Project AZISAI: i7-7700K | GTX 1080 | MasterCase Pro 3 | EK Water Cooling (Complete!)

Project AZISAI: Kaby Lake mATX Custom Water Cooled Build

Hello LTT Forum!

So I built my first desktop back in 2011, and that trusty 2600K/560-Ti rig has served me well through all of my five years of college and then some (though I admittedly haven't done much PC gaming in the past year or so).  But now that I've achieved independent adult status and am making a decent salary, it's about time I finally step it up and build myself a high-end machine. :D I want it to seamlessly run modern titles at 2560x1440 with high refresh rates and be sexy and silent while doing it, so I'm going with the top-of-the-line hardware, custom water cooling, and a color-neutral theme with RGB lighting everywhere!

I'll be doing this build in parts, just because I won't have all the money at once.  Here are the components lists, with the stuff that's arrived or that I'm carrying over from my current PC in green:

Part 1: Tower

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 (until water cooling happens)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming

Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200

Storage (OS): Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2

Storage (Data): Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW

Chassis: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 (w/ Tempered Glass side panel)

PSU: Corsair AX860i

PSU Cables: CableMod ModFlex Sleeved Cables (white)

120mm Fans: 4x Noctua NF-F12 LinusTechTips Special Edition (w/ white Noctua Chromax accents)

140mm Fans: 1x Noctua NF-A14 LinusTechTips Special Edition (w/ white Noctua Chromax accents)

Lighting: CableMod WideBeam Magnetic RGB Strips

Part 2: Peripherals

Monitor: Dell S2716DGR

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown)

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Part 3: Water Cooling

CPU Block: EK Supremacy EVO (Full Nickel)

GPU Block: EK FC1080 GTX FTW (Acetal+Nickel, Nickel Backplate)

Pump/Reservoir: EK RES X3 140 Revo D5 PWM

Fittings: EK ACF (Black Nickel)

Radiators: 2x EK CoolStream SE 240

Tubing: EK DuraClear 3/8" ID 5/8" OD

Coolant: EK Ekoolant Pastel White

I'm glad I stocked up on the beautiful Linus edition Noctuas back in April.  Finally they'll be put to good use! :P

So as soon as the Kaby Lake Desktop parts hit, I'll be placing my orders for the tower.  CES can't come soon enough!

Stay tuned for updates!

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Super Excited to see how this pans out! Also really excited for CES and hopefully some 1080ti stuff!

First up, the MasterCase Pro 3!  (all the photos are from my One M8's potato camera, sorry for that lol)

7eXXtQE.jpg

MFQXHnd.jpg

P6vSniY.jpg

Spoiler

QDzQQLP.jpg

nYlty7A.jpg

Some disassembly to explore the case and ditch some pieces I won't be using.

cAAtgRF.jpg

dUhl48h.jpg

MQIndFL.jpg

w0li6L5.jpg

I'm glad I went with the 3 over the 5, the compact size is quite nice.  It's actually not much smaller than my ATX midtower CM Storm Enforcer (it's a bit taller even), but it uses the space much more effectively for sure.  The Enforcer has abysmal water cooling support, with only a rear 120 rad supported natively.

JgJJTvs.jpg

tk2NJNM.jpg

I've ordered most of the tower and parts should show up throughout the week!  By next weekend I should have everything save for the memory (hopefully that releases within the next two weeks) and the cablemod stuff (waiting for the motherboard so I can use the 20% off coupon).  Also waiting for the tempered glass side panel to show up on the US CM Store because I definitely want in on that trend!

More photos to come!

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Im curious how the Dark Rock pro 3 can handle the temps of the I7 7700k as im planning on getting the same and overclocking. Since its so new now and i would prefer to get the parts i need when i have the money. I hear the I7 7700k has some thermal problems on retail chips on an OC and stock so if you would post thermals when you have it assembled that would be awesome.

12 hours ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Im curious how the Dark Rock pro 3 can handle the temps of the I7 7700k as im planning on getting the same and overclocking. Since its so new now and i would prefer to get the parts i need when i have the money. I hear the I7 7700k has some thermal problems on retail chips on an OC and stock so if you would post thermals when you have it assembled that would be awesome.

Oops, I have a Dark Rock 3, not the Pro lol.  Fixed the OP.

I likely won't even bother overclocking until I get the water loop going since it shouldn't be on air for too long. 

If you could try just a small OC and post thermals without the OC that would be apreciated

On 1/9/2017 at 5:27 PM, EmoChipmonk said:

If you could try just a small OC and post thermals without the OC that would be apreciated

Sure, I can check that out.  Maybe I'll see how well ASUS's auto overclock thing works.

