PS4 converted to PC? Is it possible?

Benzene
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Also using the PS4's hardware itself will net you a rather poor gaming PC anyway. The PS4 uses a netbook class processor with what amounts to something between a Radeon HD 7870 GHz edition and a HD 7950. Even with 8 cores, it's not going to be any more powerful than a Intel Pentium.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

isn't the PS4 the Sony console that came with a Linux option?

That's the PS3, which they removed the option anyway. Also Sony was very restrictive of the Other OS option anyway. For instance, the other OS couldn't use the GPU because the Hypervisor wouldn't allow it.

I would go ahead and say no due to custom hardware. Yes its a PC but not in the traditional sense.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

11 hours ago, Benzene said:

Basically I would in theory like to take the GPU/CPU/RAM from the PS4 and put into a current socket.... Not sure if Sony uses proprietary sockets/ram/voltages.....

I'd also like to note that all the components in a modern console are soldered down.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

4 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Am I allowed to factor in how I'd probably be able to find the game cheaper on G2A or something dodgy (like steam)?

Yes, but then I'm allowed to factor in that I can wait as long as I possibly can for a good deal on a game. Also G2A is a gray market and I don't count that (the main reason is you have no way to guarantee the key you purchased was obtained legitimately)

Plus can I also factor in how you need a gold PSN subscription to play online? And how they may need a new PC for web browsing and what ever? (unlikely scenario but possible)

Sure, as long as you factor in that PS+ comes with a few games every month.

I mean, from a gaming only perspective:

Can you run emulators on a PS4? Nope...

I'd shuffle that into the legal gray area like G2A, so I won't count that.

Can you run games from October 2013 and older? Nope (unless it's been ported, 99% valid for PS4, only like 50% valid for xbone)

Well you have that one.

Can you get 10 paid games for like $1 of something like bundle stars? (even if they're really really shitty games) Nope

Humble Bundle does consoles now.

It highly depends on the scenario as from a machine vs machine perspective, the PS4 and the PS4 pro offers a better price to performance ratio but once you add up cost of games on console, the possibility of requiring a new PC for non-gaming related activities, backward compatibility, how you have to pay for online ect. the benefits of the machine only perspective quickly diminishes and getting a gaming PC may offer better value overall.

That also depends on how much you really care about A. amassing as many games as you possibly can (which honestly is becoming really silly) and B. playing older games.

The argument for how you need to spend $1k per year upgrading isn't valid either, you can easily spend $550 now, play at 1080p high-ultra settings for a considerable amount of time and have it last you for the next 10 years (assuming you're willing to turn dem graphics down over time where consoles have to as well anyway).

I don't think anyone here still uses an 8800 GT or HD 2900 regularly.

On a side note, don't worry, I'm not a PCMR elitist, I personally own a (or 2) PS3s, a wii U, 3DS XL, OG GB, GBA SP, GB micro...I just wanted to put a counter argument up :D (okay, fair enough, I don't own a PS4 or xbone but ah well). Plis no hate...

That just makes me want to punch you in the face more :)

I won't actually do that. But really, saying all that and then go "BUT I GOT ALL THESE THINGS SO NO HATE" doesn't add anything to your argument at all.

17 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Also using the PS4's hardware itself will net you a rather poor gaming PC anyway. The PS4 uses a netbook class processor with what amounts to something between a Radeon HD 7870 GHz edition and a HD 7950. Even with 8 cores, it's not going to be any more powerful than a Intel Pentium.

That's the PS3, which they removed the option anyway. Also Sony was very restrictive of the Other OS option anyway. For instance, the other OS couldn't use the GPU because the Hypervisor wouldn't allow it.

I'm not disagreeing with you or anything but I'm curious:

if the PS4 uses such a weak CPU (if you're saying netbook I assume this to be true) and what I assume is a rather weak GPU (idk how a HD 7950 would compare to my 1070 for example) how does it manage 1080p @60 fps (or close to it if I'm not mistaken)?

I know that compared to pc versions of games also on ps4 that ps4 versions would use the equivalent of lower settings than the best possible on PC but given what you said about the ps4's apparent weak hardware it seems hard to believe games could as good on it as they do.

Sorry.  I guess what I'm trying ask is how does the ps4 manage to do as well as it does with iffy grade hardware?

