DIY Speakers

After all that you only saved $95?

Some things are worth paying for.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

What the hell this  didn't  even show  up in my subscription feed

1 minute ago, Scitesh said:

What the hell this  didn't  even show  up in my subscription feed

It's unlisted for now

well... try them against some speakers at the same price? i would like to see that too because thats what IMO matters, what can you get for the same price?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, Gix7Fifty said:

After all that you only saved $95?

Some things are worth paying for.

Unfortunately the screengrabs were taken right during the "holiday sale" rush, so the Q500s were deeply discounted. At their normal price the savings are a lot more significant

https://www.amazon.com/KEF-Q500-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker-Single/dp/B00CE3LGAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483302442&sr=8-1&keywords=kef+q500

Note that the Amazon listing is for "Single" meaning you only get ONE speaker at that price... Pretty misleading image on the sale page O.o

I built the same kit a few years ago. They sound pretty fantastic for the money and the transmission line enclosure makes the bass sound AMAZING. The sound quality is definitely better than allot of tower speakers that are more than double the cost.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I like the DIY videos, but the conclusion was kind of a let down. After the 'blind testers' gave the DIY set about 2 points lower than the new set, you wouldn't expect Linus to recommend it.

Some more info on extras that could be added to the speaker set (or whatever DIY project there is in the future) would have been nice.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I like the DIY videos, but the conclusion was kind of a let down. After the 'blind testers' gave the DIY set about 2 points lower than the new set, you wouldn't expect Linus to recommend it.

Some more info on extras that could be added to the speaker set (or whatever DIY project there is in the future) would have been nice.

i feel like they may they done something wrong as they said the bass was lacking on them which is FAR from what i have experienced with the same kit. Im going to guess they overfilled the enclosure with pollyfill. That said, i have never listened to those kef's Linus compared against, but i have heard quite a few different kinds of high end towers.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

6 minutes ago, bob345 said:

i feel like they may they done something wrong as they said the bass was lacking on them which is FAR from what i have experienced with the same kit. Im going to guess they overfilled the enclosure with pollyfill. That said, i have never listened to those kef's Linus compared against, but i have heard quite a few different kinds of high end towers.

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected a set for this price to get scores this low. Even if it did have some less bass.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected a set for this price to get scores this low. Even if it did have some less bass.

Have to keep in mind that the KEFs are 3-4x the price of the DIY solution.

They were by no means a "bad' listening experience, they just weren't on par with the KEFs.

59 minutes ago, bob345 said:

I built the same kit a few years ago. They sound pretty fantastic for the money and the transmission line enclosure makes the bass sound AMAZING. The sound quality is definitely better than allot of tower speakers that are more than double the cost.

It's about a quarter of the price (already on amazon.in)

1 hour ago, bob345 said:

I imagine the very poorly made enclosure has a big impact on that too.

This is the second audio related video in a week that I have a serious issues with.

Yes, the idea here is "can someone with little to no woodworking experience build..." BUT, no-one with half a brain could possibly build anything like that.

Nothing lines up and there are visible gaps.

@nicklmg so basically this video already feels outdated on release as a result of screenshotting during a deep discount in price. 

(Oh and no one ever got back to me on the topic of the Christmas Album I brought up, just reminding since I know it was the holidays)

Also, Linus sounded really weird in this video.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

1 hour ago, MammothJerk said:

What's the deal with these new thumbnails?

Based on click data this is what YouTube viewers want to see. They're definitely outside the norm for us, but we've been testing them recently and you'll probably be seeing a lot more of them in the future. We might not always like it, but sometimes we have to play the "YouTube game" to stay competitive.

1 hour ago, LudwigVonSneider said:

I imagine the very poorly made enclosure has a big impact on that too.

This is the second audio related video in a week that I have a serious issues with.

Yes, the idea here is "can someone with little to no woodworking experience build..." BUT, no-one with half a brain could possibly build anything like that.

Nothing lines up and there are visible gaps.

You are 100% right on this, which is why our final conclusion was that buying the prebuilt enclosures was worth it. I don't know if in the end it was my bad woodworking that made it sound a little off though, if I had to put money on it I would say it was my bad wiring job. ;) 

why bother when you can get decent studio monitors for $200 or some miccas with a smsl amp.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

6 hours ago, bob345 said:

It's more likely that they didn't break the speakers in before the listening test. Brand new drivers do not achieve their full sound profile until they've been used for a certain amount of time. There is also the likelihood that the test audience isn't skilled enough to know what they're supposed to be listening for, the average person wouldn't know good sound if it slapped them in the head.

2 hours ago, ashypanda said:

why bother when you can get decent studio monitors for $200 or some miccas with a smsl amp.

Personally I'm not a fan of SMSL amps. On my first speaker build I started with a $25 Lepai amp and wasn't impressed so I bought a SMSL SA50 thinking it would be way better... if there was any difference at all I couldn't tell. I then put them on a Sonos Connect:AMP and they sound way better. Sure, comparing an $70 amp to a $500 one isn't fair, but the $70 one wasn't any better than a $25 one either.

I also have ~$200 powered studio monitors (C4.5BT) and for $150 to build Overnight Sensations and get a Lepai amp, I'd take the Overnight Sensations hands down.

1 hour ago, DeathsArrow said:

It's more likely that they didn't break the speakers in before the listening test. Brand new drivers do not achieve their full sound profile until they've been used for a certain amount of time. There is also the likelihood that the test audience isn't skilled enough to know what they're supposed to be listening for, the average person wouldn't know good sound if it slapped them in the head.

from my experience, "break in" is largely a myth. I have build plenty of speakers and have not noticed any kind of noticeable difference between new drivers and drivers that have been used for quite some time. Its one of those things that get perpetuated by the snobby side of audiophiles.

I watched the video this morning and i believe that at the cost, for a person who like to build and work (play) with power tools, and a person who really needs speakers, and want to brag that they did it themselves, is totally worth the cost. a few hundred bucks for something that could last you potentially years that you made yourself is a yes in my books. so the quality isnt the best in the world, get over it, if you want hi end studio quality, go buy a $10'000 studio set.