Got a whole bunch of goodies in the mail yesterday!

VYOoVxR.jpg

MicroATX is a fantastic form factor, I'm surprised it isn't nearly as popular as ATX honestly.

ncZpujl.jpg

I'll be ditching the ACX cooler for a water block soon enough, but I can enjoy its beauty for a few weeks at least.

wWAFvxU.jpg

Goodbye mechanical storage, I won't miss you.

SlbNaKh.jpg

I realized that all the 120mm fans will be hidden behind radiators once I do the loop...oh well, I'll know the accents color match and that's all that matters :P.

skcw8Px.jpg

EH3k7LT.jpg

Spoiler

F8p07OG.jpg

Boo the box came all beat up I like using my boxes as decoration lol

lHChCPa.jpg

wB37XZE.jpg

Unrbib0.jpg

gfWGeoO.jpg

3Bt3zNV.jpg

huD77OK.jpg

yHinpbh.jpg

84GexH2.jpg

KNOYAaA.jpg

9zfvUOk.jpg

kU9b4MS.jpg

x0u1YRD.jpg

ToBhip0.jpg

Expensive as hell but the reviews all say it's the cream of the crop so

bkzJ2jD.jpg

5FJKGIR.jpg

Sorry linus but the orange isn't quite gonna work in this build

zlhP7tl.jpg

I'm gonna have an extra fan lol I don't think I was set on MicroATX yet when I bought these

It'll all come together soon!  I'll have the 950 Pro in my hands tomorrow, I've placed my CableMod order, and I've pre-ordered the G.Skill TridentZ RGB modules on newegg.  The tower should be all good to go by the end of January!

Still crossing my fingers for that tempered glass side panel though...

This is gonna be one hell of an upgrade.

WgDhKtH.jpg

Thanks. Parts got moved till Febuary so i now have time to find out weather or not i have made  a good decision or not for my plans

Way more storage speed than I could possibly take advantage of

RpZrDbg.jpg

rNfmbgF.jpg

5 hours ago, MdX MaxX said:

Way more storage speed than I could possibly take advantage of

RpZrDbg.jpg

rNfmbgF.jpg

Over kill? : Yes
Sexy as Hell? : HELL YES.

The envy is real. Any thoughts on getting some WD red drives for long term storage (or getting a nas or somthing)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2017 at 1:40 AM, EmoChipmonk said:

Any thoughts on getting some WD red drives for long term storage (or getting a nas or somthing)

I don't have a very large media collection, so 1TB has been pretty okay for me.  Maybe at some point in the future I'll add a second storage drive.

So I'm almost ready to build this thing!  The TridentZ RGB memory just shipped out today, so that's all I'll need to get the system running.  My CableMod order is delayed unfortunately because they're moving, so that won't come in until late February, but that's no big deal as that's all purely aesthetics.

I also decided to hop up to the K95 RGB Platinum because why not lol.  It's a hefty pricetag but it's a keyboard that I'll keep using for as long as it works, so I imagine I'll get my money's worth.

While I wait for those, here's a little bonus:

dTDmzx7.jpg

I decided to buy into ASUS's 3D printing gimmick a little bit and get myself an IO cover.  It looks pretty good; I actually might decide to get another one later with the metallic plastic material since the motherboard has a whole lot of grey/silver going on and my water cooling components are going to have a lot of shiny nickel plating.

ZagqEX5.jpg

mYqhu7u.jpg

JUuPdrU.jpg 

The memory should arrive this coming Tuesday, so stay tuned!

4 hours ago, MdX MaxX said:

I don't have a very large media collection, so 1TB has been pretty okay for me.  Maybe at some point in the future I'll add a second storage drive.

So I'm almost ready to build this thing!  The TridentZ RGB memory just shipped out today, so that's all I'll need to get the system running.  My CableMod order is delayed unfortunately because they're moving, so that won't come in until late February, but that's no big deal as that's all purely aesthetics.

I also decided to hop up to the K95 RGB Platinum because why not lol.  It's a hefty pricetag but it's a keyboard that I'll keep using for as long as it works, so I imagine I'll get my money's worth.

While I wait for those, here's a little bonus:

dTDmzx7.jpg

I decided to buy into ASUS's 3D printing gimmick a little bit and get myself an IO cover.  It looks pretty good; I actually might decide to get another one later with the metallic plastic material since the motherboard has a whole lot of grey/silver going on and my water cooling components are going to have a lot of shiny nickel plating.

