Core i7 7700k Confirmed Benchmarks- Zero IPC gains over Skylake

PCGamesen and Hardware Unboxed just released their reviews of the 7700k, and it has confirmed what most of us already knew: that Kaby Lake offers zero IPC boosts over Skylake. None, not even 1%. They ran both processors at 4.5ghz, and ran multiple tests, only to come to that very same conclusion:

As the name suggests, the 7700K is another K-series variant, which means it has an unlocked multiplier and, given the optimised process, we ought to hope the overclocking performance of the Kaby Lake generation has been boosted.

In reality though we're just getting a processor which maintains the previous generation’s dominance but is incapable of really pushing things any further.

As I said though, there are some slight tweaks. The main one being the change in base and Turbo clockspeeds. Out of the box the Core i7 7700K comes with a 4.2GHz base and 4.5GHz Turbo frequency. This is a function of Kaby Lake being an optimised version of the Skylake architecture’s 14nm design. Twelve months after then inaugural Skylake release Intel have been able to wring a little more performance out of the silicon with only a little extra energy required using small changes in the production process, now called 14nm+.

w0m1x1O.png

ggLvQeP.png

My thoughts on this? Well, I've been preaching this very same information on the forum for a few months now. We saw no reason to believe any IPC boosts back then, and now we have our confirmation. While it's disappointing for Desktop users (especially those that own Skylake chips already) it is still pretty exciting for mobile users. The more intelligent Turbo Boost will likely aid in battery life, and higher clocked SKU's with the same TDP envelope is always welcomed on platforms that traditionally do not allow overclocking. At the very least, we can look forward to Skylake-E with AVX512 on the horizon.

Source 1:http://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-core-i7-7700k-review-benchmarks

Source 2: 

EDIT: Additional source:

5 minutes ago, typographie said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10959/intel-launches-7th-generation-kaby-lake-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-i3-7350k/8

Anandtech ran them at 3 GHz and found the same. No IPC improvement.

What I find striking (aside from the K-series i3 that is) is the pricing model: Anandtech lists the i7-7700K for $305, i5-7600K for $217, and i3-7350K for just $157. All of those prices are well below the ~$260/$360 we usually see for unlocked i5's and i7's, and the i3-7350K is not drastically more expensive than previous i3's. Though obviously there's no way to know if they will actually be available for those prices any time soon.

Edit 2: More sources:

1 minute ago, typographie said:

In that case, here's PC Perspective and Tech Report if ya want them.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Review-Kaby-Lake-and-14nm

http://techreport.com/review/31179/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-cpu-reviewed

I'll add that PCPer seems to be reporting about the same prices that Skylake launched for, so I'm not sure where Anandtech picked up that $305 figure for the 7700K.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

To be fair, it's not like we were expecting any. Intel didn't state that Kaby Lake had any IPC gains over Skylake; only clock speed boosts due to a better 14nm process.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Inb4 @patrickjp93 has some nonsensical and stupid response that comes out to roughly "Working as intended. Intel 12/10."

Or the usual "It's the software. I'm a master coder, I can fix everything that everybody has done. Especially the people with drastically more knowledge and experience than I actually posses." 

Just now, DocSwag said:

To be fair, it's not like we were expecting any. Intel didn't state that Kaby Lake had any IPC gains over Skylake; only clock speed boosts due to a better 14nm process.

I know, I mentioned that in the post as well. Some very select people were making claims of 3-6%, but realistically, nobody believed them. This is only to serve as a confirmation to those that were still in doubt, or were worried about buying Skylake. 

Just now, MageTank said:

I know, I mentioned that in the post as well. Some very select people were making claims of 3-6%, but realistically, nobody believed them. This is only to serve as a confirmation to those that were still in doubt, or were worried about buying Skylake. 

Yeah, by the looks of it the difference is ~.2 ghz or so when overclocked. So 7700k is about 5% faster than the 6700k. Not really that impressive, honestly.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Higher power efficiency allows greater overclocking. And greater battery life in the mobile world.

No, I am not defending Intel. I am just saying the fact of reality. Maybe Intel is smart in that they are taking advantage of the lack of competition, to address the design issue of their CPU in being so power hungry.

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah, by the looks of it the difference is ~.2 ghz or so when overclocked. So 7700k is about 5% faster than the 6700k. Not really that impressive, honestly.

Even then, that's not a complete guarantee. The article I linked was able to get their chip to boot at 5ghz (my 6700k can boot 5ghz as well) but was not even remotely close to being stable. 

But if you were hoping, like me, the performance optimisations would lead to a CPU generation more than happy to boost over the 5GHz mark for larks then you’ll be disappointed. I’ve only been able to complete a full benchmark run at 4.9GHz, just 100MHz higher than the Skylake i7. Inevitably that’s not going to translate to any meaningful performance lead. 

I did manage to get the 7700K booting at over 5GHz, but it was by no means stable. I could run relatively CPU-light workloads at that speed, such as games, and even managed a few runs of Cinebench, but the aggressive X264 v5 benchmark kept making the system fall over. It didn’t seem to matter how much extra voltage I gave the system, it couldn’t get through a full run. 

