Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dklims

Upgrade from 3770k to 6900k?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

So I have been waiting to upgrade my i7 3770k (@4.5GHz) for a while. But I have yet to see any decent options thus far. The 6700k doesn't seem to offer that much of a performance increase to be worth upgrading (not really talking about price-to-performance of the upgrade but just as a upgrade in general). 

I use programs like Unity3D editor, Unreal 4, Maya (on occassion), and I write different programs and such as I am a Game Developer. I am also a twitch streamer and the 3770k doesn't seem to cut it on more intense games where there is a lot going on in the game I am playing. I use X264 encoding as it produces the best quality, but it is also the most demanding of the CPU. I figured that 4 more cores were certainly do the trick for a better quality stream and would also help in the other programs or at least in multitasking with demanding tasks.

I also play a lot of games (I realize in gaming alone the performance will probably be about the same, that being said I feel sometimes I am CPU limited having two 980ti's in sli).

I also just read that Skylake-x should be coming out around may (ish?) would it be better to wait for that?

Do you guys think I would see a big improvement in the programs/purposes I listed?

Thanks guys!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dklims said:

Hey guys,

So I have been waiting to upgrade my i7 3770k (@4.5GHz) for a while. But I have yet to see any decent options thus far. The 6700k doesn't seem to offer that much of a performance increase to be worth upgrading (not really talking about price-to-performance of the upgrade but just as a upgrade in general). 

I use programs like Unity3D editor, Unreal 4, Maya (on occassion), and I write different programs and such as I am a Game Developer. I am also a twitch streamer and the 3770k doesn't seem to cut it on more intense games where there is a lot going on in the game I am playing. I use X264 encoding as it produces the best quality, but it is also the most demanding of the CPU. I figured that 4 more cores were certainly do the trick for a better quality stream and would also help in the other programs or at least in multitasking with demanding tasks.

I also play a lot of games (I realize in gaming alone the performance will probably be about the same, that being said I feel sometimes I am CPU limited having two 980ti's in sli).

I also just read that Skylake-x should be coming out around may (ish?) would it be better to wait for that?

Do you guys think I would see a big improvement in the programs/purposes I listed?

Thanks guys!

Wait for Ryzen to come out, then make the decision.


Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

 

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

 

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dklims said:

Hey guys,

So I have been waiting to upgrade my i7 3770k (@4.5GHz) for a while. But I have yet to see any decent options thus far. The 6700k doesn't seem to offer that much of a performance increase to be worth upgrading (not really talking about price-to-performance of the upgrade but just as a upgrade in general). 

I use programs like Unity3D editor, Unreal 4, Maya (on occassion), and I write different programs and such as I am a Game Developer. I am also a twitch streamer and the 3770k doesn't seem to cut it on more intense games where there is a lot going on in the game I am playing. I use X264 encoding as it produces the best quality, but it is also the most demanding of the CPU. I figured that 4 more cores were certainly do the trick for a better quality stream and would also help in the other programs or at least in multitasking with demanding tasks.

I also play a lot of games (I realize in gaming alone the performance will probably be about the same, that being said I feel sometimes I am CPU limited having two 980ti's in sli).

I also just read that Skylake-x should be coming out around may (ish?) would it be better to wait for that?

Do you guys think I would see a big improvement in the programs/purposes I listed?

Thanks guys!

I would hold out until Zen right now. Price drops are pretty much over now, so you would be buying at base price, and it wouldn't be worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, DaveTheBeast023 said:

I would hold out until Zen right now. Price drops are pretty much over now, so you would be buying at base price, and it wouldn't be worth it.

 

6 minutes ago, masterzpcz said:

See what happens with zen and consider your options then unless you absolutely have to have Intel zen is definitely worth considering 

Do you guys have any idea on the price range of zen? I have always been with intel (not a fanboy they have just had better high end products in the past so im open to new stuff).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dklims said:

 

Do you guys have any idea on the price range of zen? I have always been with intel (not a fanboy they have just had better high end products in the past so im open to new stuff).

There has been nothing confirmed, but I would not be surprised if it was 3/4s of the price, or even half of the price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hold out for RyZen ;)

 

 

9 minutes ago, DaveTheBeast023 said:

There has been nothing confirmed, but I would not be surprised if it was 3/4s of the price, or even half of the price.

Yeah but what about performance?

No doubt there will be a flock of sheep to do benchmarks.

Who are the top benchmarkers to view when the shit lays down?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jack the Stripper said:

Hold out for RyZen ;)

 

 

Yeah but what about performance?

No doubt there will be a flock of sheep to do benchmarks.

Who are the top benchmarkers to view when the shit lays down?

They have a video showcasing that it performs just as good, if not slightly better. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jack the Stripper said:

I wouldnt trust them at all.

Okey Doke. I respectfully disagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion. I am inclined to think their performance is much better, considering they are going with smaller nano-meter chips, and are more focused on single core performance this time around, instead of using useless 6 and 8 core processors. If their numbers are anywhere near correct, Zen should be amazing for the cost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Jack the Stripper said:

I wouldnt trust them at all. Thats a promo video that AMD put out.

 

2 minutes ago, DaveTheBeast023 said:

Okey Doke. I respectfully disagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion. I am inclined to think their performance is much better, considering they are going with smaller nano-meter chips, and are more focused on single core performance this time around, instead of using useless 6 and 8 core processors. If their numbers are anywhere near correct, Zen should be amazing for the cost.

I think the video holds some truth, It gives us something to look to at least upon release...I honestly hope that it is a good gauge of what to expect, that being said we will see for ourselves soon enough! No sense in arguing...I for one did not realize that AMD was event attempting to make a chip that would compete with the 6900k so that is exciting stuff! If it does compete it will put a fire under intel's ass and most likely drive some prices down as well!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@DaveTheBeast023 @bob51zhang Don't quote the OP if you're one of the first in the thread.


Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DaveTheBeast023 said:

There has been nothing confirmed, but I would not be surprised if it was 3/4s of the price, or even half of the price.

If you think that AMD will be offering the same performance at half the price, I'm not sure what to say. :/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×