ZagqEX5.jpg

mYqhu7u.jpg

JUuPdrU.jpg 

The memory should arrive this coming Tuesday, so stay tuned!

Wow thats not bad.so Why the strix and not the hero or somthing?

On 1/26/2017 at 11:59 PM, EmoChipmonk said:

Wow thats not bad.so Why the strix and not the hero or somthing?

I wanted MicroATX, and the Maximus IX Gene hasn't been announced yet, so this is the next best thing. :)

Also I'm changing up my monitor choice!  I was doing some last-minute research on the Dell S2716DGR, which has effectively the same specs as the ASUS PG278Q (2560x1440, 144Hz, G-Sync, TN).  I had looked at this monitor before, but what I didn't realize is that it can be had for $479.99 at Best Buy!  Even when you add sales tax it comes out to ~$519.99, which is a full 160 DOLLARS CHEAPER than the PG278QR on Newegg at $679.99.  No way I can justify dropping the extra cash on the ASUS display for essentially the same specs, especially with ASUS's quality control being more questionable according to product reviews.  So Dell it is!  And I can pick it up in store like tomorrow lol.

Less than two days until I get this build going!  Could be tomorrow if FedEx decides to be nice, it got scanned in Dallas last night...crossing my fingers haha.

Oh also, the tempered glass side panel went up on the Cooler Master Store!  (Only after I bugged them on their facebook page of course, heh)  So I should have that gorgeous addition to the build relatively soon!

Picked up the monitor last night.  Simple, classy design.  I'm a fan.

afVIHKo.jpg

J6FFaSL.jpg

Spoiler

RAGf9s1.jpg

EXCmNOF.jpg

etq7h7z.jpg

At long last I get to experience the wonders of adaptive refresh

sPWZa67.jpg?1

And my patience has been rewarded!

Jn5Esq5.jpg

All the functional pieces are ready to go!  Time to build.

r5whliK.jpg

And a bittersweet goodbye to my first machine, my trusty daily driver for five and a half years.

0pGWUBM.jpg

Oh this memory is beautiful

glKuNXB.jpg

N0pZFZP.jpg

4x6EoPV.jpg

Time for the test boot

i97vMYe.jpg

Av66OLG.jpg

pPeVn4i.jpg

YOzzcaL.jpg

qBVRbPK.jpg

c1iOkxE.jpg

And it POSTs!

CYCFR3S.jpg

Gorgeous

2Zna9I1.jpg

Now to get it all in here

1M4cwT4.jpg

"Only" four fans for now

uZE8XtJ.jpg

SF0iJLC.jpg

So sleek

K90tC0G.jpg

In goes the boot drive

wXYGBqa.jpg

Now to put it all together

aVUkx0S.jpg

PRvNaBw.jpg

xfNZToI.jpg

xZ8byGg.jpg

I'm gonna miss this cooler when I rip it off...wonder if there's a way to wire it up and control it externally...

GQyH04G.jpg

Y6BNBvj.jpg

Alright, time to get windows installed!

xXhEAGt.jpg

suhjSBx.jpg

Stay tuned for more photos, I'll be getting tempered glass and peripherals really soon!  We'll see if the K95 RGB Platinum actually ships out soon, looks like stock is scarce...

Now to make my measurements and finalize the water cooling equipment!

Oh man here it is

lLvhSjg.jpg

Translucent Dark Green eh?

Juga1fn.jpg

Well-packaged

Ke7vIKi.jpg

Yesss

Wf5XmJx.jpg

The slight green tint is there but it surely won't show when it's on the case

DSOwt9K.jpg

I like the mechanism, super easy, no screws to deal with

WKueJAu.jpg

Oh god it's so beautiful

PBjASiH.jpg

I am 100% on this bandwagon

dtubdru.jpg

In other news, I booted up Mirror's Edge Catalyst for a few minutes (I've been dying to play this) and it's so buttery smooth, I'm definitely a believer in G-Sync.  Time to get back into gaming!

I also put in the orders for my EK parts!  Got a few things from performance-pcs just because of stock.  I decided to go with SE rads instead of the PEs just because space is a bit tight and I want to make my life easy, and 2 dual rads of any thickness are gonna perform great anyway.  Also went with the pump/res combo because it should be able to squeeze in there, though I bought a smaller tube with it just in case (again, just making life easy).

Mouse should arrive next week (also went with a Corsair MM300 mousepad) and I'm crossing my fingers that the keyboard will ship on Tuesday as newegg says it will lol, but we'll see.

