Need help on router

PcBuilderNoob111

I have had the netgear dg834gv5  for ages (i cant even remember having a previous router) and i was wondering if it was worth/or it was time to get an upgrade. I have no clue what it would do for me but im hoping just improve the reliability of my wifi and maybe increase speed (even though i know that doesnt happen most of the time.

if ur gnna recommend i get a new router please reccomend me one preferably from an Australia friendly technolgy website :) 

thank you

What internet speed are you paying your ISP for? How many devices do you connect to it at a time?

On 1/3/2017 at 4:53 PM, PcBuilderNoob111 said:

snip

What is your budget for the router?

What features do you need?

5ghz support yes or no?

How many dhcp leases? (clients.)

What is your ISP speeds?

If you want a good reliable unit a PFSense box would be best.

6 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

What internet speed are you paying your ISP for? How many devices do you connect to it at a time?

I actually have no clue should i ring up and ask? my plan is very very very old. We have 1 computer with ethernet cord and then about 7 devices connected (usually most are idle).

5 minutes ago, BurningSmile said:

What is your budget for the router? What features do you need? 5ghz support yes or no?

budget for a router is around $100 AU and i need strong wifi signal for my house (since its weirdly layed out with multiple floors) and an ethernet port for my pc). Also no clue what 5Ghz  and what its meant to be supported on :( sorry.

*also i got liek a 20 mtre ethernet port connecting me to my moden and a really long phone line connecting my modem to the wall (aprox like 40 metres).

1 minute ago, PcBuilderNoob111 said:

I actually have no clue should i ring up and ask? my plan is very very very old.

budget for a router is around $100 AU and i need strong wifi signal for my house (since its weirdly layed out with multiple floors) and an ethernet port for my pc). Also no clue what 5Ghz  and what its meant to be supported on :( sorry.

*also i got liek a 20 mtre ethernet port connecting me to my moden and a really long phone line connecting my modem to the wall (aprox like 40 metres).

is it 50Mb/s or faster

16 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

is it 50Mb/s or faster

12mb/s :( its the fastest speed i can get in my area apparently because of copper connection in AUS

does that translate into real life like 1 mb/s downloading?

i called up and the service provider said my router was telling them it was on it's last leg whatever that means so RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE!!! preferable from MSY

if you have an old laptop it only costs around $40 for a new card with ac speed that you can use as a router. no outdated vulnerable firmware either. thats what i do

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, PcBuilderNoob111 said:

12mb/s :( its the fastest speed i can get in my area apparently because of copper connection in AUS

does that translate into real life like 1 mb/s downloading?

i called up and the service provider said my router was telling them it was on it's last leg whatever that means so RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE!!! preferable from MSY

do you want a router or a modem + router?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

do you want a router or a modem + router?

modem + router

1 minute ago, PcBuilderNoob111 said:

modem + router

your isp might give you one for free if you threaten to leave or you can get free one by changing isp

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

your isp might give you one for free if you threaten to leave or you can get free one by changing isp

i wanna stick to the plan because every mobile phone is connected to ti and its too much fo a hassle and i havent seen any better plans so just looking to buy a new one.