Pre-sleeved cables vs sleeving my own

InsertName
3 hours ago, InsertName said:

I would love to try it, I am just not sure of supplies I need. Wire, sleeve, headshrink , male atx, female atx, all connectors, a crimping tool, and a lighter?

Depends on what your trying to accomplish. Male ATX are used for extensions, If your not building an extension cable theirs no need for them.

Crimping tool, Lighter, Wire stripper and a sharp tool for cutting the wire. Heatgun will also work, if your planning on heatshrinkless method you will need a lighter(You will still need shrink).

Sleeving, Connectors, Female ATX & Heatshrink.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

3 hours ago, W-L said:

Yes those would be the basics, some good things to get or actually make are cutting templates for heatshrink if your doing heatshrink sleeving. I have a list and instructions here if you want to try sleeving just be ready for some sore fingers after a long day of work.

My fingers are perfectly fine :)

I go with heatshrinkless method and never touch the heatshrink. Just heat the four side for a few seconds and cut away and it's perfect to be inserted into the connector.

5 hours ago, Revan654 said:

My fingers are perfectly fine :)

I go with heatshrinkless method and never touch the heatshrink. Just heat the four side for a few seconds and cut away and it's perfect to be inserted into the connector.

Yes hot heatshrink is definitely not fun :P 

18 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Depends on what your trying to accomplish. Male ATX are used for extensions, If your not building an extension cable theirs no need for them.

Crimping tool, Lighter, Wire stripper and a sharp tool for cutting the wire. Heatgun will also work, if your planning on heatshrinkless method you will need a lighter(You will still need shrink).

Sleeving, Connectors, Female ATX & Heatshrink.

I am going to do extensions, so I need male and female?

18 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Take a look at this Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT7p3y4df3uwYYZI7bcdJAA

Allot of good tips on his channel.

13 hours ago, W-L said:

Yes hot heatshrink is definitely not fun :P 

Is this all I need? I am going for a heatshrinkless design of extensions for my 24 pin, eps and pcie power. I have got extra in there just in case :D.

Basket.PNG

abasket.PNG

1 hour ago, InsertName said:

Is this all I need? I am going for a heatshrinkless design of extensions for my 24 pin, eps and pcie power. I have got extra in there just in case :D.

For extensions that would be easier since the connections are 1:1 directly, overall all of that looks like a good start. I would pick up some extra terminals just incase but for that crimper I don't think that is the right one, you want ones like theses that roll over the two tabs, either with a two or three set for different sizes if you do other stuff later on:

1_7%20pins%20area-1000x667.jpg

2 hours ago, InsertName said:

Basket.PNG

abasket.PNG

1. Note sure what what motherboard you have, It's always a good idea to get 4+4 EPS connector.

Everything else looking good. Also buy some extra just incase you make a mistake (Terminals, Sleeving & Wiring).

You might want to buy the crimping tool Mod-One sells.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

For extensions that would be easier since the connections are 1:1 directly, overall all of that looks like a good start. I would pick up some extra terminals just incase but for that crimper I don't think that is the right one, you want ones like theses that roll over the two tabs, either with a two or three set for different sizes if you do other stuff later on:

1_7%20pins%20area-1000x667.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-35574-Ratchet-Action-Terminal-Crimping/dp/B0001K9TGA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483744170&sr=8-3&keywords=crimping+tool

Any good? I will also have to get everything else from another website due to high postage.

1 minute ago, Revan654 said:

1. Note sure what what motherboard you have, It's always a good idea to get 4+4 EPS connector.

Everything else looking good. Also buy some extra just incase you make a mistake (Terminals, Sleeving & Wiring).

I not a fan those types of wire strippers, I prefer using this kind: https://www.amazon.co.uk/12-62-180-Automatic-Insulation/dp/B000PAR60C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483743859&sr=8-1&keywords=Knipex+Self+Adjusting+Wire+Stripper

I was going to get manual wire strippers, I have a low budget. How much sleeving and wiring and terminals should I get just for one set of basic extensions? I have a Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

1 minute ago, InsertName said:

I was going to get manual wire strippers, I have a low budget. How much sleeving and wiring and terminals should I get just for one set of basic extensions? I have a Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

Not sure how far your going to running the extensions. (Wires =  ATX x 24 | EPS x 16 | GPU x 16). I say 50 to 75 ft should be fine.

This is the Crimping tool I use: https://www.cable-sleeving.com/mdpc-crimping-tool-atx-mini-fit-jr

btw, are you getting MDCP-X? Checkout is reading Teleios.

Just now, Revan654 said:

Not sure how far your going to running the extensions. (Wires =  ATX x 24 | EPS x 16 | GPU x 16). I say 50 to 75 ft should be fine.

This is the Crimping tool I use: https://www.cable-sleeving.com/mdpc-crimping-tool-atx-mini-fit-jr

I am, that was from another website, just to get the ideas.

I also wanted to spend £70 on everything, and just the crimping tool and wire cutter are £70

3 minutes ago, InsertName said:

I also wanted to spend £70 on everything, and just the crimping tool and wire cutter are £70

Well you can look for a different wire cutter/stripper. I wouldn't try use a different crimping tool.

I would just stick with tools most sleevers use just to be on the safe side. That's up to you.

Well you can look for a different wire cutter/stripper. I wouldn't try use a different crimping tool.

In that.case I would only have £35 for supplies, is this any ware near enough?

13 minutes ago, InsertName said:

That looks to be a compression tool for those plastic type terminals you will need something like this, personally I like ones that have very sharp teeth but you can always very carefully adjsut the teeth with some fine metal files if needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HFQ7Z96?psc=1

6 minutes ago, InsertName said:

In that.case I would only have £35 for supplies, is this any ware near enough?

I doubt it.

If I had to guess your looking at 70 dollars in materials + Tools.

Also don't forget about Cable Combs.

4 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

I doubt it.

If I had to guess your looking at 70 dollars in materials + Tools.

Also don't forget about Cable Combs.

Would the tool @W-L mentioned be any good?

12 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

It should, Not sure if it has the terminal stopper that MDCP-X tool has. It will get the job done.

Nice, I am gonna try and make a final list now then. Do I need a heat gunna nd lighter?

15 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Would the tool @W-L mentioned be any good?

It might need a little adjustment out of the box but should work no problem, and you will need a few lighters if you are doing heatshrinkless, heatgun for heatshrinked version. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It might need a little adjustment out of the box but should work no problem, and you will need a few lighters if you are doing heatshrinkless, heatgun for heatshrinked version. 

So no heatgun for heat shrink less, just a few lighters?

2 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Yes, The gun will burn the sleeving since the gun would need to be placed over heatshrink for a much longer period.

36 minutes ago, InsertName said:

For heatshrinkless you have two main methods either using heatshrink with the lighter to melt and seal while compressing/tapering the ends or doing it with just your fingers dipped in cold water to compress and tapering as you go. 

8 hours ago, W-L said:

For heatshrinkless you have two main methods either using heatshrink with the lighter to melt and seal while compressing/tapering the ends or doing it with just your fingers dipped in cold water to compress and tapering as you go. 

If I am just heating the heat shrink to secure it then cutting it off with an exactoknife or wire cutters, K will only need some lighters not heatgubs?