Suggestion: Add a pinned "Declined Suggestions" thread

iamdarkyoshi

I've lost track of how many "Allow users to delete posts" suggestion threads have been made, along with suggestions for a disagree button, etc.

Maybe pin a topic in the suggestions subforum listing the most common suggestions that were declined, and why they were declined.

I feel like it might help keep the suggestions subforum a bit cleaner :) 

Most of the time the people who lack the logic to see the obvious flaw in their suggestion, aren't the type of people to check a pinned thread. Though yes, there are times when I think of something, not sure if it's been brought up before, can't be arsed to search through threads and just don't bother.  

better suggestion- record a video of @colonel_mortis screaming at users what not to suggest  (And I mean in like an insane desperate voice) and force them to watch all of it before posting a thread. LTT serves videos now, should be easy. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

That's actually brilliant...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 31/12/2016 at 9:31 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's actually brilliant...

I did made a similar suggestion b4 but it got lost in time

even just a stickied thread with "[Read Before Posting] Suggestions Guidelines" that has a list of what not to suggest would help.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I personally am backing this idea. It would be useful for tracking purposes, but I imagine some people will simply ignore it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

53 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I personally am backing this idea. It would be useful for tracking purposes, but I imagine some people will simply ignore it.

Damn those some people.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Damn those some people.

That's racist...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

52 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Instant ban!

Maybe not...

A warning point

On 1/3/2017 at 3:09 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

But you just link the thread to them instead of explaining every single time why why and WHY. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Why hasn't this been done yet! Do it now!

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As much as this will be useful, it will be glossed over by most people who should've read it. :)

Perhaps, but at least we can just answer with a link to it (when appropriate) rather than explaining over and over

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As much as this will be useful, it will be glossed over by most people who should've read it. :)

I have a solution to MAKE people read ALL the rules for ALL the sections but it would require a lot of work on the part of staff and would require them to work together as a team to get it done. I'm assuming that staff have hidden section(s) where they can work on topics together before publication and do multiple drafts of said topics. Okay, onto the idea:

All new accounts should be redirected to this page upon their very very first registration/login. Possibly automatically send them a PM as well with a link to it for their reference in the future.

1 Mega rules topic stickied and locked wherever appropriate, and have it have sections to it like a Wiki article where you can click 'contents links' to go to a specific section of it. It should start with something along the lines of "Welcome to the LinusTechTips Forum!

Before you start posting please read this topic. These rules will help you get the most out of your time here and make the forum better for everyone. On the off chance that you break them, you will get warnings and potentially be banned."

and then have the regular rules/guidelines to be followed throughout the forum perhaps followed by 'contents links' to each section's specific rules.

This would be a codification of the common sense guidelines that the staff uses to maintain the forum's high quality. The way staff chooses to apply them will depend on the context as it has in the past.

This would also be a conscious decision of quality of posts over quantity.

Note: This is just a suggestion, and obviously it could be changed or parts of it could be used and others left out.

Just my 2 memory sticks. :P

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

6 minutes ago, DKL said:

All new accounts should be redirected to this page upon their very very first registration/login. Possibly automatically send them a PM as well with a link to it for their reference in the future.

Even if you did that, there's also a good chance few will still read it. They'll gloss over it like an EULA, looking for that "LET ME CONTINUE" button.

People just look for the easy way: asking someone. :/

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Even if you did that, there's also a good chance few will still read it. They'll gloss over it like an EULA, looking for that "LET ME CONTINUE" button.

People just look for the easy way: asking someone. :/

Then warn them? Seriously, if you give consistent punishment for bad behavior it will stop said behavior. If you try to ignore it then it will grow until people start really complaining/leaving and then it becomes harder to stop.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

15 minutes ago, DKL said:

Then warn them? Seriously, if you give consistent punishment for bad behavior it will stop said behavior. If you try to ignore it then it will grow until people start really complaining/leaving and then it becomes harder to stop.

xD oh, how I wish that was true... 

There is a long list of banned users who stand as an exception to your statement :P 

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

xD oh, how I wish that was true... 

There is a long list of banned users who stand as an exception to your statement :P 

For good reason :D

like I said, this is just suggestions. Take what you will, reject what you won't.

6 hours ago, DKL said:

Auto-PM consisting links to CS, Welcome thread, something about most common subforums for new users and how to contact moderators would be good idea. The fact that every user accepts CS is already a thing. They don't have to read it, but since they do accept it, there's no way arguing about not knowing the rules.

6 hours ago, DKL said:

1 Mega rules topic stickied and locked wherever appropriate, and have it have sections to it like a Wiki article where you can click 'contents links' to go to a specific section of it. It should start with something along the lines of "Welcome to the LinusTechTips Forum!

The Community Standards is literally on top of every single page. Do we really need more than that?

6 hours ago, DKL said:

and then have the regular rules/guidelines to be followed throughout the forum perhaps followed by 'contents links' to each section's specific rules.

Relevant subforums already have their own rules (mainly TN&R and Classifieds). Plus FAQs under Troubleshooting, NP&P, Folding/Mining and Water Cooling. People still posts topics about questions answered there. Or leave out info which is then asked in first reply.

In all, having stickie would help, but only a bit. Like before forum upgrade bit under year ago, we had just two threads for suggestions and bugs. Suggestion one had (very old and outdated) listing of common suggestions and their status. I have wondered why Mortis doesn't do it here ever since.

I have my own "stickie" for threads about forum app queries. I've thought about doing another, but simpler about other common requests. Like chat function, move/delete/lock for users, various spam protections and other such.

LTT/Forum App - LoGiCalDrm's Thoughts - Linus Tech Tips

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Heh, been over a year since I joined. Guess I forgot some things ^^'

Ty for pointing that out for me @LoGiCalDrm

Well, I just think there should be one centralized place as well for all the rules. It's not uncommon for someone to ignore the first few lines when reading... possibly just searching for a new topic button and not realizing that there is rules for the section they are in that are specific to that section.

2 minutes ago, DKL said:

Heh, been over a year since I joined. Guess I forgot some things ^^'

Ty for pointing that out for me @LoGiCalDrm

Well, I just think there should be one centralized place as well for all the rules. It's not uncommon for someone to ignore the first few lines when reading... possibly just searching for a new topic button and not realizing that there is rules for the section they are in that are specific to that section.

How more centralized can it get? But like said, I'm all for PM containing some common infos. Its common on other communities, so why not here too. There will be people who ignore it still. But its not like informative threads are easy to find. Like FAQ and LTT suggestions/sponsor threads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

That's what I get for posting at 5AM lol! Looked there and didn't see the links, looked again and saw them now. :$

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

So is it gonna happen?

This is a great idea.....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),