[Review] Is this worst RX 480 4GB ever? It is not... sadly

2 hours ago, CerberusLabrat said:

You do know that DVI stands for DIGITAL Video Interface, yeah?

Look at the box

21 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Look at the box

I know, but PowerColor probably thought they didn't need to specify DVI (Digital Video Interface) as a Digital port considering Digital is IN the name, while HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) and DisplayPort aren't obviously digital inputs going by the name.

Just overestimating the intelligence of the average user (in thinking that the average user will know what DVI stands for) while covering their ass.

On 5/30/2017 at 8:52 AM, CerberusLabrat said:

You do know that DVI stands for DIGITAL Video Interface, yeah?

DVI can be analog. Hence DVI-A. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

DVI can be analog. Hence DVI-A. 

Or DVI-I as that's both digital and analog :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

• 1 month later...

So anyone sell their budget card for $400+ yet? :D

• 1 month later...

For the first time in a while I've been "enjoying" this little card instead of testing it to death, and man, it's a pleasure.

My platform isn't so stable, it's old, Z77 chipset ASRock board, with an i7 3770 pulled from a Lenovo desktop from work.  Had to leave CPU at stock clocks, system started getting unstable after a while overclocked.

Still have the GPU overclocked to the 1350/2200 at stock voltage (auto) and it's purring along so nicely.

The Witcher 3 has my full attention lately, and this little card handles it very well with some settings turned down, and that hair shit completely off.

No stuttering just silky smooth gameplay, and temperatures never exceeding 65-67 degrees, and it's not too loud either.

This is all on my 1080P TV in the livingroom, on my couch with a controller.

Main rig is in the bedroom with a heftier setup for 1440P gaming.  (Ryzen 1700 & GTX 1070).

I haven't touched my main rig much lately, since I've been playing a shit tonne of The Witcher 3.  Starting to think 1080P gaming would've been just fine for me with the 480, or a pair of 480s, one for the bedroom one for the livingroom, but alas FPS gameplay I really prefer high frames & smooth mouse movement, and I can't do that with the 480.

Anyhoo' that's my update from this awesome budget card.  Still can't believe I only paid $200CAD for it (plus taxes of course, got my rebate in the mail though).  You'd be hard pressed to find a used one for this money, also knowing it performs the same as an 8GB card has me smiling even more. :D

Does a 1070 count as budget if you got it for $300 USD? :D I got it before the Etherium mining craze on ebay brand new hahaha. 

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

18 hours ago, ShampooCA said:

Whoa good find, how the hell

Its a FTW3 model too :D OC'd to 2100mhz like a champ

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

6 hours ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

Its a FTW3 model too :D OC'd to 2100mhz like a champ

wow damn. that's great. 

im not really sure about selling this card.

it has gone through so much. 

plus if someone finds this post about me rambling how shit it is...

On 8/14/2017 at 10:56 AM, MysticalRainXIV said:

Does a 1070 count as budget if you got it for $300 USD? :D I got it before the Etherium mining craze on ebay brand new hahaha. 

Does it count if before the mining craze, you could have got a 1070 for £200-230 in the UK used? :D 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Does it count if before the mining craze, you could have got a 1070 for £200-230 in the UK used? :D 

Now you can get a RX 400/500 for twice that money

25 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Now you can get a RX 400/500 for twice that money

Yep xD 

Ah well, still happy that I got my fury for £165 (or was it 170?) but sed that I sold my RX470 a third of the price of what it could have sold for a week or so later...

12 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Yep xD 

Ah well, still happy that I got my fury for £165 (or was it 170?) but sed that I sold my RX470 a third of the price of what it could have sold for a week or so later...

I feel ya, I really debated hard on whether to flip my card for a 1080ti but...I love my 1070 so much I was like, nahhhh

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

Yeah my Asus Strix GTX1070 is really good too, got screwed with the micron/hynix memory, I forget which, so it doesn't overclock the memory beyond 9000MHz like all the Samsung boys, but my core goes well beyond 2100MHz, and is consistently at 2088MHz and higher, so I'm happy with it. :)

Not as happy as my RX480 super card though LOL  Crazy, I know.

Just a heads up, I haven't had any luck with any drivers newer than 17.7.1, and I'm fine with that, because my card is buzzing along happily very stable @1350MHz/2200MHz using Afterburner 4.3 to overclock.

The new drivers after this and I have to use the newer beta versions of Afterburner 4.4 beta 15, and my clocks are not as stable using the latest 17.8.1, but the previous 17.7.2 I couldn't overclock at all, but I only tried with 4.3.

Also had some graphical anomalies in the witcher 3 re:gamma.  Gamma was stuck, couldn't change it, and my clocks were not stable at 1350MHz, the frequency would stay at or below the stock settings occasionally spiking to 1300MHz.  NOT GOOD.

So again, if you haven't checked out the newer drivers, don't, just stick with 17.7.1. :)