AMD's Vega architecture previewed at ve.ga

captain cactus
1 hour ago, themaniac said:

what am I missing about volta?

Watch the video again

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, themaniac said:

At 0:05, the sign say "poor volta" 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

make some noise... RUGAL!!! 

(oh yeah, RADEON!!! :))

AMD sure loves their countdowns it seems. New marketing team?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

People it is not a Hypetrain look at he RX480 beating every 1060 out there now, the hype is real #goteamred

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

37 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

A countdown to the announcement of the estimation of the announcement of the paper release. 

My favorite thing in the whole wide world.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

It's actually pretty well timed of AMD. nVidia's event (presumably about the 1080Ti or even a sneak peak of Volta) is currently planned 11 hours and 30 minutes before AMD has their Vega event. So if we do see a 1080Ti paper launch we'll also see a Vega paper launch right after that. Super high-end vs super high-end (and possibly some lower-end stuff as well). Let the games begin.

Ye ole' train

#goamd

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

13 hours ago, themaniac said:

It's named after Alessandro Volta, known for the invention of the voltaic pile. So maybe Volta will be a pile. A steaming pile. 

14 hours ago, Fetzie said:

tbf, it's usually the "independent media" who post bullshit rumours about how it's going to blow our fucking minds that fuel the hype train. You know, like those "overclocking results" with a headline of "Ryzen hitting 5 GIGAHERTZ ON AIR", and then you have idiots who think you can "backwards extrapolate" the results to mean the CPU will generally be overclockable to 4.4 GHz.

did Anand post that shit? not!

then what are we talking about

14 hours ago, Xsilent(X) said:

People it is not a Hypetrain look at he RX480 beating every 1060 out there now, the hype is real #goteamred

Except the 480 doesn't beat the 1060. They are trading blows.

Sometimes the 480 wins, sometimes the 1060 wins.

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

true

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And even then, it consumes uite a bit more power to do that, substantially more than even the far more powerful GTX 1070.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-review,5.html

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I wonder how much AMD paid for that domain name.

ve.ga Haha clever but I can't imagine that being cheap

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

did Anand post that shit? not!

then what are we talking about

zen5ghzlol.PNG

Everybody else is, though. If you repeat a lie enough it becomes the "truth". Every fucking website and youtube tech channel had a strapline something along the lines of "5 GHz RYZEN!!111!!!11!!" within two days of that article going online. Anandtech didn't, but they're one site in a sea of many.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

6 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

GPUs are advancing so fast, I'm scared to buy one for fear of it becoming obsolete in 1 year :/

GPU advancements has actually slowed down. A few generations ago you could expect a mid range card from the new generation matched the previous highest-end card, for like half the price if not less, and they were released yearly.

Imagine if the 2060 were just a few months away, it would cost 300 dollars and perform like the 1080, while using less power, producing less heat and have some cool new features.

Nowadays the jumps are smaller and less frequent.

You should not be scared of buying a new GPU, unless AMD and/or Nvidia is just about to launch a new generation, then you might want to wait for that before ordering anything.

IM IN TEARS BECAUSE OF THE POOR VOLTA THING OMG IM LAUGHING MY ASS OF LMAO!!!! xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

GPU advancements has actually slowed down. A few generations ago you could expect a mid range card from the new generation matched the previous highest-end card, for like half the price if not less, and they were released yearly.

Imagine if the 2060 were just a few months away, it would cost 300 dollars and perform like the 1080, while using less power, producing less heat and have some cool new features.

Nowadays the jumps are smaller and less frequent.

You should not be scared of buying a new GPU, unless AMD and/or Nvidia is just about to launch a new generation, then you might want to wait for that before ordering anything.

That happened to me so many times back in the day.

Bought the 7950GX2 and was delighted with my amazing powerhouse dual GPU.

Not even 6 months later the 8800GTX dropped, absolutely blowing it away; all while the 8800 GTS cards were mopping the floor with my far more expensive card as well; especially in games SLI didn't work in; and at price to performance.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Ah i see, the kid at the end was crying on how the top of the line Vega GPU performs....

:l

Groomlake Authority

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

And even then, it consumes uite a bit more power to do that, substantially more than even the far more powerful GTX 1070.

For what it's worth, my XFX 480 is only consuming 95-100 watts on the core while benchmarking and it's often in the mid 80s when gaming. It's not a particularly high asic (from  memory it's 66%) either which means it's not as efficient per mhz as it could be.

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

If we were genuinely that worried about power consumption, we'd game on consoles. And a 34w difference at full load, somewhere neither card will spend a lot of time, or a 7w gap to the 1070 at idle who the hell cares? It isn't going to make a noticeable difference to your energy bill.

1 hour ago, Monkey Dust said:

If we were genuinely that worried about power consumption, we'd game on consoles. And a 34w difference at full load, somewhere neither card will spend a lot of time, or a 7w gap to the 1070 at idle who the hell cares? It isn't going to make a noticeable difference to your energy bill.

Point is, AMD still doesn't have the efficiency of their products under control.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL