PS3 IHS CPU/GPU Delid

flameprincess2000
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Maybe some new thermal paste, but don't bother delidding. You're taking great risks for okay gains. Not to mention it's up in the air whether or not the motherboard or heatsink likes the extra flex needed to clear the heat spreader gap.

Instructions on how to take it apart can be found at https://www.ifixit.com/Device/PlayStation_3_Slim

I just ordered a used PS3 Slim, and I've heard that they get really hot and such. People have said that the CPU/GPU need delided with new paste. Should I do this? How would I attach the IHS again? Thanks

Maybe some new thermal paste, but don't bother delidding. You're taking great risks for okay gains. Not to mention it's up in the air whether or not the motherboard or heatsink likes the extra flex needed to clear the heat spreader gap.

Instructions on how to take it apart can be found at https://www.ifixit.com/Device/PlayStation_3_Slim

51 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Have a look at this please~

https://flake.tweakblogs.net/blog/10754/mythbusting-the-truth-about-playstation-3-cooling

44 minutes ago, flameprincess2000 said:

Except I have a problem with that article, it didn't say what the before temperature was other than a value the author didn't feel confident in. And if the person did everything with the original PS3 phat model, the CPU and GPU were both 90nm and power hungry (the PSU was 380W). The slim model's initial release used a 45nm CPU and a 65nm GPU and has a 250W power supply. If you have a later slim model, then the GPU is 40nm, further reducing power consumption and thus heat generation.

Also towards the end when the author rants about consoles and how they used to be much better than PCs... Er, no. That was only true up until about the 5th generation. By the 6th generation, PC hardware was on par with console hardware within a year of release, if not at the time of release. And by 2005, you could get a GeForce 7800 GTX, which was more powerful than the RSX used in the PS3 (released a year later no less) and on par, if not better than, the Xenos GPU used in the Xbox 360 (I do recall running Oblivion much better on my gaming rig back then than what the Xbox 360 appeared to run it at )

Another point to pick at is the author uses anecdotal evidence to suggest consoles are crap. Uh. One person's failing PS4 does not mean the entire product lineup is crap. I had an OG PS4 that as far as I know continues to run fine (I sold it to my roommate). I have a PS3 Slim from 2010 that received regular use until about last year. It still runs fine. It also doesn't run like a leaf blower.

Anyway, that aside, while I'm not going to doubt that this person saw improvements replacing the thermal past and delidding, you have to read between the lines heavily before thinking this is something you must do.

49 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Except I have a problem with that article, it didn't say what the before temperature was other than a value the author didn't feel confident in. And if the person did everything with the original PS3 phat model, the CPU and GPU were both 90nm and power hungry (the PSU was 380W). The slim model's initial release used a 45nm CPU and a 65nm GPU and has a 250W power supply. If you have a later slim model, then the GPU is 40nm, further reducing power consumption and thus heat generation.

Also towards the end when the author rants about consoles and how they used to be much better than PCs... Er, no. That was only true up until about the 5th generation. By the 6th generation, PC hardware was on par with console hardware within a year of release, if not at the time of release. And by 2005, you could get a GeForce 7800 GTX, which was more powerful than the RSX used in the PS3 (released a year later no less) and on par, if not better than, the Xenos GPU used in the Xbox 360 (I do recall running Oblivion much better on my gaming rig back then than what the Xbox 360 appeared to run it at )

Another point to pick at is the author uses anecdotal evidence to suggest consoles are crap. Uh. One person's failing PS4 does not mean the entire product lineup is crap. I had an OG PS4 that as far as I know continues to run fine (I sold it to my roommate). I have a PS3 Slim from 2010 that received regular use until about last year. It still runs fine. It also doesn't run like a leaf blower.

Anyway, that aside, while I'm not going to doubt that this person saw improvements replacing the thermal past and delidding, you have to read between the lines heavily before thinking this is something you must do.

Wow, alright... You made a lot of great points, thanks for that.

Delidding is pointless then? I'm just afraid it will just randomly die on me from the paste being dried up under the gpu/cpu. I have no issues taking the thing apart, as it's similar to a PC in ways... but delidding scares me. I could either kill it, or keep it running for years on end. 

In theory, just replacing the thermal paste on the cpu/gpu without delidding, and it stays at a good temp.. say under 80C, that would mean the delidding isn't needed?

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't think it's pointless per se, but I don't think the risks are worth the benefit. At most replace the stuff on the heat spreader.

There's also this for some food for thought.

Thanks! This is what I was thinking, thank you! c:

• 1 year later...

Wrong. You WILL need to delid it. Unless you want the tempetures going up into the 70s and 80s. That's when bga balls crack becaue the chips just aren't transfering the heat the way it's suppose to be the chip just retains the heat and that's why bga balls start becoming brittle and weak.  It's normal though. The paste underneath the Integrated Heat Spreaders will dry out and create pockets that are empty of paste.

YOU do need to delid them. Paste on top of the IHS is NOT enough. AND you will get tempteuraes down even by 10c or 12c.

Without deliding them you will get 75c

If you reflowed the PS3 you are screwed because you just dried the paste even more expect temptures around 85 - 90c. DANGER

If you delid them and repaste every die including the IHS with some good thermal paste. You get a nice temp as reward - 55 - 65c

• 3 months later...

Just to give some details on this. 

I have a CECH 20xx ps3. It has Cfw on it and was over heating. About 1 minute after turning on it was hitting 85°C on the Cpu (Cell Chip on board) and Gpu was 59° (REX chip on board) and would shut down due to overheating. So I took it apart, cleaned all the dust out (Very little) and put new thermal paste on top of the heat spreader and new thermal pads. 

Waste of time. Same results. 

I had to De-lid the Cpu with a painters knife (workers extremely well) and put new thermal paste on. 

Temperature is 58°C now on Cpu and Gpu is the same because I didn't go near it. 

When delided don't scrape the silicone sealent off the chip base itself but clean it of the IHS and the new thermal paste will hold it in place fine if you are careful when putting it back together. 

Also for note there is no smd resistors on the Cpu So you don't have to worry about knocking one off when deliding but be careful not to scrape it as damaging the traces will break it. 

The thermal paste I used was MX-4 for under the IHS and on top off the IHS. 

Hope this helps someone.