Pre-sleeved cables vs sleeving my own

InsertName

Hi, I was going to buy some cablemod sleeved cables, and was wondering if it was worth it to sleeve my own? What are the pros and cons of each?

If you sleeve them yourself it's gonna take more time and effort, and might not look as nice as the cablemod ones but they would be cheaper, if you have no clue about sleeving you should purchase the cablemod ones

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

3 hours ago, InsertName said:

Hi, I was going to buy some cablemod sleeved cables, and was wondering if it was worth it to sleeve my own? What are the pros and cons of each?

If you plan to do a lot of sleeving and don't mind the extra time and effort then doing it yourself isn't a bad idea.just make sure you take the time to probe and plan the pinout or find idframs for your PSU online if your making replacement cables. 

I remember I use to use heat wrap for my cables just so they were not condiments in my case.

A smile goes much farther than the person it's meant for.

First impressions are important, it sets the stage for respect.

"If you don't know every word you don't know it!"- SGM McCray

On 1/3/2017 at 8:20 AM, InsertName said:

Con: First timers it's going to take a bit of practice before you get everything down. It's the only con I found.

I prefer doing my own, Since you can use real PET sleeving. CableMods is good, but their Nylon line doesn't feel or look like True PET.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

On 1/3/2017 at 8:20 AM, InsertName said:

I just sleeved extensions for my 24 pin, 8 pin CPU, 4 pin molex, and 8 pin GPU using paracord.  

Pros - inexpensive (total project cost was less than the cost of just a 24 pin extension from cablemod), very happy with the final product, I can point to it and say "I did that!"

Cons - VERY time consuming (took me about 3 hours to do my first 8 pin for the GPU), tedious work (pop pins out of connector, measure cable, measure paracord, remove paracord core, tape pin on male end of cable, slide cable through paracord, heat and compress ends of paracord, reinstall pins in connector, repeat over and over), tools to remove pins tend to break (I resorted to making my own by soldering staples together after the first two tools broke).

I would agree with everyone above in that buying pre-sleeved cables is MUCH MUCH easier, however it is more expensive. I once tried to sleeve my own cables by buying some MDPC-X sleeving and taking apart some extra cables that I had laying around. The hardest thing for me by far was getting the cable out of the connector. I was using the special tool, but I was still having a ridiculously hard time getting them out. I haven't tried sleeving cables from scratch (i.e. brand new wires and connectors) however I would imagine that that is much easier than doing what I was doing. It is nice to look at your build every once in a while and know that what you're looking at is something that you took your time to do.

18 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Con: First timers it's going to take a bit of practice before you get everything down. It's the only con I found.

I prefer doing my own, Since you can use real PET sleeving. CableMods is good, but their Nylon line doesn't feel or look like True PET.

Where can I get good stuff in the UK? BTW, love your ongoing build :D

8 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Where can I get good stuff in the UK? BTW, love your ongoing build :D

Thanks, You can buy direct from MDPC-X (Which is best Sleeving Cable available). You can also check stores that sell MDPC-X Sleeving on their website too.

Link: https://www.cable-sleeving.com/

9 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Thanks, You can buy direct from MDPC-X (Which is best Sleeving Cable available). You can also check stores that sell MDPC-X Sleeving on their website too.

Link: https://www.cable-sleeving.com/

Do they sell wire and the plugs (like 24 pin mobo female and male)

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

They sell everything except the Wire.

----------

This is Where I get all my Sleeving materials from: https://mod-one.com

They ship world wide.

I apologise for my ignorance, but the total came up to £65, which is £15 more than cablemod cables. Is there any reason i should not go for cablemod?

4 minutes ago, InsertName said:

I apologise for my ignorance, but the total came up to £65, which is £15 more than cablemod cables. Is there any reason i should not go for cablemod?

Unless you plan on doing a lot of custom sleeving doing it yourself will cost more not including your time needed to do the sleeving than just purchasing a basic or full kit.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Unless you plan on doing a lot of custom sleeving doing it yourself will cost more not including your time needed to do the sleeving than just purchasing a basic or full kit.

So just purchase a cablemod kit?

2 minutes ago, InsertName said:

So just purchase a cablemod kit?

In terms of getting results yes it will be a lot quicker and easier than sleeving yourself. To give you an idea it takes me about 12hours to builds and sleeve a custom set with basic connections. 

Just now, W-L said:

In terms of getting results yes it will be a lot quicker and easier than sleeving yourself. To give you an idea it takes me about 12hours to builds and sleeve a custom set with basic connections. 

I would love to try it, I am just not sure of supplies I need. Wire, sleeve, headshrink , male atx, female atx, all connectors, a crimping tool, and a lighter?

1 minute ago, InsertName said:

I would love to try it, I am just not sure of supplies I need. Wire, sleeve, headshrink , male atx, female atx, all connectors, a crimping tool, and a lighter?

Yes those would be the basics, some good things to get or actually make are cutting templates for heatshrink if your doing heatshrink sleeving. I have a list and instructions here if you want to try sleeving just be ready for some sore fingers after a long day of work.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Yes those would be the basics, some good things to get or actually make are cutting templates for heatshrink if your doing heatshrink sleeving. I have a list and instructions here if you want to try sleeving just be ready for some sore fingers after a long day of work.

I have some kevlar gloves if that helps :D

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Also, do I have to buy new wire and sleeve extensions or should I sleeve my current psu cables?

I have some kevlar gloves if that helps :D

1 minute ago, InsertName said:

Also, do I have to buy new wire and sleeve extensions or should I sleeve my current psu cables?

Gloves can help with the stretching but might limit dexterity at times. For wires you have a few options where you can reuse the modular cables from the original PSU or rebuild your new ones at custom lengths and such. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Gloves can help with the stretching but might limit dexterity at times. For wires you have a few options where you can reuse the modular cables from the original PSU or rebuild your new ones at custom lengths and such. 

What would you recommend?

5 minutes ago, InsertName said:

What would you recommend?

It depends on the PSU, some 24 pins have double wires going into one connector and such so rebuilding most of those are needed if you want to make it look really clean, many of the PCI-E cables and such would be easy to just take apart and sleeve. 

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

It depends on the PSU, some 24 pins have double wires going into one connector and such so rebuilding most of those are needed if you want to make it look really clean, many of the PCI-E cables and such would be easy to just take apart and sleeve. 

I have a m12-II Evo, will that be any good to sleeve? If so, will I still need terminals and a crimping tool? Will I need a remover?

I have a m12-II Evo, will that be any good to sleeve? If so, will I still need terminals and a crimping tool? Will I need a remover?

Yes that would be good to sleeve just make sure to make pinout diagram or to find ones online to ensure the cables are correctly pinned. It you change the double wire cables then you will need terminals and crimping tools, definitely a remover tool. 

4 hours ago, InsertName said:

That's just a Basic kit from CableMod & that is also Paracord. PET is higher grade.