17 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Consoles have OSes that allow games to run more directly on the hardware. That is, the game itself does not have to ask the OS for hardware access or the access routines are much more streamlined. Games are more or less trusted applications, so they can get away with this.

PC games on the other hand have to talk to the OS constantly to access hardware. In a general purpose computer these days, pretty much all user applications (i.e., not OS components or drivers) are applications that cannot be trusted with easy access to hardware or system resources.

As an aside, despite what people call DX12 and Vulkan as "close to metal" API, they are not. All they did was shift the burden of some things to the application itself rather than on the API. As well as redoing some concepts to make processing instructions to the GPU more efficient.

I'm guessing this is basically answering my question?  Sorry.  I hadn't looked at all the posts before posting myself.  

Are there any additional details you might have to add in regards ro my question from my first response to you in this thread?

If not that's ok.

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Are there any additional details you might have to add in regards to my question from my first response to you in this thread?

Consoles can generally only manage 1080p at 60FPS with less demanding games.

With more demanding games (AAA and whatnot), they compromise resolution and framerate or use some weird loophole. Something that's becoming increasingly common is dynamic resolution, where the game ramps the resolution up and down depending on load to maintain a playable framerate.

The Xbone and PS4, if memory serves, usually run more graphically intensive games in 792p around 30FPS, with some variation. The PS4 Pro is too new for me to really have reliable numbers for (though someone else might), but it effectively doubles the GPU power of the PS4 and looks to be able to manage 1080p at 30FPS most of the time.

Basically, with modern graphically-intensive games, even if they can get 1080p at 60FPS, they can't get it consistently. 30FPS has been their target number for quite a while.

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

if the PS4 uses such a weak CPU (if you're saying netbook I assume this to be true) and what I assume is a rather weak GPU (idk how a HD 7950 would compare to my 1070 for example) how does it manage 1080p @60 fps (or close to it if I'm not mistaken)?

Most games on the PS4 aren't 60 FPS to begin with. The only ones that got 1080p 60FPS were ports from the PS3.

42 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Consoles can generally only manage 1080p at 60FPS with less demanding games.

With more demanding games (AAA and whatnot), they compromise resolution and framerate or use some weird loophole. Something that's becoming increasingly common is dynamic resolution, where the game ramps the resolution up and down depending on load to maintain a playable framerate.

The Xbone and PS4, if memory serves, usually run more graphically intensive games in 792p around 30FPS, with some variation. The PS4 Pro is too new for me to really have reliable numbers for (though someone else might), but it effectively doubles the GPU power of the PS4 and looks to be able to manage 1080p at 30FPS most of the time.

Basically, with modern graphically-intensive games, even if they can get 1080p at 60FPS, they can't get it consistently. 30FPS has been their target number for quite a while.

I stand corrected, thank you.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Most games on the PS4 aren't 60 FPS to begin with. The only ones that got 1080p 60FPS were ports from the PS3.

Some are.  Apparently not nearly as many as I'd thought.  Oh well.  

19 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

isn't the PS4 the Sony console that came with a Linux option?

Funny thing about that actually, they gave people the Linux option because they could sell it as a PC or whatever instead of a gaming console which meant the taxes were lower :D

There's probably a bunch of information about it somewhere but i can't be bothered to find it atm.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Funny thing about that actually, they gave people the Linux option because they could sell it as a PC or whatever instead of a gaming console which meant the taxes were lower :D

There's probably a bunch of information about it somewhere but i can't be bothered to find it atm.

It was meant to get a foot in the door in the supercomputing market, which Sony succeeded mildly. Then they got rid of the option and pissed off those customers.

Though to be honest, betting your super computing cluster to a bunch of consumer grade machines is kind of asking for trouble in the long term.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Though to be honest, betting your super computing cluster to a bunch of consumer grade machines is kind of asking for trouble in the long term.

Well, there's a tradeoff there. I remember something about Google taking the "throw as many cheap AMD CPU's as possible into it" approach with a few projects...

On a side note, I just noticed while writing that comment that "AMD CPU's" won't necessarily be synonymous with "cheap, dinky CPU's" much longer.

Thread moved on over to "Case Modding and Other Mods."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch