HP at CES 2017

jasonwj322a
2 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Smart cards are fairly popular. They're used by a lot of businesses and even the government to login to computers, or have "key card" access to doors. I have a combo key card (mag swipe) +  smart card (chip)  ID. I swipe to open doors and access parking structures, and other restricted area off limits to the public and insert the keycard portion to use certain devices. It has our photo IDs on them and other information. 

Here's an example: img-card-topology-front.pngimg-card-topology-back.png

I'm not  going to post mine for obvious reasons.  ;)

@Ryan_Vickers

I have one of those slots for my Military ID. Well I did when I had a use for it .... when I was still in.

Dell Keyboard we had at my unit (stock photo of course) - we also had laptops with the same slot for the same reason.

Dell_SKU_6317_PB.gifImage result for laptop with cac reader

*edit 

I considered posting my ID buuuut I would have to heavily Black out most of it and then there the possibility I would still get in trouble so I will suffice with the example posted by @ionbasa

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@Ryan_Vickers

I have one of those slots for my Military ID. Well I did when I had a use for it .... when I was still in.

Dell Keyboard we had at my unit (stock photo of course) - we also had laptops with the same slot for the same reason.

Dell_SKU_6317_PB.gifImage result for laptop with cac reader

*edit 

I considered posting my ID buuuut I would have to heavily Black out most of it and then there the possibility I would still get in trouble so I will suffice with the example posted by @ionbasa

I also have an USB smart card reader at home. It's the only way to access my email. PS: Army Corps of Engineers Intern at the moment. Will most likely transition to a full time position next year.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

7 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

I also have an USB smart card reader at home. It's the only way to access my email. PS: Army Corps of Engineers Intern at the moment. Will most likely transition to a full time position next year.

I considered doing that myself.... I was an Engineer all 12 years while in the Army but things are what they are. (I miss being in btw. :( )

I even bought one of these for my laptop. Made life easier for me during my time in. 

Image result for cac reader for laptopImage result for cac reader for laptop

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I considered doing that myself.... I was an Engineer all 12 years while in the Army but things are what they are. (I miss being in btw. :( )

I even bought one of these for my laptop. Made life easier for me during my time in. 

Image result for cac reader for laptopImage result for cac reader for laptop

Unfortunately, laptops don't have Expresscard slots anymore, so  I'm stuck with a USB reader, but it's not bad.

Side note:  

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And sounds kind of primitive to be honest. Why have I never seen his before?

It's actually not primitive, and is one of the more robust and secure solutions to managing logins. It's based off of PKI (Public Key Infrastructure). Windows has had native support since Windows 2000 for logins. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

3 hours ago, Notional said:

*snip*

I'm guessing there was a thread merge or something here?

Not terribly excited by the Omen X announcement. Unless I'm missing something, it's pretty similar to the the Acer Predator x34 or Asus ROG P348Q right down to the MSRP (and both of those monitors have gone on sale for $200 cheaper at times)

6 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Unfortunately, laptops don't have Expresscard slots anymore, so  I'm stuck with a USB reader, but it's not bad.

Side note:  

It's actually not primitive, and is one of the more robust and secure solutions to managing logins. It's based off of PKI (Public Key Infrastructure). Windows has had native support since Windows 2000 for logins. 

Yeah I know :(  my last laptop (ASUS G750) I had to use the USB version... BUt my Dell Inspiron 1750 I could use it in :) 

@Ryan_Vickers The premise is the same or close to that of what the Credit Card chip uses when making transactions. IIRC all connections are certificate based and the PKI can be set to either 256 or 512 bit encryption. Someone correct me please, I know I am missing something here.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

48 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah I know :(  my last laptop (ASUS G750) I had to use the USB version... BUt my Dell Inspiron 1750 I could use it in :) 

@Ryan_Vickers The premise is the same or close to that of what the Credit Card chip uses when making transactions. IIRC all connections are certificate based and the PKI can be set to either 256 or 512 bit encryption. Someone correct me please, I know I am missing something here.

Actually, I think it works with any non-symmetric key encryption, up to RSA-2048? It's all based on the X.509 standard. I believe it also can use AES256. 

EDIT:  Also  ECDSA

http://www.smartcardalliance.org/smart-cards-intro-standards/#federal-information-processing-standard-201-fips-201

25 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Actually, I think it works with any non-symmetric key encryption, up to RSA-2048? It's all based on the X.509 standard. I believe it also can use AES256. 

EDIT:  Also  ECDSA

http://www.smartcardalliance.org/smart-cards-intro-standards/#federal-information-processing-standard-201-fips-201

Yeah thats it, I forgot the RSA standard. It been a little while since I had to mess with it.

Thanks.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what is that long slot in the laptop?  Too small for a CD but way too big for and SD... plus there seems to be an SD reader beside it anyway

I think it is a vent hole, as it doesn't look like there is one elsewhere. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

6 hours ago, Imabigmac said:

I think it is a vent hole, as it doesn't look like there is one elsewhere. 

Smart card reader

20 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

Spectre x360 is getting a refresh and is going to be on preorder starting today. The surprising release for me is the Sprout Pro. Not surprising like I didn't know, just surprising that they are refteshing it after having it did so badly. Though it has been quite some time now.

What do you guys think? I personally am waiting for the Spectre.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/media-kits/2017/ces-launch.html

HP is one of the few manufacturers that make half descent laptops under $1000. As far as I'm aware, other then the XPS line and some lines of alienware laptops, Dell sucks. I really don't like their hybrid drives in laptops because hybrid drives suck. My experience with Dell is overheating laptops with slow drives. My only positive experience with laptops is with lenovo and HP.

From their website:

Security and Manageability with HP Sure Start Gen3 self-healing BIOS-level protection

Oh yes, BIOS-level protection on a laptop with a UEFI :P

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

2 hours ago, Randolph_Bubba said:

HP is one of the few manufacturers that make half descent laptops under $1000. As far as I'm aware, other then the XPS line and some lines of alienware laptops, Dell sucks. I really don't like their hybrid drives in laptops because hybrid drives suck. My experience with Dell is overheating laptops with slow drives. My only positive experience with laptops is with lenovo and HP.

Dell's Precision line is awesome. The Inspiron series are also great budget computers.