Help Choosing A Monitor

Sparky862

Okay, I am in need of a new monitor, and I have asked a few questions on the forums about monitors when it comes to G-Sync vs 144Hz. And I got mixed bags of answers on it, and I am still kind of in the dark here ....

I own a GTX 1070 G1 with a I7 3770k CPU. I currently have a 60Hz Monitor thats probably 10+ years old (No jokes here, it does not even have a HDMI port because it was not released back in the day)

I play most, if not all my games on Max settings all around on the 1080p monitor I currently own. And while I know it can only display 60FPS, if I disable V Sync, my FPS is well in the 80s - 90s FPS on the most demanding games I own for example

1. Witcher 3

2. The Division

3. Batman Arkham Knight

Other games I easily run over 100+ FPS ... with a few clocking in over 200 FPS

Now, if I were to get a G Sync over a normal 144Hz Monitor, would it be benificial considering I get at lowest about 80ish FPS on most demanding games at max settings on 1080p?? Or should I just go with a normal 144Hz monitor considering my FPS is already high enough as it is, and you wont notice the G Sync capability if I had to own a G Sync Monitor over a normal 144Hz Monitor??

If you guys would also be kind enough to assist me, I wont know which 1080p 144Hz Monitor to get because IPS has the most beautiful display from my understanding, but suffers a more Input Lag over a TN panel which has a worse display?? Does that input lag make a diff in FPS games like Overwatch, CS GO and such?? I am not a Hardcore FPS person, but I do like my FPS Genre games ...

I currently own a Acer V223HQ Monitor ....

If you play competitively, then go with a TN panel. If you don't play competitively, then an IPS panel should do just fine even in games. Personally, I think IPS is much better for basically everything. 

Just now, Turtlesaurusrex25 said:

If you play competitively, then go with a TN panel. If you don't play competitively, then an IPS panel should do just fine even in games. Personally, I think IPS is much better for basically everything. 

When you use the word "Competitively" ..... Do you mean as in Competitive modes like Overwatch and CS GO?? Or do you mean "competitively" as in sitting in front of my PC 24/7 playing FPS??

The new IPS gaming panels are excellent.  Input lag is incredibly low, and pixel response is very good - though still not quite as fast as a high end TN panel.

Gsync is always nice to have, but has diminishing returns at higher and higher refresh rates or FPS.

Are you planning to stick with 1080p?  Your system can handle 1440p.  I'm running a very similar setup and can easily do 80 to 100 FPS on BF1, settings maxed out at 1440p 165hz display.  Those displays are very expensive though.  

There are also some VA panels coming out that are designed for gaming.  A good resource for the newest displays is http://tftcentral.co.uk/

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

8 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

The new IPS gaming panels are excellent.  Input lag is incredibly low, and pixel response is very good - though still not quite as fast as a high end TN panel.

Gsync is always nice to have, but has diminishing returns at higher and higher refresh rates or FPS.

Are you planning to stick with 1080p?  Your system can handle 1440p.  I'm running a very similar setup and can easily do 80 to 100 FPS on BF1, settings maxed out at 1440p 165hz display.  Those displays are very expensive though.  

There are also some VA panels coming out that are designed for gaming.  A good resource for the newest displays is http://tftcentral.co.uk/

Well, 1080p is in my budget range. Going to 1440p, the monitors get to expensive for my taste. So I would like for a decent 1080p monitor

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 2:41 PM, Sparky862 said:

When you use the word "Competitively" ..... Do you mean as in Competitive modes like Overwatch and CS GO?? Or do you mean "competitively" as in sitting in front of my PC 24/7 playing FPS??

I mean that unless you play as part of a team that makes real money based on your wins and losses, you should really just go with a screen that looks nice and feels responsive. generally speaking, input lag from the display won't be the thing that gets you killed. If you want to improve your game performance, turn off "enhanced pointer precision"(also known as mouse acceleration), get a mouse that is accurate and low latency that has minimal or now acceleration(the logitech g900 chaos spectrum is an excellent choice), and get headphones with good directional audio. The display is really only an issue when it's a TV and it tries to artificially enhance the image quality because the image processing takes time and increases the time it takes for it to display an image.