The other issue is that with the extra voltage temperatures go through the roof, even with a closed-loop water cooler whirring away atop it. I had to shut down the X264 v5 test when I started upping the CPU voltage because my 7700K was running up to 100°C. Even in the stable 4.9GHz configuration it was peaking at 92°C which just feels too high to be run like that as normal.

Now, 4.9ghz isn't bad, but he also didn't take the time to stress test or validate it's stability. He openly admits to using it only in the benchmarks, which I have seen 4.9ghz 6700k's do the same. If we take in the average 6700k's on OCN, their average OC is 4.7ghz with a sample size of 92: http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

We don't have enough Kaby chips to speak with absolute certainty, but I assume it will fall somewhere around that mark, maybe slightly higher. Either way, I wouldn't stress buying Kaby over Skylake if you can get Skylake cheaper. If you already have a Skylake i3 or i5, and are wanting to upgrade, sure, a 7700k will work just fine, just don't expect it to outperform an equally clocked 6700k (not referring to you, just speaking in general now).

KBL was a fab process improvement with more powerful integrated graphics.  The desktop market has been "good enough" for a few generations now so the aim is at mobile.  If you really care about desktop performance that much they want to move you to the 2011 platform.

BTW internal benchmarks are at 5-9% improvement over SKL across the SKU stack, but that's based on the clocks being faster for the most part.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

But but but 973 vs 972 0.001% increase!! /s

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Lower power efficiency allows greater overclocking. And greater battery life in the mobile world.

No, I am not defending Intel. I am just saying the fact of reality. Maybe Intel is smart in that they are taking advantage of the lack of competition, to address the design issue in being so power hungry.

I bet you $1 of monopoly money it won't be that big of a difference.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Lower power efficiency allows greater overclocking. And greater battery life in the mobile world.

No, I am not defending Intel. I am just saying the fact of reality.

The overclocking part is kinda hit or miss from what I can tell from reviews (once you throw volts at Kaby, it seems to get out of control and lose any gains in efficiency), but the battery life aspect is a big deal. In the reviews we have seen from Mobile Kaby Lake, the advanced Turbo Boost is really paying off in that regard, and that alone is very exciting. I touched upon that slightly in the original post:

11 minutes ago, MageTank said:

My thoughts on this? Well, I've been preaching this very same information on the forum for a few months now. We saw no reason to believe any IPC boosts back then, and now we have our confirmation. While it's disappointing for Desktop users (especially those that own Skylake chips already) it is still pretty exciting for mobile users. The more intelligent Turbo Boost will likely aid in battery life, and higher clocked SKU's with the same TDP envelope is always welcomed on platforms that traditionally do not allow overclocking. At the very least, we can look forward to Skylake-E with AVX512 on the horizon.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10959/intel-launches-7th-generation-kaby-lake-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-i3-7350k/8

What I find striking (aside from the K-series i3 that is) is the pricing model: Anandtech lists the i7-7700K for $305, i5-7600K for $217, and i3-7350K for just $157. All of those prices are well below the ~$260/$360 we usually see for unlocked i5's and i7's, and the i3-7350K is not drastically more expensive than previous i3's. Though obviously there's no way to know if they will actually be available for those prices any time soon.

Lmao I already seen 6 people say they're upgrading their 4770ks or 4790ks. I've seen another 4 ask about upgrading their 6700k. Get ready boys, the used market is going to be fun.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

What I find striking (aside from the K-series i3 that is) is the pricing model: Anandtech lists the i7-7700K for $305, i5-7600K for $217, and i3-7350K for just $157. All of those prices are well below the ~$260/$360 we usually see for unlocked i5's and i7's. Though obviously there's no way to know if they will actually be available for those prices any time soon.

I'll add this to the OP, more sources are always welcome, since it helps solidify information.

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Lmao I already seen 6 people say they're upgrading their 4770ks or 4790ks. I've seen another 4 ask about upgrading their 6700k. Get ready boys, the used market is going to be fun.

Ikr I just might get that 6700k I was looking for

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No, I am not defending Intel. I am just saying the fact of reality. Maybe Intel is smart in that they are taking advantage of the lack of competition, to address the design issue of their CPU in being so power hungry.

It's uses 3W less at idle then a 6700k and 3W more at load so it evens out. Wouldn't consider this any better. The only thing Laby Lake has going for it is higher OCing and some minimal features that are very user specific.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I couldn't mind picking up a used i7 4770k or 4790k on the cheap

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

I'll add this to the OP, more sources are always welcome, since it helps solidify information.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Review-Kaby-Lake-and-14nm

I'll add that PCPer seems to be reporting about the same prices that Skylake launched for, so I'm not sure where Anandtech picked up that $305 figure for the 7700K.

so now that new cpus are out if you want a real upgrade the 5820k is the way to go or wait for ryzen.

Just now, typographie said:

Thank you, when I first posted this, I could only find the two sources I had. NDA must have just dropped. 

If AMD can get this right with RYZEN, Intel may have just laid the red carpet

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

lmao we both know patrick will throw all of that out the window because those aren't his sources.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)