Also this thing is so heavy already and it doesn't even have rads or water in it yet...how will I ever lift this thing haha.

More updates to come!

Mouse upgrade!

nfacgdO.jpg

V73AZdt.jpg

r3PnOlq.jpg

Ojrixjr.jpg

1dFinS0.jpg

vdDcf4h.jpg

Comfy, smooth, and precise, just as anyone would expect from a top of the line mouse.  Glides nicely on the mousepad.

So the Newegg release date went by for the K95 RGB Platinum (twice) and no updates on my preorder.  So I looked around to try to get it elsewhere and turns out it's in stock at Corsair's shop.  Ordered yesterday, shipped today.  Well forget you then Newegg lol.

Rads should get here tomorrow!  The rest of the water cooling and the CableMod order TBD.

My old CM Storm trigger was looking quite out of place next to everything else...time to fix that, :)

3QF6e58.jpg

jXHXBNl.jpg

IjH0IcP.jpg

z4qcnfl.jpg

CTpewKq.jpg

G0K8y8J.jpg

l25FivW.jpg

hcSG75V.jpg

mHM8jtk.jpg

BjHhAEH.jpg

GBL1RYQ.jpg

aruZZRh.jpg?1

pq6ybdZ.jpg

pY8cpsJ.jpg

I'm finally all color-coordinated!

rcxyeFF.jpg

Ihbk0Op.jpg

I really wish I had a quality camera now lol, the keyboard is truly beautiful especially once you get some tasteful lighting effects going.  I can't wait to see how vibrant the tower becomes with the CableMod LED strips!  (CableMod theoretically should be done with their move and start shipping orders out again this Friday, so hopefully the wait isn't much longer.)

All my EK parts should show up tomorrow as well!  I probably want to wait for my sleeved cables before putting together the whole loop, but maybe this weekend I'll go ahead and mount the reservoir, test fit things, and do some more detailed planning of the loop.

It's all coming together...

These boxes are works of art on their own

Wqqo5jW.jpg

2 hours ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Whats the plan for the air cooler after you water cool the thing?

It'll probably just sit in my closet with the rest of my old rig for now haha.  Not sure what I'm going to do with any of it since I doubt a bunch of Sandy Bridge era parts are going to sell for much.  It's always good to have a spare air cooler around anyway.

Also I highly doubt I'm going to try any overclocking on this air cooler.  My tube of MX-4 ran out and I didn't want to use the new paste just yet since it's a small amount, so I used a tube of some questionable quality paste from 6 years ago...probably not an ideal situation lol but at stock speeds it'll be fine until I get the loop going.

This weekend's gonna be fun...

UhANmJE.jpg

On 2/2/2017 at 10:30 PM, MdX MaxX said:
Spoiler

Oh this memory is beautiful

glKuNXB.jpg

N0pZFZP.jpg

4x6EoPV.jpg

Time for the test boot

i97vMYe.jpg

Av66OLG.jpg

pPeVn4i.jpg

YOzzcaL.jpg

qBVRbPK.jpg

c1iOkxE.jpg

And it POSTs!

CYCFR3S.jpg

Gorgeous

2Zna9I1.jpg

Now to get it all in here

1M4cwT4.jpg

"Only" four fans for now

uZE8XtJ.jpg

SF0iJLC.jpg

So sleek

K90tC0G.jpg

In goes the boot drive

wXYGBqa.jpg

Now to put it all together

aVUkx0S.jpg

PRvNaBw.jpg

xfNZToI.jpg

xZ8byGg.jpg

I'm gonna miss this cooler when I rip it off...wonder if there's a way to wire it up and control it externally...

GQyH04G.jpg

Y6BNBvj.jpg

Alright, time to get windows installed!

xXhEAGt.jpg

suhjSBx.jpg

Stay tuned for more photos, I'll be getting tempered glass and peripherals really soon!  We'll see if the K95 RGB Platinum actually ships out soon, looks like stock is scarce...

Now to make my measurements and finalize the water cooling equipment!

Hey man, how did you get the Linustechtips fans?? Where can i order them? 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

5 hours ago, keavlar said:

Hey man, how did you get the Linustechtips fans?? Where can i order them? 

I bought them during the second limited run back in April 2016.  It unfortunately doesn't look like they'll be available again.  To get a similar look you could go with Noctua IndustrialPPC fans, but they're supposedly a bit louder at the same RPMs. 

The CableMod order is finally here!  Time to wrap this build up this weekend!

2KRGhPh.jpg