AMD A12-9800 benchmarks popped-it's eh

Djole123

So, with Bristol Ridge out of the way crushing every single benchmark, I want to, as always, take a look at the mid tier stuff. Today we have the AMD A12-9800.

amd-7th-gen-processor-0004-970x647-c.jpg

Benchmarks of the A12 9800 popped out and they are, simply put, eh. Not entirely unexpected, but also not mindblowing.

a12-9800_05_642_c7576.jpg

So, it's pretty much on par with its predecessor, the A10-7850K. I mean I'm not quite dissapointed (since it's basically an Excavator refresh), but they could've done better.

So what does this mean for consumers? If you're going to use it with its integrated Polaris based GPU, then sure, it's going to be better at gaming. But for usage with a dGPU, you won't see any performance improvements.

Also I have to mention that the A12-9800 is going to be a great overclocker. It reached 4.8GHz on the Wraith cooler stabily.

We also have to look at one key factor, the price tag. If this is priced correctly, it will sell.

Source:

http://ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=15947

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I think these were posted the other day. Definitely seen them somewhere before.

They're quite disappointing honestly. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

So, with Bristol Ridge out of the way crushing every single benchmark, I want to, as always, take a look at the mid tier stuff. Today we have the AMD A12-9800.

Benchmarks of the A12 9800 popped out and they are, simply put, eh. Not entirely unexpected, but also not mindblowing.

So, it's pretty much on par with its predecessor, the A10-7850K. I mean I'm not quite dissapointed (since it's basically an Excavator refresh), but they could've done better.

So what does this mean for consumers? If you're going to use it with its integrated Polaris based GPU, then sure, it's going to be better at gaming. But for usage with a dGPU, you won't see any performance improvements.

Also I have to mention that the A12-9800 is going to be a great overclocker. It reached 4.8GHz on the Wraith cooler stabily.

We also have to look at one key factor, the price tag. If this is priced correctly, it will sell.

Source:

if that's real then that better be the lowest tier of APU, 

Yours faithfully

This APU is still based essentially on an improved version of Bulldozer and it still uses their old CMT design, albeit improved. Though it's still weird that it's below older APUs at such high clocks, seems impossible as Excavator should bring a good few % of IPC improvement over Kaveri

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

5 minutes ago, LegendKillerRG said:

When you quote the whole news post.2013-11-11 22.20.59.png

Anyways, AMD are Ryzen when it comes to enthusiast. But these APU are pretty good for laptop based PC.

deal with it. But yeah, I think AMD know that APU's for budget gaming desktops didn't work out too good, even a cheap quad core Athlon and GTX 750ti beat the best APU for only a little more, sometimes little less. 
*edit somehow hit entre before I was done*

Edited by Lord Nicoll

Yours faithfully

27 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

if that's real then that better be the lowest tier of APU, 

It's the highest tier APU ;)

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

It's the highest tier APU ;)

dear god, well, as I posted in another response, 

I think AMD know that APU's for budget gaming desktops didn't work out too good, even a cheap quad core Athlon and GTX 750ti beat the best APU for only a little more, sometimes little less. 

Yours faithfully

And still weaker than a 5775C, pathetic...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I have to note again, the A12-9800 is not based off Zen, rather the Bristol Ridge architecture, an Excavator refresh. That's why it's pretty much on par with the last gen A10-7850K, but it has a better GPU and support for dual channel DDR4. It uses the same chipset as Zen, so you can upgrade at any time.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

I have to note again, the A12-9800 is not based off Zen, rather the Bristol Ridge architecture, an Excavator refresh. That's why it's pretty much on par with the last gen A10-7850K, but it has a better GPU and support for dual channel DDR4. It uses the same chipset as Zen, so you can upgrade at any time.

Well that makes sense, it better be sub $100 then, like bottom of the barrel stuff, 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Djole123 said:

Source:

and you know the best thing?

ZENs IMC is supposedly based on the Bristol one....

2 weeks more and ill know if im right. either way, called in weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

This APU is still based essentially on an improved version of Bulldozer and it still uses their old CMT design, albeit improved. Though it's still weird that it's below older APUs at such high clocks, seems impossible as Excavator should bring a good few % of IPC improvement over Kaveri

It has only a 65W TDP and half the L2 Cache of the Kaveri model, which was 95W TDP. 

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Vode said:

It has only a 65W TDP and half the L2 Cache of the Kaveri model, which was 95W TDP. 

AMD's merely using a different model of TDP which doesn't take AVX1/2 code paths into account. Since only server SOCs tend to, that's a fair design claim for desktop users.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

deal with it. But yeah, I think AMD know that APU's for budget gaming desktops didn't work out too good, even a cheap quad core Athlon and GTX 750ti beat the best APU for only a little more, sometimes little less. 
*edit somehow hit entre before I was done*

Here is a great example of thisxbox_one_playstation_4_ilustrace_0.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

AMD needs to stop spending so much time with trying to come up with as many different product numbers as they can and instead focus on making Ryzen as good as they can get it. They should have just left it at 7850K, all this is just confusing and a waste of time IMO.

"Rawr XD"

2 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

AMD needs to stop spending so much time with trying to come up with as many different product numbers as they can and instead focus on making Ryzen as good as they can get it. They should have just left it at 7850K, all this is just confusing and a waste of time IMO.

Nope, AMD should waste as much money as possible and collapse entirely. Let Nvidia inherit the CPU and APU IP and let Intel have RTG. Competition would be bolstered on both fronts.

Tbh I was a bit surprised they carried over older architecture to new AM4 platform, but I guess it makes sense for low end.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

And still weaker than a 5775C, pathetic...

It's not like we expected it to be better...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

AMD's merely using a different model of TDP which doesn't take AVX1/2 code paths into account. Since only server SOCs tend to, that's a fair design claim for desktop users.

Ok, I thought the difference in cache size was affecting the change in the TDP, because it's larger compared to the core logic, or is this not the case?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Inb4 all of zen turns out to just be another excavator refresh. AMD and there old tricks! :D

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

1 hour ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Inb4 all of zen turns out to just be another excavator refresh. AMD and there old tricks! :D

You realize that if AMD did that, they would literally be signing a death warrant? Not only would it open them up to massive lawsuits for false advertising and misleading investors, but it would also destroy all public confidence in them.

No way that's happening. Sure, Ryzen might not live up to the expectations (Especially those created by the Hype Mill and AMD fanboys, not by AMD themselves), but everything I've seen, has led me to believe that Ryzen is going to be pretty solid, and competitive with current and near future Intel offerings.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)