Possible 1080 Ti Announcement at CES

rkobird
Just now, Zyndo said:

I can say that, and it typically has one of two outcomes.

1. They tell me I'm wrong and properly educate me (and, in this case, the rest of this thread) about exactly how something works.
2. They're too prideful or ignorant to understand their gossiping/meandering only increases the already excessive amounts of misinformation already on the internet, and they come up with some lame retort rather than accepting that they just don't know what they're talking about, and that they should not be having this conversation.

All I'm trying to say is that neither of us are knowledgeable enough in this area to make any strong assertions so we should avoid making them lest we embarrass ourselves, or worse, spread misinformation to another.

Or you can use your noggin and look up what a video card bus is for and how it works, like most other people who are into technology. You don't have to build a GPU to know how it works.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Or you can use your noggin and look up what a video card bus is for and how it works, like most other people who are into technology. You don't have to build a GPU to know how it works.

Yes. you could. you should.

but you don't appear to be capable of understanding the point I'm trying to drive home for you. and its bringing this topic off thread so i'ma bow out. have a good day.

P.s. lookin real forward to 1080ti =)

Just now, Zyndo said:

but you don't appear to be capable of understanding the point I'm trying to drive home for you.

Clearly. I don't speak English so I have no idea to be honest.

59 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

So the 1080Ti will be between the 1080 and Titan XP? 

Closer to the XP.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 hours ago, Technicolors said:

So the 1080Ti will be between the 1080 and Titan XP? 

Yes, just like the 980 Ti was between the 980 and Titan X (Maxwell). That's how it works.

4 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

Well, I sold my 1080 so NVidia better not disappoint me.

probably selling mine soon too, maybe I'll man up and buy 2 1080 ti lul

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So this is also their price-drop on the 1080? If the ti is 699 or 799 dollars then that doesn't leave any space in the market for their current top-tier cards.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

3 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

So this is also their price-drop on the 1080? If the ti is 699 or 799 dollars then that doesn't leave any space in the market for their current top-tier cards.

No way the ti will be 699, not with the Titan XP being $1200.   The only way they can make the TI anything under like $750 is if they brought the Titan XP price down as well.

I suspect it'll launch at $849

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

5 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Except the fact that games don't benefit from them [true, we don't know about HMC but considering they don't benefit from HBM I doubt they will benefit from HMC (here come the latency comments)].

Latency comment.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

9 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I still side with Patrick and believe they need to throw away HBM for Hybrid-Memory-Cube.  HBM is inferior in every way to it now.

Is it more expensive?

if not then that makes me wonder why we're not using it.

Yeah looks like I'm going to be skipping another generation because Amd and nvidia and intel have shit and released that shit too late.

I'd like to upgrade from my 3770k and 560 ''tis but looks I'll have to wait even longer until they release something deserving of 700 dollars. 

5 hours ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

I'll wait one more year.

Yeah looks like I'm going to be skipping another generation because Amd and nvidia and intel have shit and released that shit too late.

I'd like to upgrade from my 3770k and 560 ''tis but looks I'll have to wait even longer until they release something deserving of 700 dollars. 

Oh well.

I'll wait one more year.

Are you aware you can edit your post instead of creating new ones?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

8 hours ago, Lays said:

probably selling mine soon too, maybe I'll man up and buy 2 1080 ti lul

Considering you have tortured, dissassembled, and knowing you, probably forced her to work beyond recognition, it is only natural that I offer you, let's say $300? That's me being generous. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Considering you have tortured, dissassembled, and knowing you, probably forced her to work beyond recognition, it is only natural that I offer you, let's say $300? That's me being generous. :P

You can't do anything to the 1080 without hard mods, and my card isn't hard modded so yea

22 hours ago, Kloaked said:

The bus size is mainly a bunch of lanes for the amount of memory that you have. The bus on the 1080 and the supposed 1080 Ti (according to the specs in the OP) shouldn't matter for raw speed, it's just there for the memory size. The rate of which the data comes to and from the GPU's memory will mostly be determined by how fast the memory is to begin with.

This is also why I say HBM/2 is mostly a gimmick since it has a gigantic bus and speed yet no game will (or even can) take advantage of it.

This is nonsense. What matters is bandwidth. Bandwidth is the product of data rate and bus width. A boost from 256-bit to 384-bit bus width matters more than the drop from GDDR5X to GDDR5, assuming the data rates are 10 and 8 GT/s respectively (the speeds used on the 1060, 1070, 1080, and Titan XP).

HBM likewise was not a gimmick, it's just too expensive for most cards, the requisite bandwidth can more easily be hit with GDDR5/X for most cards, and the first-gen HBM came with the downside of limited memory capacity (4GB on the Fury X was a bit awkward).

19 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

This is nonsense.

Not really, mate.

13 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

What matters is bandwidth.

I didn't say it wasn't important, I'm just saying the speed of the memory itself shouldn't be *nerfed* compared to the 1080 and the Titan X(P). I know that the bus size is mainly indicative of how much memory the GPU will have, not just the speed of data. With it apparently dropping to GDDR5 and not the X version, it's strange. Not that it would be a big deal, but it's dumb that (if true) the Titan X(P) and 1080 will have GDDR5X but not the 1080 Ti (again, if true).

13 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

A boost from 256-bit to 384-bit bus width matters more than the drop from GDDR5X to GDDR5, assuming the data rates are 10 and 8 GT/s respectively (the speeds used on the 1060, 1070, 1080, and Titan XP).

If it's going to have more memory than the 1080, a larger bus would help. All I said was that if it's going to have GDDR5 memory and not the X version, it'll be odd given that the 1080 and the Titan X(P) both have it. With it having a larger bus size, more memory speed would make it even better.

I don't know what the hoopla is about here.

20 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

HBM likewise was not a gimmick

Yes it is, and I already said why.

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

Not really, mate.

I didn't say it wasn't important, I'm just saying the speed of the memory itself shouldn't be *nerfed* compared to the 1080 and the Titan X(P). I know that the bus size is mainly indicative of how much memory the GPU will have, not just the speed of data. With it apparently dropping to GDDR5 and not the X version, it's strange. Not that it would be a big deal, but it's dumb that (if true) the Titan X(P) and 1080 will have GDDR5X but not the 1080 Ti (again, if true).

If it's going to have more memory than the 1080, a larger bus would help. All I said was that if it's going to have GDDR5 memory and not the X version, it'll be odd given that the 1080 and the Titan X(P) both have it. With it having a larger bus size, more memory speed would make it even better.

I don't know what the hoopla is about here.

Yes it is, and I already said why.

You've misunderstood something, then. The most important aspect of the bus width is its effect on the memory bandwidth. It only has a tangential influence on the memory capacity.

And the GTX 1080 Ti having more memory bandwidth than the GTX 1080 but less than the Titan XP is exactly what you'd expect.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

You've misunderstood something, then.

Pretty sure that isn't the problem.

I don't care what kind of memory it has, as long as there's enough bandwidth to keep a powerful GPU fed at all times. 

400GB/s plus the memory overclocking on G5 (800-1000MHz) should be sufficient for a GPU of this stature.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

I don't care what kind of memory it has, as long as there's enough bandwidth to keep a powerful GPU fed at all times. 

400GB/s plus the memory overclocking on G5 (800-1000MHz) should be sufficient for a GPU of this stature.

384-bit 8 GT/s would yield 384 GB/s of bandwidth.

This and Zen+Vega makes this the first poor man's Computex I care about

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.