellers like G2A, Kinguin, etc are the main reasons why PC games are so cheap. The only game I saw on the Steam Winter Sale that got a big price cut and hasn't been cracked is Just Cause 3. PS4 games go down in price too. I bought all my games new and the most expensive one was Bloodborne for $18 from Walmart. I think I paid $10 for The Last of Us, $10 for Ratchet & Clank, $14 for God of War III, $16 for Uncharted Nathan Drake collection, and Uncharted 4 came with my system.

1 minute ago, TheBestUserName said:

Because you seem to have claims that other people disagree with.  You're a new console owner, and some other people have been in the game [pun intended] longer than you.   Duration notwithstanding, they're your claims, and it would appear the burden of proof is on you. 

Whatever.

Any PC gamer knows that Steam sales put their games at under $5 for weeks at a time. Very often.

I checked and Steam doesn't show anywhere what I paid and my banking statements wouldn't say what game I purchased.

So you guys just believe what you want.

I mean,just building my PC got me The Witcher 3,Batman Arkham Knight,Arkham City,Arkham Origins,Arkham Asylum,Arkham Blackgate,Rise of the Tomb Raider(even though I already had it) FREE

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Why would you buy a Playstation right now for The Last of Us Part II?

Also the Uncharted games.

Not to mention planning on The Division because I have friends on both platforms.

TLOU was just the last straw. lol

From what I have seen, after 3 months of owning a console - XB1 has many more sales Vs Playstation. Or, when somewhere (Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop) sells a game for discount, the xbox version is sometimes cheaper than the PS version. 

On consoles, you have fewer cheap indy games, or, games that are very very old and on sale. Howeverm again, XB1 is better at the older games, as it is backwards compatible with a growing list of games. 

But as someone with a steam library hundreds of games long - I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap I could get games for my XB1:

Battlefront: $5 (after using a $5 coupon)

Need for Speed: $12

Rayman Legends: $6.60

Rocket League: $12

Gears of War 4: $30
GOW 1-3 + Judgement Day: $10, or free with GOW4

Assassin's Creed Unity: $2.00

Assassin's Creed Black Flag: $10

Metro Redux: $6

Terraria: $4

Telltale Undead Survival Bundle: $20 
MGS:V : $12
Battleborn: $10

Fallout 4: Free with the purchase of controller

Fallout 3: Free with Fallout 4

Halo Master Chief Collection: $9
The Division: $15

Battlefield 1: Free with console.
Deathtrap: Free

Thief: Free

Sleeping Dogs: Free

Outlast: Free
Mirror's Edge: Free

Forza Horizon: Free

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I found it. I admit,I gave more for some of them than I remembered...

steam.PNG

Most of those refunds is because I got them cheaper somewhere else. lol

Still can't believe I pre-ordered The Technomancer. Face meet palm. hahaha

2 hours ago, mckrackin5324 said:

Why are the console games so much more expensive when the console itself is priced so high?

Because they sell the hardware at a "loss" and make up for it in the Games, Controllers, and all other accessories. IMO, charging $79 CAD for a Bluetooth controller is a crime, BUT people are willing to pay just over 1/3 the price of a new console for a single controller. Or, they're willing to pay for 1/2 the cost of a new console for a controller and one AAA game.

If you know where to shop, you definitely can get console games for $20 and $30 here and there, but for the most part they stay high priced until they're no longer selling well or easily available. That's the thing with digital-only platforms like Steam - because they're digital only, they never really have physical demand to worry about. Now, since PSN also sells games digitally, you'd think they'd follow suit, but then GameStop would be butthurt by all the cheaper prices online, close up shop, and we'd have NO OPTION to buy physical games. (whether this is bad or good is not part of this discussion - it's just a side effect.)

This is why I long for Nintendo's consoles, despite loving my PS4 regular for the same reasons you bought one (exclusives). Nintendo doesn't sell their consoles at a loss, since they're usually less powerful than Sony's or Microsoft's. That's because Nintendo focuses on the experience their games provide, especially the couch multiplayer gaming experience. When was the last time we could sit down with a Playstation or Xbox in the same room and have 4 people play together? Halo 3? Older Killzone games? Where as Nintendo still focuses on selling everything above cost by keeping costs low, and focusing on experiences.

Now, if only Nintendo's popularity and stock weren't sinking... :( 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

54 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Because they sell the hardware at a "loss" and make up for it in the Games, Controllers, and all other accessories. IMO, charging $79 CAD for a Bluetooth controller is a crime, BUT people are willing to pay just over 1/3 the price of a new console for a single controller. Or, they're willing to pay for 1/2 the cost of a new console for a controller and one AAA game.

If you know where to shop, you definitely can get console games for $20 and $30 here and there, but for the most part they stay high priced until they're no longer selling well or easily available. That's the thing with digital-only platforms like Steam - because they're digital only, they never really have physical demand to worry about. Now, since PSN also sells games digitally, you'd think they'd follow suit, but then GameStop would be butthurt by all the cheaper prices online, close up shop, and we'd have NO OPTION to buy physical games. (whether this is bad or good is not part of this discussion - it's just a side effect.)

This is why I long for Nintendo's consoles, despite loving my PS4 regular for the same reasons you bought one (exclusives). Nintendo doesn't sell their consoles at a loss, since they're usually less powerful than Sony's or Microsoft's. That's because Nintendo focuses on the experience their games provide, especially the couch multiplayer gaming experience. When was the last time we could sit down with a Playstation or Xbox in the same room and have 4 people play together? Halo 3? Older Killzone games? Where as Nintendo still focuses on selling everything above cost by keeping costs low, and focusing on experiences.

Now, if only Nintendo's popularity and stock weren't sinking... :( 

Thanks.