Asus to reveal thinnest GTX1080 laptop?

NumLock21

Speculations is going around that Asus might reveal their thinnest laptop at this years CES. Model of that laptop is Asus ROG GX501 and inside packs a Intel Kaby Lake quad core processor,  24GB of ram, NVMe SSD, 4K display, and a GTX1080. This 15.6 inch laptop will have a thickness of 16.65mm, a lot thinner than the Razer Blade Pro which has a thickness of 22.5mm.

asus-rog-gx501-laptop.jpeg?resize=630,44

http://laptopmedia.com/news/asus-rog-gx501-is-the-thinnest-laptop-with-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-just-16-65-mm/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Well, thats gonna be one light sucker uh? Would be good to see portable and lightweight, not portable and heavyweight for once :p.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

-snip-

Thing is, you just cant get a good enough lithium-ion/lithium-polymer battery inside a "gaming" laptop without making it over 8kg and vastly surpassing any safety and travel limitations...

Groomlake Authority

Ooooh look! It's retarded.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

?

Yes.

6 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Thing is, you just cant get a good enough lithium-ion/lithium-polymer battery inside a "gaming" laptop without making it over 8kg and vastly surpassing any safety and travel limitations...

Yes, which is why many gaming laptops either pack the high end and have some heft, or go for thin & light by going a bit conservative with the component selection.

ASUS wants the best of both worlds, and will get neither.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It looks ugly.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Year 2034 a laptop capable of 4k game at 60fps that as thin as a paper

What the hell is up with the keyboard layout? A lot of things about it is not making any sense at all to me.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 minute ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

What the hell is up with the keyboard layout? A lot of things about it is not making any sense at all to me.

It's likely that the cooler takes up the space that would traditionally be occupied by the keyboard, to avoid thermal throttling during the most mundane tasks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

I'd rather portable with actual battery life

Tada.png

20 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's likely that the cooler takes up the space that would traditionally be occupied by the keyboard, to avoid thermal throttling during the most mundane tasks.

But I am not just talking about the odd position of the keyboard itself (which is not justified, as it does not appear to be mechanical):

- The numpad is capacitive; that does more harm than good.

- There is no telling what is below the numpad and what it is useful for. Is it trying to copy Apple or IBM here?

- I can only assume that the two slots at the far sides of the keyboard are vent holes, a very inconvenient eyesore.

- You can tell with the odd shape of the spacebar that it is trying to imitate desktop-style ergonomics... why?

- There are rings in the WASD, Q, E, and R keys which I assume is for backlighting. Does Asus expect every gamer to be playing Overwatch?

- The special keys at the top are uncomfortably close to the rest of the keyboard.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

The keyboard design.. Is..

I have no words.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

8 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

But I am not just talking about the odd position of the keyboard itself (which is not justified, as it does not appear to be mechanical):

- The numpad is capacitive; that does more harm than good.

- There is no telling what is below the numpad and what it is useful for. Is it trying to copy Apple or IBM here?

-  I can only assume that the two slots at the far sides of the keyboard are vent holes, a very inconvenient eyesore.

- You can tell with the odd shape of the spacebar that it is trying to imitate desktop-style ergonomics... why?

- There are rings in the WASD, Q, E, and R keys which I assume is for backlighting.

- The special keys at the top are uncomfortably close to the rest of the keyboard.

Feels more likely those vent holes would be speakers. And the numpad would probably function like the old razer deathstalker or the new touchbar on the macbook.

8 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Does Asus expect every gamer to be playing Overwatch?

Poorly raised kids and morons dont play MMOs. Shooters and MOBAs is where the dough is.

27 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Wouldn't it be better to do a thicker laptop that can manage to cool both processor and CPU to reasonable temps? =/ 

Airflow has much more to do with that than thickness.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It's retarded. That should be enough of a review

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Looks dumb.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

1 hour ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

I'd rather portable with actual battery life

Meh, you can plug in a charger almost anywhere. I'd be perfectly happy with less weight and some 30 minutes of battery life. Would suit me just fine.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

I wonder how thermals will be handled, and how long it'll maintain peak performance, especially with that 4K monitor. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: A GTX 1080 that throttles to the point of it being a GTX 1060, because thin is better, right? Right?

This is getting out of control. Nobody realistically expects 165w of heat to be properly dissipated in that thing, on heatpipes and thin fans alone, right? They are going to need a custom vapor chamber or something, and even then, it's still going to throttle. My CPU at 4.2ghz, undervolted to 1.13v still pushes 130w under AVX2 load, and my 92 x 92 x 42mm vapor chamber still struggles to keep this thing under thermal junction in a Node 202, while actually being rated for 135w. Mark my words, this 1080 is going to throttle beyond recognition. 

This isn't even factoring in the space that will also have to be saved for the CPU cooler and battery, so the movement of that keyboard isn't entirely for the cooling solution (unless the battery is under that keyboard, which will mean even less potential battery life).

I'd much rather see a thin and light netbook with Intel's GT4e inside, and reserve most of the space for battery, instead of trying to turn a gaming machine into a mobile device, and failing at both. You don't need 1080p and 4k screens on a 12/13 inch device, a 720p screen at that size still has 122PPI, while your average 21 inch 1080p display has only 105. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I don't understand why they design such high end gaming notebooks with weird twists like this. It leads to a price point that makes it so that sales will be very low which means little profit. I honestly feel like some of the engineers get bored so they work on stupid designs that company somehow thinks is a good idea.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I feel like this laptop is a bit like hypercars: it's a test of the limits of (albeit ridiculous) engineering and its admittedly intriguing how all the tech comes together, but in reality little to no one can get close to owning one or trying one out, with no restrictions, in their lifetime. i know that for this laptop, comparing it to a hypercar is way out of league of an actual hypercar, but i can't help but see the similarities.