Android 7.1 via CyanogenMod on Moto G3 Turbo?

Rayhaan Jiwani

Hello Forum,

You may or may not have heard of the list of Moto devices set to officially get the Android N update. I'm using the Moto G Turbo Edition which unfortunately hasn't been confirmed to get the update so I was wondering whether I should use the latest version of CyanogenMod to get Android 7.1. My main concerns about doing this is phone performance and battery life. Will Android N slow down my phone due to its new features or will it improve performance and battery life due to its optimisations? Also, what if I want to update my version of Android (eg: builds like 7.2, etc.) or get the new security patches? What do I do about those? Also, could someone link me to all the resources I'll need to do this? (Anything apart from the custom ROM and recovery file which I'll download from the CyanogenMod's website).

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

23 minutes ago, Rayhaan Jiwani said:

Hello Forum,

You may or may not have heard of the list of Moto devices set to officially get the Android N update. I'm using the Moto G Turbo Edition which unfortunately hasn't been confirmed to get the update so I was wondering whether I should use the latest version of CyanogenMod to get Android 7.1. My main concerns about doing this is phone performance and battery life. Will Android N slow down my phone due to its new features or will it improve performance and battery life due to its optimisations? Also, what if I want to update my version of Android (eg: builds like 7.2, etc.) or get the new security patches? What do I do about those? Also, could someone link me to all the resources I'll need to do this? (Anything apart from the custom ROM and recovery file which I'll download from the CyanogenMod's website).

Pretty sure they just killed CyanogenMod and will no longer be updating it

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I run CyanogenMod on a LG V410 tablet which wasn't too snappy to begin with.   It is significantly faster than its predecessors.  Try to get the update if you can.  It is well worth your while. 

17 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Pretty sure they just killed CyanogenMod and will no longer be updating it

They did but there's a snapshot build for Android 7.1 and Lineage OS is not yet available for my phone. And I can always roll back to Android M, right?

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

cyanogenmod is dead https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CyanogenMod#Restructure_and_cessation_of_services

the selling point of cyanogenmod is not to get the latest os, it is to get a rooted phone off out of google and carrier control.

i put cyanogen on my older sony phone and it was cool having root access without a dodgy exploit but some hardware features were not supported and updates by the community dropped pretty fast for my model. The reality with smartphones & any ARM based system is your phone is only as good as the OEM who supports it. For smartphones and longterm support the only committed OEMs are apple and canonical; neither of which are android.

2 minutes ago, Rayhaan Jiwani said:

They did but there's a snapshot build for Android 7.1 and Lineage OS is not yet available for my phone. And I can always roll back to Android M, right?

yes you should be able to roll back if you back up properly and do your research

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_